PDA

View Full Version : Is 5htp really safe to take?

geddy
19-12-08, 13:53
Hi all,
Im just asking if anyone out there knows just how safe 5htp is?
Its working wonders for me and i feel sooooooooo much better!!!

But after reading up correct doses etc i am slightly concerned how safe it really is to take? One right up was about possible heart thrombosis!!!!!!!!

I dont wanna stop taking it as it is working so well, but i dont wanna cause health problems either!!! grrrrr

Wenjoy
19-12-08, 15:31
It worked brill for me for a while - just one tablet a night at bedtime from healthshop but lately its making me feel icky int he morning so have stopped.
Wenjoy x

rainwave
20-12-08, 14:42
:huh: Yes, for the most part it is safe. But it should not be taken like a conventional drug. It works best when you have other cofactors in balance like vit-b6 and b-12. It effects everyone differently. Depending how well you are absorbing nutrients is a huge factor in the outcome of this supplement as well. Also I suggest a well reputable pharmaceutical grade supplement with the purest of 5htp to fillers. I have not heard problems with heart attacks except maybe in the 90’s when there was a bad batch of trytophan due to the filler involved and not the trytophan in it’s self. Bad batch was from china. There can be issues if you combine with SSRI or any other conventional anxiety-depression drug. Care must be taken here. Wenjoy as far as it not working so well this could be due to the fact that it sometimes competes against other amino acids to cross the blood brain barrier,like other calming amino acids. This is why it is important to have a complete panel done to see what you are deficient in. To much of one amino acid 5HTP can wipe out another. Thats why you can't take it like conventional medicine-it takes work

nickieb
20-12-08, 15:30
Its is safe nowadays to take yes, holland & barrett do a very good one xx

geddy
20-12-08, 15:48
Thank you guys!!

Its done wonders for my mood and aniexty has all but gone!!! But just worried after some write ups on net!!!! grrrrr google grrrrr lol

tryingtocope
17-01-09, 20:32
what is 5htp? from what im reading it seems worth trying?