PDA

View Full Version : panic attacks on the Tube/train?

stellabella
22-12-08, 14:09
hi everyone,

just wondering if anyone suffers with their panic on the tube/train like i do....i have to take the tube for an hour in the morning and evening, and when it's busy i get very very anxious....especially if it stops in a tunnel and doesn't move, my mind goes into overdrive :scared15: i find it's ok if i can get a seat because i worry that if i'm standing up and i get a panic attack then i will just pass out in front of a packed carriage...very very horrible...i hate rush hour!

Wenjoy
22-12-08, 15:41
Yep I struggle on buses even 10 minutes on a bus - the thing is to try and look out of the window, listen to your mp3 or ipod and do a shopping list on paper or in your head to distract yourself.Wenjoy x

xMckenzie16x
23-12-08, 11:44
heya ,, im exactly the same , i had 2 go on a train on me own for a hr n a half , within 10 minz mi hands wer sweatin i was shakin , getin reli fidgety n jst wntd 2 cry , then we went thru a tunnel n tha window was open (i was sat by wer tha toilets n doors r) n a big gush ov air came thru n i swallowd it , i panickd so mch buh managed 2 control it , i wil neva go on a train on mi own agen nw , buh even wid people it doesnt do mch help, n im tha sme on buses it onli takes 10 minz 2 get in2 town , buh i constantly fink , im gna av a panic attak , people r guna stare at me , buh i was fine , i fink it jst reli bad anxiety , im nt sure but hope it gets better 4 u soon :) ,,x

minihaha
23-12-08, 23:50
i also feel very anxious on train journeys , had a few bad experiences in the past when travelling on trains that have become very very overcrowded. Ironically i am ok if its a longer journey as after about an hour or so i feel myself relaxing and allow myself to enjoy the trip. I find that if possible i avoid going on the train on friday or sunday afternoons as these seem to be the busiest times and you struggle to get a seat. If i can get on a relatively quiet train on a pre booked seat and have my ipod, a book , a bottle of water and a packet of mints with me then i cope ok.

Anyone i know who has anxiety or panic disorders struggles with public transport so i guess its very common and we shouldnt beat ourselves up about it.

HeatherMc
24-12-08, 17:48
Hiya

I am not good with trains fortunately my underground system in Liverpool only consists of two stations that I use but that is bad enough funny I was stuck in a tunnel on Monday with my sister and daughter and my sister is also nervous of them and she said gawd imagine how them poor blighters in London must feel if I am bad with this!

I just find the underground very unpleasant especially rush hours - busy times.

Heather

ladybird64
24-12-08, 23:10
I have seen lots of posts about fear of tubes/trains but my fear is a bit different and I'm wondering if I'm the only one that has it! (Please say I'm not..:unsure: )

I hate train stations, big or small but mostly those with the open type platforms. I am fine once I actually GET on the train but if you could see the performance I go through beforehand..:blush:
I won't wait on the platform, I usually lurk at the top of the stairs and when the train comes in, I leg it downstairs and get on. I haven't been on a train for over a year and that was while I was doing my exposure therapy, I haven't been able to face it since. I haven't been on a tube for over 20 years for the same reason, just the thought of entering a tube station scares me witless :scared15:
So, looking at this logically, I have a fear of the platforms at train and tube stations. I would really like to know if anyone else has this as I'm starting to get a bit paranoid!
Oh, and suggestions on how to conquer the fear would be welcome.

Ta :)

J_K_0
28-12-08, 19:57
I have panicked on trains and in cars. The thing is, I used to travel by train to college every day with no worries but I had one or two dodgey turns this year when I wouldn't go on a certain train but I was able to travel on another?!! I'm kinda over the train thing now. I think it only happened because I hadn't been eating right the day off that journey + beforehand.

I still feel panicky in cars at times (last attack was in the summer) but I'm improving on that cycle too. I was learning to drive when I was 17/18 and absolutely loved it but sadly didnt have enough money to continue lessons cus of Uni. Passing my test next Summer after Uni is finished is one of my biggest goals of next year! I got my theory test booked for 20th Jan :)

It's not being on the trains that bother me... its more escalators in London that bother me!! I dont like heights.

dorabella
29-12-08, 22:44
I've had a few unsettling experiences on the underground over the years, mostly lightheadedness, feeling breathless and wanting to get out and not being able to. When the train stops in the tunnel I do start to feel panicky if it lasts foir more than 10 minutes. I won't get on unless I can sit down - at least one can then panic in relative comfort - can't stand being crowded and squashed. I tend to get on, sit down, and read until my destination. If I can concentrate on the book I usually arrive in one piece.

As for travelling on overground trains, I'm afraid I have stopped this altogether. Apart from the extortionate rail prices (which usually don't guarantee a seat) I find being stuck in one place and usually next to some annoying person really makes me anxious. Also one can't always get off the train if it gets too much to bear. I have gone back to my car. Funnily enough I can cope with driving since it gives me something to focus on and stops me (for the most part) from having anxious thoughts (I have bouts of agoraphobia when travelling far from home) Also with the car, I can set off when I want, take my time, stop when I want and not have to be tied to to ticket and timetable restrictions which also makes me anxious.

I think there are a lot of people out there, not all of them suffering from anxiety, who find public transport a daily trial.

Bill
30-12-08, 03:54
Probably the easier part to explain maybe why a fear of panic attacks is so common on trains and buses. In fact, whenever we feel in a tight space such as in shops as well may cause panics.

Enclosed spaces cause us to feel trapped so we feel we have no means of escape. However, the reason why we fill trapped is often not so obvious because it could be because we feel too stressed in our job or perhaps because of events in our past which have caused a more deep seated emotional stress. It could also be because we simply had a bad day which caused an original panic attack which has left us with a fear of them re-occurring in confined spaces. Whichever the cause, I think you'll find panic attacks will be caused by an underlying stress of some kind.

In my case, I suffered too much stress at home and in my job which combined caused my panic attacks. I even ended up in hospital once and the nurse wondered what I was doing there! Well, I wasn't to know what it was! Anway, once I found ways to alleviate the stresses in my life, the panics became easier to cope with but that was what was needed in my case. I feel every case is different and often needs a different approach.

Such as with Ladybird!:hugs: This is pure speculation but I wonder if your fear is actually a fear of falling on the rails?:shrug: I think though that from what I remember, you do have alot of daily stress in your life and I "think" you may also have a fear of open spaces. If my memory is correct, this could be because open spaces make you feel vulnerable so a platform could also be regarded as an open space.:shrug: I think you may have a feeling of needing the "opposite" to the others in that you need an enclosed area to feel "safe" because you have a general insecurity. I'm only guessing though! But I could be completely on the wrong "track"! (sorry!:D )

I think in your case Ladybird, you may need exposure therapy by forcing yourself into these situations where you feel vulnerable and sit the anxiety out to prove to yourself there is nothing to fear.

This is why I say that panic attacks occur for different reasons so often they need a different approach depending on the underlying causes. That's only my personal view though.:hugs:

Dave777
30-12-08, 08:54
Hi S., I have exactly the same problem.
I can't get on an aircraft these days, it's a fear of confinement and that I have no control of the situation I am in.

I managed to get to Spain this year but had some very difficult times, the long train journey had similar effects. I wanted to open a window, but no windows on Eurostar to open. The Panic is overwhelming.

Weird, but I've had no problems on the Underground, it makes no sense but I do what I can these days.

take care .... don't give up:)
Dave x

Eva May
30-12-08, 13:24
I haven't been on a bus, a train or even a taxi in years. I simply can't face the terror that it brings

Wenjoy
30-12-08, 15:58
I went on a bus into town a few times last few weeks but force myself to shop,travel and eat out - fear of confinement is so true what bill says - fear that you cant get out and what if people look at you!! I get hot and panic breathe! Wenjoy x