PDA

View Full Version : Supplements

Gareth
28-06-05, 14:50
Hi there

I tried St John's Wort for my GAD for about 6 weeks but it did nothing for me and since then I lost faith in taking any natural supplements.

But now my attitude is - getting better is about getting generally healthier, so maybe I should take some supplements and not think they are going to cure me, but just take them because they might make me a little healthier.

So... I am thinking of going for a Vit B complex + Vit C + Calcium and magnesium tablets.

Does that sound like a good combo to you? Are there any more that people would recommend for someone with GAD, who wants to lower their constant level of anxiety/depression but isn't really bothered by panic attacks?

How about Omega fish oils? Or Chromium?

Thanks a lot,
Gareth

*** I think, therefore I'm anxious ***

Meg
28-06-05, 14:57
Yes Gareth,

Great attitude and choices - add Omega 3's.

Vit B supports the nervous system so always vital when struggling in this area

Vit C - good all round protector and especially if a smoker

Ca/Mg - good reputation if you have palpitations but not necessary medium or long term if you have a good diet, so maybe take as a course for a month and then drop to 2-3 times a week.

Omegas are now really coming through in research as the brain nutrient - think our grandparents already knew that..

Are you tinkering with your diet too ?

Hypoglycemia (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=189)
GI: Gi Diet (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3179)

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

Gareth
28-06-05, 15:04
Hi Meg

Thanks for the reply. I wasn't sure about the Omega 3's but will add those.

I am trying hard with the diet - I eat a lot of fresh veg and chicken and fish. My problem is still trying to eat during the day, I just find that I am not at all hungry. This is another reason for thinking about the supplements - I need some nutrients during the day if I am not eating.

thanks
Gareth

Meg
28-06-05, 15:15
Gareth,

Nice thought .. nutrients being protein, carbs and fats - muscle fuel and energy providers which none of these will be able to help with.

I salute you for your efforts. Most probably you will not be hungry cos you have xx years of habit to break.

Can you try to eat in increments of 15/ 30 minutes earlier each week, so in a month you will have significant progress.

Also Gareth, if you are succeeding in making overall progress maybe this regular food regime just isn't an issue for you and you are ok in your old pattern.

Its not '1 size fits all' recovery so whilst we do promote holistic optimum health, if you're doing ok and this is causing you grief do your own thing..

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

Gareth
28-06-05, 15:40
Well, I think maybe I am thinking along these lines because I thought I was doing a lot better and then my anxiety went absolutely haywire over the weekend, and this week I find myself pretty low and depressed as a result.

Am trying to see it as just a blip though and keep going with all the good stuff. So I am kind of looking into the whole holistic thing again. Doing everything I can makes me feel like I am doing what I need to do, if you see what I mean, which as a result makes me feel better about myself because I am working hard at this...

thanks
Gareth