PDA

View Full Version : panic attacks

gizmobilly
19-12-08, 12:57
hi im liz.ive been suffering with panic attacks on and off for several years now and finding them very hard to deal with

jill
19-12-08, 13:12
Hi hun :D:hugs:

:welcome: to the site.

Please take time to read through the site, there are lots of threads with great advice and also great info which is on the left hand side, eg, first steps how to cope and other great info, we also have a chat room,

You have come to the right place, there are lots of nice people here who will help and support you.

TAKE CARE

LOVE JILL XXX

Wenjoy
19-12-08, 15:33
I have had panic attacks since I was 22 - I am now 48 but you can get through it I promise. I have about 80% good times and the only bad ones are when I have to go to aparty, shopping, theatre, meals out etc etc
I force myself to go and stay a short time but at least all of us on here try our best! Ask questions and read the site its been my godsend over the years.Wenjoy x

Utility
19-12-08, 17:08
Hi

As they say in Dad's Army, "Don't Panic". We all get them and there are lots of people who don't even realise it.

I am in a management position responsible for about 50 people. I have to do presentations in front staff/clients and have lots of confidence as a result, yet I can suffer from anxiety/panic situations. The only difference now from a year ago is that I know how to deal with them and that is why you will find sites like this a help.

Wenjoy
19-12-08, 18:55
utility - how do you deal with a panic attack when you get one?
Wenjoy x

lorac
19-12-08, 20:56
Hi Liz

Welcome to the site I am sure you will get lots of good advice and support on here.

Take care.

Carol

Patty
19-12-08, 21:34
Hi Liz, :)

:welcome: to NMP. It's great that you've joined. There is so much information & help here.

Best wishes xx :bighug1:

Utility
20-12-08, 01:00
Hi Wenjoy,

In reply to your question, I use a few methods.

I do first have to say that they are no longer as severe as they used to be but I have put that down to the methods working.

When a situation arises I put a lot of emphasis on controling my breathing (in other words slowing it down). I also focus my thoughts on distractive methods, just thinking of something completely off the wall. The good one being trying to count backwords from 100 to 1. For a while I went along to yoga classes (me in a class of 25 women) convinced they would do nothing for me, but how wrong I was. It just changed my whole focus of attention and taught me how to relax. I also don't walk as fast as I used to and it is amazing how a simple thing like that slows down the pulse rate. Exercise is an important factor for me in contributing to overall wellbeing and helping your system to cope. When I mean exercising it does not have to be marathon running. Anything that gets your system working that wee bit harder does the job (a brisk walk etc). CBT helped me a lot because it trains you to focus on the positive days and ignore the negatives. Finaly I confront situations that I may in the past have avoided. They are never as bad as you imagine then to be.

I went through a point earlier this year where I was convinced that every night when I went to sleep I wouldn't waken up. The pulse was racing, thumping heart, shortness of breath, pains in arms and the vicious circle of the anxiety and panic feeding the pains. All that has changed as a result of using a mixture of these various methods and it all adds up to better wellbeing.

Wenjoy
20-12-08, 09:35
Thankyou for your reply - I too am a habitual "rusher" and have tried to slow my pace down and not route march round supermarkets etc etc - years of having a dad in the RAF meant everything in my life was regimented so you get used to faster pace etc. I will try to slow my breathing down and when in a panic situation I will count backwards from 100 and distract myself!!!
Thankyou and good luck in the future - we are all in the same boat and we all have to believe it is just our thoughts that frighten us - we can overcome this! Wenjoy x

Utility
20-12-08, 15:50
No problem Wenjoy,

I actually missed out one of the most frequent things I do because it has become second nature to me. Every evening when I come home from work I change into casual clothing, relax on my bed with the room darkened and focus on my breathing. Slowing it down for about 5 mins or so. I make sure I do this even if I don't feel the need because it makes the relaxed breathing become the norm.

sunshine-lady
20-12-08, 16:14
Hi
:welcome: to NMP, I'm sure you will like it here as there is so much advice and support.

chat is fun too:biggrin:

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/images/misc/progress.gif

Southern_Belle
20-12-08, 20:40
Hi Liz,

Welcome to NMP. Many here will understand how you have been feeling and you will get support.

Take care,

Laura