PDA

View Full Version : My daughter

Tracy68
20-12-08, 22:41
Hi
For a change this isn't about me lol its about my daughter who's 14. She said to me earlier after having bath and shaving under arms that she was sore under her right one so i just said probs caught it while shaving. Well anyways she lifted up her right arm and it seems that the whole of her arm pit is swollen up. Its not a definate lump like a gland, i asked if it hurt when she pressed on it but she says no, just sore on the skin. She said she hasn't twisted her arm or knocked it so i'm a bit baffled as to why its gone like this.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Tracy
xx

LucyR
21-12-08, 03:09
Hi, Is it just red sore skin do you know? Could it be psoriasis? that causes inflammation of the skin and can break out under the arms, it will be pinky red and will take on a swollen appearance, it comes and goes if its that, it does start at around the age your daughter is now too.

LucyR
21-12-08, 03:11
Oh yes, and if it is that, tell her not to apply much in the way of deodorants as it stings like I don't know what!!

LeeBee
21-12-08, 06:25
The skin under your arms is quite sensitive. If you shave then it can easily become irritated and inflamed. Especially if you use antiperspirants or deodorants on the skin soon after shaving - that's why they tell you not to use on "broken" skin - recently shaved skin is almost like broken skin.

I wouldn't worry too much, just avoid putting anything astringent (like alcohol-based antiperspirant) on it for a few days and see how it goes. A cool flannel or calamine lotion might soothe it a bit. If it's still sore in a day or two or gets worse then a trip to the doctor might be in order.

LucyR
21-12-08, 23:07
If the problem is psoriasis, the only thing the doctor will do is give you some cream, but I find it goes on its own.

Tracy68
22-12-08, 21:18
Hi
Thanks for the replies. Her skin isn't red or broken, she said it was just a bit sore. My mate had a look at it and said "you better get her to docs quick as you can, has she checked for lumps in her boobs you just can't tell with breast cancer" I was like OMG what a thing to say to a 14 year old :mad:.
Well the swelling has gone down a bit and she says its not so sore today but she already has a docs appt for tomorrow regarding something else so I'll probably mention it to him then anyways.

Thanks again
xx

Burnsey
22-12-08, 21:33
sometimes i get theat when shaving under my arms (im 26) sometimes can be like a spot under the skin or ingrown hair

Lynnann
22-12-08, 22:01
Hi Tracey,

I don't think you have too much to worry about, probably a mild infection from an ingrown hair. The doc appointment is the best way to go; I had something similar about that age and left it, ended up becoming an abcess that had to be operated on. Soonest recognised soonest mended.

Take care

Lynnann

LeeBee
23-12-08, 07:16
As others have said, could be an ingrown hair or minor infection - either way nothing to worry about and easily treated. What it certainly could NOT be is breast cancer. Breast cancer in young teenagers is unheard of, and breast cancer almost never presents with pain - it's usually just a lump. You must be quite annoyed and/or amused by your friend's comment. Perhaps she wasn't being serious?