PDA

View Full Version : Cant Get Help from NHS

thirtysomething
29-06-05, 20:02
A few weeks ago I went to my GP to see if I could see a consultant about my anxiety and depression. I've had problems as long as I remember. I had Cognitive Behaviourial Therapy on NHS about 10 years ago but that was stopped after 18 months. Then I tried Transactional Analysis privately. Neither worked for me.

I've had a letter back today saying the consultant reviewed my notes and they can't do anything and gave me the number of a local counselling service.

I don't see how more counselling can work for me. I wanted a proper diagnosis. There must be something more than ordinary depression and anxiety going on for me because I've had real problems making friends as long as I remember.

Do you think I should get a second opinion?

Thirtysomething

kairen
29-06-05, 20:06
Hi thirty

sorry you didnt get very far with docs, maybe its worth trying the counselling, its a start, and maybe if the counsellor thinks you need more help they would be able to take it from there, any help is better than no help,

hope it works out for you

take care

kairen x

Donna
29-06-05, 20:07
Hello,

If the consultant was to say he could see you, What would you like him to do to help you? Other than give you a diagnosis - Im just wondering if the consultant would just suggest counselling anyway, even if he did give you a diagnosis of some sort, and maybe meds. Thats another route - meds - maybe a certain med could help.

I think if you feel uncomfortable with what the consultant has said, then you do whatever it is that will make you feel more comfortable - so if a second opinion might help settle your mind, then i cant see how it would do any harm. its totally up to you sweetie.

im sorry that counselling, CBT etc hasnt seemed to help you. At least you are trying and are still fighting.

Stay strong
Donna

seh1980
29-06-05, 20:47
hi Thirty,

Could it be that you have social anxiety? Remember that anxiety and depression can often cause many more problems and issues than we often realise. What's the harm in trying another counsellor?

Sarah :D

"Life is too important to take seriously" Corky Siegal

nomorepanic
29-06-05, 21:45
Thirty

I had some counselling at the doctor's surgery before I got CBT and it helped me no end.

You could try it - you may be pleasantly surprised.

Nicola

"Nearly all happiness comes into our lives through doors we don't even remember leaving open"

pips
30-06-05, 12:38
Hi Thirty,

Councelling might work for you I would try it. I try anything me if i think it will help!

If you feel like you want to chat any time feel free to PM me hun. i know how hard it can be to make friends.

Take care,

Love PIP'S X X

wobily_lin
19-01-07, 07:00
ELO

give it a try...like Nic i had councilln at me gp surgery too..n now get cbt.....it may help.....n at least ye can den say ye tried it init..hope all goes well.

Take care,
Lin xxx

"Fear is dat lil darkroom, wer negatives r developed", so positive thoughts okies!!!!!

happyone
19-01-07, 11:29
You say you had CBT a few years ago? It might be worth trying again. I have had counselling 3 times but I find it benficial just to talk isssues through.
Happyone
x

"Today is the day before tomorrow. Tomorrow is another day." wisdom of my daughter!