PDA

View Full Version : How do others cope with your panic attacks?

shortstuff
20-12-08, 22:06
I had a rough day yesterday (the festive season brought home the things I am no longer able to do!).

Anyway, I was meant to be going to a friends for tea. I don't see these two friends often but keep in touch regularly. I arrived and the agoraphobia kicked in. I could not get out of the car. One of my friends sat in the car with me while I had a panic attack which left me an emotional wreck!

Having spoken to them since, I have realised just how frightening an experience seeing me like that was for them and wondered how other people's friends and family cope.

I've never hidden my condition from those close to me, but have a tendancy to gloss over the worst parts to 'protect' them. I live miles away from family and keep in touch with friends by phone mostly - seeing them once every month or so.

I wrote a leaflet to try to help people understand a bit more about panic disorder and how it impacts on me and how I cope with it. I'm not sure if it would help or make things worse. I was hoping I could ask you lovely people (if of course I manage to attach it).

Nic

johnnicholls
20-12-08, 22:25
Spot on...excepting the self harm, not done that. :yesyes:

Snowshadow
20-12-08, 22:40
Great idea and well done!! :) People who have never had a panic attack can't "really" understand, but this would help a lot!!

shortstuff
20-12-08, 22:51
Thanks for the feedback folks!

minihaha
20-12-08, 23:30
hiya, great work on the leaflet - just had a read over it and relate to all of it, apart from the bit on self harm. What a great approach you have taken to letting ppl understand, associate and help with your panic disorder - you should be very proud of yourself - its a great idea. Most of my close friends are aware of my condition but i struggle a bit when i feel panicky if i am with my mum or my brother - i get the impression they think its me being a bit highly strung rather than a genuine disorder.

Best of luck with everything xx

LACEYA1961
21-12-08, 13:56

I wrote a leaflet to try to help people understand a bit more about panic disorder and how it impacts on me and how I cope with it. I'm not sure if it would help or make things worse. I was hoping I could ask you lovely people (if of course I manage to attach it).

Nic[/quote]

Hi, Nic!

That was a great pamphlet you wrote.

For me I have lots of support and understanding from my family...hubby and two grown sons. My hubby will stay up with me all night if he has to and he'll talk to me or try to hold me if I can handle it. He's very understanding and loving. He's not fearful though because I've been teaching him about panic attacks and he's the one that coaches me and let's me know I'm not dying lol My son's live away from me but I can call them anytime day or night and talk if I need to. I've done it many times. I'm very blessed.

Since I rarely go anywhere it's only my hubby that really gets to see me when I'm in a panic attack and I don't really know anyone where I live except for my neighbors. I've had them come over and pray for me when I've been in bad shape and they're very kind and loving. My hubby's cousin came to check on me a couple of times when my hubby was out of town and he saw me in a panic one time...he did very well and talked me down. He's the first one that suggested I do something when I'm like to occupy my mind and he was right of course.

Take care,

Lacey

shortstuff
21-12-08, 21:27
Well, I've sent to to a couple of my friends and intend to print a couple off to take with me when I visit family over the holiday.

A lot of the people I see every day are great at doing and saying the right thing. My family are really supportive but because I don't see them regularly they don't always realise the extent of it all - and then because they care, tend to be over-concerned when I have a 'do' near them!

Thanks again for everyone's input - it helped me to decide that I had done the right thing. I will let you know if it does help those around me.

Nic

ThreeBee23
22-12-08, 05:18
That is great! You have really taken a step toward helping those around you know what is going on and what to do to help you. That is such a smart idea. Almost the equivilent of a diabetic wearing a bracelet to let others know their condition, you help others by giving them information rather than leting them make assumptions based on ignorance of the condition.

That was really a smart thing to do. I'm impressed!

oakwood22
22-12-08, 12:24
That is really great and have decided to something similar for my family and friends. My son told me yesterday that it's just a lot of ****** nonsense and to pull myself together. It didn't help!
I just calmly told him I hope he never has to go through it. But then cried for hours when he'd gone. Until you suffer you'll never understand.