PDA

View Full Version : Norovirus, Flu and Emetophobia

Ellie25
24-12-08, 16:47
I apologise for posting a negative post at christmas but i feel sooo low. My emetophobia is severe as people on here will know already. Norovirus is everywhere and so is the flu now..... which can make u feel and be s***. I'm scared witless by both or by anything that might make me ****.

I've just finished work now until Sunday and am struggling. It's a hard christmas anyway as it's the first without dad but things are made so much worse because of the noro and flu.

Does anyone know of people who are s*** with the flu?

I feel really desperate.

Sorry for being pathetic:weep:

Ellie
xx

belle
24-12-08, 18:22
I've had the flu a couple of times and i have never been sick. I have gagged because of phlegm from a chest infection and it getting stuck in my throat (sorry, too much information). The younger generation can be sick from the fever - but generally, no vomiting with the flu.

SharonDerby
27-12-08, 00:17
Hi Ellie
i feel for you as you know i am as bad as yourself, it's been dreadful for me the last few days, i'm off now till monday, christmas eve was awful, three people came to work and went home with sickness, or so they claimed, either way i was convinced i'd be next, so i do sympathise with you hun and hope you have managed ok.
As for flu, can't say i'd be thrilled at getting it but i am dam certain i'd rather that than noro any day, i have had proper flu twice and neither time was i sick, or did i even feel sick, i don't know anyone sick with the flu, like Belle said younger generation maybe from the feaver but not adults, it doesn't cause sickness so try to worry less about that one.
Anyway i'm still in a state not sure how long this dam virus will carry on and everyone in the news going on about it, if it doesn't peak till feb then i have one hell of a 2 month panic attack to face cause this has bought back 20 years of hell ten fold, never have i been this bad since i first started suffering it has really knocked me back, so much so that i don't want to go outside as it is frightening me, i know if i let it get to that stage then i'm back to square one with emit and agorophobia and panic attacks.

Sharon xxx

lovemypets
27-12-08, 00:29
I have the same phobia. I'm afraid to go too far away from home, just in case I get a stomach virus. I don't want to be without access to a bathroom, and am terrified that if I am far away and get sick, then I have to travel back home with the s***s or vomiting! Crazy, huh?:huh: Janet

maxskiboy
12-01-09, 20:13
I've had the flu a couple of times and i have never been sick. I have gagged because of phlegm from a chest infection and it getting stuck in my throat (sorry, too much information). The younger generation can be sick from the fever - but generally, no vomiting with the flu.

hi, i suffer ver, very badly from emet. and i am the younger generation which goes into loads more problems with school and stuff. and honestly i have never ever been **** with the flu.

godfrdr
12-01-09, 22:12
I totally sympathise. I've suffered with this phobia for going on 17 years, and it's gotten worse with time. I tried hypno but had to give it up because I couldn't afford it. Saw a cognitive therapist - didn't work. So am back on SSRIs and they stop me from having panic attacks, which I guess is something. I try to stop it ruining my life, and most of the time I succeed. Good hygiene, careful eating and staying in a lot are my current tactics.

Had flu before Christmas, wasn't s*** once. Had a tummy bug a week ago - wasn't s*** once. It all depends on how strong your tummy is, and how strong your mind is. I have an interesting story if anyone wants to chat. I could go on about this for ages.

HighwayMiles
12-01-09, 22:34
I am the same way with all of it. I've gotten to the point where I wipe food containers with antibacterial wipes after I bring them home from the grocery store because I picture the cashier handling people's keys and credit cards and then handling all my food.... ugh. And it doesn't make me feel better because antibacterial wipes don't kill the viruses that frighten me. So what do I do? I endlessly research what might actually kill Norovirus (and others) and spend a fortune ordering those products online. This time of year is awful for me.

Then on Friday I developed what I suspected was a skin infection (from this tiny insignificant scratch) and I panicked. Not because of the infection (because I don't fear that kind of thing, oddly) but because I knew I'd have to go to a clinic for antibiotics. But I did it. First thing Saturday morning. I brought my own pens, wipes, gloves and I didn't sit down, but I did it. Maybe that's supposed to feel like a victory but I was petrified and now, of course, I'm waiting to come down with something.

It's crazy because it turns out I did have a serious infection and might have died without medication, but I don't care about that at all. All I care about is stomach bugs. I'd rather lose two toes than get a stomach bug, which is NUTS!

I just want to get better. I think. I mean, I'd still want to be cautious, but I would like to not care as much. I'd like to spend my time thinking about other things. I used to be a fairly interesting person. Fearless, actually. It's just so unfair.

If anybody ever wants to talk about emetophobia and that sort of thing, please pm me. It's so isolating.

~Laura

Rhiannon_julia
12-01-09, 23:06
hey guys,

I suffer with exactly the same phobia and anxieties relating to it, its completely crippeling and i sympathise with you all, Its totally irrational in that id rather many other horrible thingshappen to me as long as Im not s**k. I control everything I cant to try and avoid it and like you all am scared s***less bout this sickness bug going around. I just want to stop letting it control me but I cant let it go, Im so depressed as a result and cant enjoy anything anymore as im constantly worried. I just want to find a way out :-(.

Rhiannon
xx

HighwayMiles
12-01-09, 23:26
Does anybody else think about this stuff when you're watching TV or a movie? I'll think.... that guy went right inside the house after riding the bus and ate an apple without washing his hands!!!

And then I feel ridiculous thinking about that because it's just a movie, but then I think about the actor and wonder if the actor got sick after filming the scene....

It just never ends! I lived 34 years without thinking about these things and I was fine. I ate french fries in the car. I would NEVER do that now. I ate sandwiches on airplanes. I was normal! And I was fine! But it's much worse now, right? That's what the scientists say. It's gotten worse. Why can't they just make a good vaccine!? For the bugs OR ME!?

HighwayMiles
13-01-09, 00:28
By the way, I found this stuff online... www.PureGreen24.com
It claims to kill MRSA, Staph AND Norovirus! I really hope it works because I'm spraying it everywhere. And it has almost no smell, just a hint of citrus. I think it uses silver. Anyway, no, I don't work for them, but I have to share because I know I'm not alone in trying to find products that kill Norovirus, other than just bleach.

SharonDerby
14-01-09, 10:34
Hi all
i'm with everyone here, exactly the same worries etc this time of year is sooo bad for all of us i wish i had some magic answers but i don't.
I have bought myself some domestos spray bleach as it says it kills virus inc noro, it has now become my best friend.
I have been thinking a lot since this whole outbreak started as i'm sure most of you and many mnay more have and have realised this is robbing me of my life, i'm no longer a happy person i'm just someone who gets by each day but with a fear inside me that won't go away, i am certain i was a much happier person with a very funny happy personality years ago, now i feel like i have nothinhg to offer in the way of personality i seam to have lost any vibrance i had, i dont suffer with depression thank god because i have read some very sad stories of how low people feel and wouldn't like to ever feel that bad, but this phobia has left me living my life with no fun just fear.

tryingtocope
16-01-09, 09:35
Im exactly the same, when i saw on my aol news the other week about a norovirus epidemic i felt ill immeadialty! A few people at my work have had it, each time someone else gets it i panic. Ive been feeling sick although im sure its just im my head, but if i feel sick (even for 5 minutes) i wont eat for a day or 2 just to make sure, if i dont eat anything, theres nothing to come back out. :wacko: