PDA

View Full Version : Advice for a newie?

looby
28-06-05, 14:56
Hello,

I have just found this web site, and feel I an really benefit from some of your advice.

I had my first panic attack nearly 3 years ago whilest on holiday with my boyfriend. It was awful. I needed to get back to the apartment, but I couldn't cope with getting in a taxi to get back. Anyway, I carried on as if nothing had happened, and when I eventually returned to work after my holiday, I couldn't cope, and ended up having a breakdown. I was put on various medication and was sent to see a counsellor who is excellent.

I was off work for nearly 2 years, I couldn't leave the house, when I did I felt as if everyone was looking at me. I put on a huge amount of weight, and have become so self concious of the way I look.

Everything started going really well again, I got a new job, with lovely understanding people, my new house is starting to look like home, and my boyfriend and I are getting close again. However, 2 months ago, I was really stressed. There was a major health scare with my sister, which turned out to be negative, thank God! I had to apply for the job I was doing and other trivial things, which I blew out of all proportion. I ended up having my paroxetine decreased and my diothepien increased to help me sleep.
I was really tearful and tired all the time so I went back to my GP, who has also been excellent. My GP ended up increasing my Paroxetine again, so I am on more medication than what I was.

I am starting to pick up again, but my friend is getting married soon, and has asked me to go to the all day thing, but I am dreading it. I no longer drink when I am out so I can have my car there so I can leave immediately, but thinking about it is making me feel really ill.
I have got a big meeting on Thursday and I am dreading it as well. I have been using the Rescue Remedy stuff, and I was given Valium last year, But I have to drive to get there so I can't take them.

Has anyone got any advice?

P.S. Really sorry about the length of this one!

Meg
28-06-05, 18:15
Hi Louise,

Welcome.

You know what you're up against and in good spirits to tackle it .

Glad your meds are working now and I'm sure you will enjoy the wedding.

Glad your counsellor is good.
You can take a valium once you arrive on Thursday and sit in the car park till it kicks in if you need to.

First Steps to overcoming Panic and Anxiety (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=942)

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

seh1980
28-06-05, 21:20
hi Looby,

You seem to have come so far so there's no reason that you won't be able to cope on Thursday. Take things along to distract you and I'm sure you'll be fine..

Sarah :D

"Life is too important to take seriously" Corky Siegal

looby
29-06-05, 19:41
Thank you all so much.
I will try and remain positive, but it will be a bit difficult. I know that I look for things going wrong so I'm not dissapointed which means most events that are planned I dread. But hey ho, I know I can do it!

Fingers crossed anyway!
thank you all, take care of yourselves
xxxxx

EmmaJane
29-06-05, 19:48
Hi Louise, I know what your saying, but you have done so well so far. Good luck for Thursday, and take care

Feel free to PM me, if you want to talk.

Emma xx

Keep focused, keep positive.

Donna
29-06-05, 20:17
Louise,

I just wanted to say good luck for Thursday..

Im sure you will be fine..

Take care :D

pips
30-06-05, 12:12
Loiuse.

Sorry you have been through a rough time im so glad things are looking up for you now.

Take deep breaths hun and think POSITVE good luck for today.

Take care,

Love PIP'S X X

looby
01-07-05, 13:47
YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I did it!!!!!!!!!
I managed to get through it yesterday!
I am so proud of myself, and I want to say a huge THANK YOU ALL VERY MUCH for the support and advice.

It means the world to me.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

:D:D:D:D

pips
01-07-05, 16:37
WELL DONE hun I'm so pleased for you yipeeeeeeee!

Take care,

Love PIP'S X X

denise84
02-07-05, 08:34
hi and welcome, i know you will find this site useful, i know i do.x.

dmcgovern

Meg
02-07-05, 20:15
Looby - good news .

Well done - guess you mean Thursday and the wedding ?

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...