PDA

View Full Version : I had it treated long ago, why do I still have it?

DP
09-12-03, 00:44
I got it treated...it should be gone...
When I first had OCD it was mainly for me doing things like always washing my hands and stuff, and I thought it was gone...but I just read something from this site: http://www.ocdsupport.c14.net/
and I realized I have major Obsession issues, I really don't want to go see another doctor about it because the last time I did the medicine really messed me up, and I cant risk it because I am in my last years of high school, I will not let my grades drop like last time...and also, I really hated having to see that quack.
I also still have slight compultions, but nothing too major...
and I notice I might have anxiety...many of you complain about chest pains...I have many of these, and also I sometimes tic, like many of the other people I have read about...I think I might be starting to understand some of the things I think is wrong with me...

Meg
09-12-03, 09:13
Dear Sally,

Anxiety and OCD are not like infections that get treated once and then miraculously disappear.
You have to work at keeping them at bay for a long time until your brain no longer thinks that way. If you meant treated with meds , then if you didn't also treat the way you thought and perceived life then when you come off your meds not much has essentially changed, they mask the symptoms - not treat the cause. If you were treated with CBT then keep at your tasks and exercises .

Have a good search around this site and then come back and post if you have any questions you think we may be able to help with.

Meg

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...