PDA

View Full Version : Worried about prescribed medication side effects

katamaridamacy
22-12-08, 20:46
Hi All,

I suffer from anxiety and acid reflux, and have been prescribed Protium (Protonix in the US) to help. I know it will do me good, but am frightened to take it because of one of the severe reactions / side effects, which is difficulty breathing.

I've taken two tablets so far (dose is one per day), and both times have triggered a panic attack and hyperventilation because I fear I am having 'difficulty breathing' and that my throat is swelling up.

The last attack was an hour ago, and my breathing is now settled and I'm not gasping for breath or anything.

I know the likelihood of suffering serious side effects are remarkably slim, but how can I keep calm? Would 'difficulty breathing' be really, really struggling for breath?

Does anyone else suffer from this?

Boos Mum
22-12-08, 21:14
they most likely mean allergic reaction

i'm like this too hun, sucks

katamaridamacy
22-12-08, 21:22
Yeah, allergic reaction's what I mean. =)

I'm going to work from home tomorrow (where I feel 'safer') and take one more tablet. I figure that facing the problem head on's probably the best way. If I can manage it a few days without keeling over, then it can't be doing me much harm.

Have you managed to deal with this, Boos Mum?

ladybird64
22-12-08, 21:33
I hope you don't mind me answering. :)

I'm lucky in that I don't suffer from HA but do have acid reflux and am one of those people that has a lot of allergic reactions to things! (I'm asthmatic as well).
I can assure you that if you had an allergic reaction to the medication it wouldn't go away by itself, I think you have actually realised what is causing your breathing difficulty..it's that vicious circle of hyperventilating which makes you feel like your throat is swelling.
It is terrifying, I know that (panic attacks, whatever the cause, always are) but you now know that it will pass by itself. Your breathing will slow down and you will calm down, just try and prepare yourself a little beforehand.
Maybe tomorrow when you take it (because you can be sure that you're not allergic to it) you can reassure yourself that it won't do you any harm and any nasty effects you feel are caused by your anxiety trying to trick you. :)

Boos Mum
22-12-08, 21:50
Have you managed to deal with this, Boos Mum?

2 things

1. I avoid drugs like the plauge

2. I take something new while at hospital, I'm there for either me or the kids alot, I figure if I have a reaction I'm in the right spot

I also live 1 mile from the A&E now, which is useful as I was pretty sick while prego

katamaridamacy
22-12-08, 22:58
I hope you don't mind me answering. :)

I'm lucky in that I don't suffer from HA but do have acid reflux and am one of those people that has a lot of allergic reactions to things! (I'm asthmatic as well).
I can assure you that if you had an allergic reaction to the medication it wouldn't go away by itself, I think you have actually realised what is causing your breathing difficulty..it's that vicious circle of hyperventilating which makes you feel like your throat is swelling.
It is terrifying, I know that (panic attacks, whatever the cause, always are) but you now know that it will pass by itself. Your breathing will slow down and you will calm down, just try and prepare yourself a little beforehand.
Maybe tomorrow when you take it (because you can be sure that you're not allergic to it) you can reassure yourself that it won't do you any harm and any nasty effects you feel are caused by your anxiety trying to trick you. :)

Thanks for your kind words. :)

I'll let you know how I get on!

Magik
22-12-08, 23:17
I know exactly how this is, and it makes my doctor soooo upset with me. he prescribed my Zoloft, which any type of anti-depressants are scary as heck, cause they have TONS of side effects and things that might possibly happen. But like my husband always tells me, if you've ever looked at an aspirin bottle warning, that's actually way scarier AND if you haven't had a reaction to aspirin...the odds are in your favor you'll be fine. BUt yet, I still haven't taken my meds and my doc appointment is in two days. I've had this bottle of Zoloft for a month. And the citropram I never took before that, and the Burispone I had before that. That's how afraid I am. Anxiety does play alot of mind games. Everytime I think of taking it, I have trouble with the breathing too..even with a Xanax to try to keep me from panicking...so...bah. I'm gonna have to take it tonight or...tomorrow. And I'm dreading it. But to get better, sometimes, we have to take risks. And they aren't really as Risky as we believe them to be, but our minds I think, in a way, will do anything to keep us from getting better in that reguards. Sounds odd I know...but surely, if you know it's going to help, why do we try to talk ourselves out of it? x.x

I do plan on getting strength somehow, even if I have to get my husband to like...hide it in my food or something xD

BNCfan
23-12-08, 03:40
In very rare cases, as with all drugs, there can be severe allergic reactions almost immediately after taking the medication. But they would be much more serious than you have experienced and if you have already taken two of them you will be OK. I think the reactions you are having are related to your anxiety about taking the drug - hyper-ventilating etc. I know how it feels, I'm the same myself with new medication. I also suffer with acid reflux and have found similar drugs very helpful. Continue taking them, you will feel a lot better. IF YOU WERE ALLERGIC YOU WOULD KNOW BY NOW I PROMISE YOU.

I hope you feel better soon. Good luck.

Helen

katamaridamacy
23-12-08, 10:26
Thank you all for your replies - very reassuring, believe me! :)

I took another tablet about 30 mins ago, and am okay so far...