PDA

View Full Version : Cant face talking to people I know!

xxHonetBeexx
21-12-08, 00:47
Hi I have been on for a while, alot has happend in the last year.

For me some thing have got better te argaphobia isnt as bad as it was, I can handle going ou with my husband/child.
But the social side of thing have got so much worse I really cant face talking to ppl I know. I will avoid at all cost

Its driving me mad, im sad and lonely because of this, i see regularly a pycolgist but am too scared to tell how I feel incase they do think I have lost the plot. I feel all my socal skill have disapeared, I clam up and cant talk go red and feel like poo!

It late now and I need my bed, hoping to be on over the nest few days and chat to any whos been through the same! :wacko:

Nechtan
21-12-08, 01:29
I understand how you feel but unfortunately cannot offer any advice. I am real trouble interacting with people. I hate when people visit- even my own parents. I get the feeling of being trapped. When people come to see my wife I am fine but if they are coming to see me then I get so apprehensive that I am on the verge of a panic attack when they arrive and it gets worse when they are present.

It has wiped out my appetite to hear what people have to say as I have no interest and I just want them gone. I wish it were different but no matter how many times people visit it never does get better.

All the best

Nechtan

Anna C
21-12-08, 20:32
Hi,

I can relate to how you are feeling, I am completely terrified in any social situation.
Although if you feel you can I would recommend being as honest as you can with your counsellor. Your counsellor won't think you have lost the plot, he/she is there to help.
I have had 5 sessions of CBT and I am starting to trust my counsellor and feel that I can talk to her, although opening up to someone is really hard.

Good luck and Take care Anna x

Lou17
03-01-09, 05:08
I find it strange that Im not as anxious when talking to a complete stranger, yet when It comes to people I know I juat cant handle it at all and just need to walk away.

purplehaze
03-01-09, 09:29
I think speaking to your counsellor will help but I agree that its difficult because we do worry what they will think of us but you can be sure they have heard it all before.

For most of us its "oh no what am I going to be able to say or speak about" If we are not working it seems to be more of an issue because we feel less of a person but the reality is, we are just (and I dont use the word just lightly) going through emotional issues.

I did have that fear of speaking to people but one way is to read a lot keep informed about recent avents and even have a hobbie. Remember 1 in 4 people suffer from emotional issues so it may well be that they are also feeling the same way but put a brave face on it

Sunny
12-01-09, 07:06
Perhaps, you might be able to arrange to have a meeting with your physcologist online, simular to what we do here, if you find it easier to talk online. Would it be easier then, because you could go at your own pace instead of feeling like you need to respond to what they see right then?

catswhiskers
08-09-09, 13:58
Yes! I understand exactly, thought it was just me because I'm ok with strangers or people on first meeting is'nt too bad but if I see them more than that I try to avoide them. Why is that???

Maddy
08-09-09, 17:37
Maybe it's because we have a history with family members and therefore it can seem more difficult to put on an act as we might be able to do with a stranger. Also, when someone visits you in your own home then you feel trapped because you can't escape them so easily, you kind of have to wait until they are ready to go. Personally, I also feel more transparent in front of family members, as if they can see through my mask when I am in a state where I need to wear one. I agree you should tell all to your psychologist as they wont be able to help you effectively without a true picture.

Mad Medic
08-09-09, 20:28
I agree with Maddy. The stranger in the street doesn't know you or how you "normally" are. People you know, have an expectation of how we should be (in our minds) and failure of living up to that is what I think leads to the anxiety.

PanicOver!!
08-09-09, 20:51
Hi

I know how you feel i have told my counciler and it has helped talking about it try and share your feelings

Marc

Mr Parfect
08-09-09, 21:51
Hey there!

Im no good at talking to people I know either, especially if I bump into them out of work/on the street, etc.

This is mainly because you know something about them, and they know something about you, which makes it more awkward to blank them unlike strangers whom you dont have to worry about.

I still avoid certain individuals to this day.

sMINT
12-09-09, 12:14
I find it strange that Im not as anxious when talking to a complete stranger, yet when It comes to people I know I juat cant handle it at all and just need to walk away.

Im the same,

I hate talking to family and going to family do's yet I can go to a party where I only know 1 person and the rest are all strangers fine.

I try to avoid all my friends lately but yet again can talk to strangers fine and much prefer to do so.

I think its to do with the small talk crap which I hate 'oh hi, how are you, hows the job blah blah blah'

Janvi
16-09-09, 11:31
Hi there,

Even i cant face talking to people i know and my mouth twitches terribly. Ive this problem with my sister in law and brother in law who lives next to my house. Im very afraid, i searched on google and i found out all sorts of issues pertaining to mouth twitch etc. I think only God can help me overcome this as im fed up.....