PDA

View Full Version : Help Needed Quite distressed

ipanicbadly
22-12-08, 08:58
I am needing some comfort as I recently had problems with violent thoughts but after being quite poorly over the weekend with a severe water infection and low blood pressure. I had a really horrible thought last night that I would set fire to my brothers house and it was almost like I wanted to do it. Please can anyone offer me some words of comfort. I do not have OCD but do have anxiety I am on Citalopram 20mg

LeeBee
22-12-08, 09:13
Hi panic, sorry you're having a bad time. I know you don't have OCD but it sounds like you are having OCD-type thoughts. OCD-type thoughts tend to focus on things that you find most distressing or upsetting - often this is the idea of harming the people that you care about.

If you found the thoughts attractive or reasonable then that would be worrisome. The fact that you find them frightening and distressing means that you won't act on them. They are just thoughts - they can't make you do something that you don't fundamentally want to do. My advice would be to let the thoughts come as fighting them might give them more power to frighten you. They are not worth your fear and energy. Distraction techniques might help.

Maybe have a look at the OCD forum for more advice. Good luck, hope you feel better soon :hugs:.