PDA

View Full Version : Driving on the motorway

peter34uk
27-12-08, 21:11
Had a panic attack whilst driving on the A12.

I am normally very anxious about driving on the motorway but I thought the more I did it the better I would get, & sometimes I would feel just fine.

Now Im scared to death of going back on the motorway.

I suppose the way I built it up it had to happen, but how do I deal with this.

Its like I get dizzy and I wobble. My heart starts jumping out & all I wanna do is pull over, which I cant do!!

I drop down to about 40mph (which im not sure im allowed to do or is safe tbh) & pull off to calm down.

Any ideas?

Anyone else have this?

never2late
27-12-08, 22:19
I have had several panic attacks on the highways here in the US and I agree that its difficult to keep it together (but we manage to, don't we?). It doesn't help being in a car moving at highway speeds.

I knew something was amiss when I had a duplicate panic attack . . . at the very same mileage marker . . . several weeks apart in time. As I was coming up on the area, I began to think of the panic attack that I had had previously. As soon as I got to the same place, I had another. Just goes to show that we really can bring them on ourselves at times.

I feel much better now that I have a mobile phone, and have both emergency and my family doctors numbers programed and ready to go at the push of a button. Just knowing that I have several resources available in case of emergency takes a lot of the pressure off. I have found myself with my finger on the call button, but never pressing it to actually call. Once again, just goes to show that we can get through these episodes safely, if we allow the time for them to pass.

Hope it helps.

BasilCat
28-12-08, 11:48
Hi Peter, I too have had panic/anxiety attacks whilst on the Motorway and even driving locally. When it happened on the motorway I felt like my stearing was going and as I was in the lane next to the hardshoulder, I pulled onto it. Better that than having an accident or causing a major pile up. Then 2.5 years ago I had them locally and for almost a year I couldnt even get in a car. Then I pushed myself to drive locally again - did that for about a year before driving outside the town 10 miles or so. Then only 2 weeks ago I took my daughter on a 60 mile round trip, the furthest I have driven since the attacks in the car 2.5 years ago. The furthest I have driven without hubby in the car too, to take over if need be. I have driven on a motorway for about 25 miles - done it twice now. With hubby sat next to me though. I just took it carefully and kept to the left hand lane so I could go to the hard shoulder if need be but I didnt have to. I have still not got my confidence back 100% but am doing a lot better. I say just keep by the hard shoulder and take it steady. I know how you feel though.

Take Care
Shirley

peter34uk
28-12-08, 18:12
Hi Shirly,

Thanks for your advice. DO you worry about driving on the Motor way before hand or is it a constant struggle.

I am worried now that when I go back on it will happen again & I DONT want to be in an accident!!

BasilCat
28-12-08, 18:48
Hi Peter, How do I describe it? The anxiety/panic attacks that I had in the car 2.5 years were the start of my breakdown and I have been troubled with general anxiety ever since although I am doing better these days. I have had 4 break downs in 30 years and had all the panic/anxiety symptoms known to man, during these times. In fact it all began when I was 19 years old and had agoraphobia for a year and I was so bad, I should have been in hospital but I got past it eventually and was totally recovered, then it (anxiety) came back 10 years later. Then again 7 or 8 years later and now, 15 years later! This time my main symptom has been Depersonalisation! But I know quite a lot about it and am getting less scared of it and am actually doing most things, even though I am still not 100%. Re driving, I would say its been a constant struggle. I have been a driver for 25 years with no problems at all, till 2.5 years ago. And that has been dreadful to deal with. But as I said, I did a 60 mile round trip the other week and coped well really. And I know I will be driving on a motorway again on Thursday, the M65 to Colne in Lancashire, and whilst I am not over worried about it, I am a bit apprehensive and will take it at my own pace. I know just how you are feeling Peter and like you, I dont want to be in an accident either. Yet I dont want to be unable to do these things either when I did them before without a second thought. Not easy is it Peter. I think the thing is to try and not worry though as this results in more tension and adrenalin and makes things worse. I know its easier said than done. But how about just taking a short trip for starters, ie go from one junction to the next ( if its not so far) and see how you do with that, and then try the next junction next time and so on. I am pushing through the DP when I drive. It gets less and I am not as threatened by it and tell myself its only there to protect me. I have had some days when its not noticeable, and others when its more so. But I have to keep going now I am back to doing most things, even if I dont feel totally right all the time.
Take Care
Shirley

freakedout
28-12-08, 19:36
Hi Peter

I avoid driving on the motorway now or anywhere unfamiliar. If I could return to my past and change things I guess I would have made myself go on the motorway over and over to build my confidance back up. It is easy to say, but I didn't do that, and I cannot pluck up the courage to do that now. Being in charge of your vehicle while having an anxiety or panic attack is horrendous and scary so I really do sympathise. In the past I would not pull over because I knew I would be scared to set off driving again. My heart used to be in my mouth until I was home. It easily escalates from motorways, dual carriage ways, and even busy roads around town, being stopped at traffic lights etc.. Dont give up, dont let this limit things for you. Open you window slightly, have some gum or sweets to suck, blast some 'feel good' music out of your car stereo to try to distract your thoughts from the anxiety, take someone with you if need be while you increase your confidance.

Shirley, you do well to go on the motorway now, the M65 to Colne, eek!! I was due to drive my hubby to Burnley hospital in September, via the M65. Thank God he cancelled his op, because I was freaking about that drive.

All the best of luck with it Peter

Freaky

peter34uk
28-12-08, 19:51
Thankyou guys.

I gotta pick my wife up from Suffolk on Weds and thats a long drive. A12, M25 & A2. About 2.5hrs.

I'll do my best and hope for the best. Wind the window down, talk alot & drink water.

I find when Im cool and not hot I handle things better.

Cheers guys.

minihaha
28-12-08, 23:38
i find that if i can break up my journey i cope better. This is normally for me a combination of short spells on the motorway and then taking an earlier exit than required so i can then divert to local roads - this way i am tackling my fears at a level that is manageable for me whilst not pushing myself unnecessarily and causing me to panic. I generally start my journey on the motorway and make an agreement with myself that the minute i start to feel fidgety i just remind myself that the next exit is the one i come off at. It means i tend in the main to finish my journeys feeling positive and that i have achieved something rather than focusing on the fact i had to come off the motorway early. I always carry water in the car too as if i get myself all hyped up then by sipping water it helps calm me down a bit. I also remind myself that i am a competent driver who has been driving for 19 years and that i am in control.

Best of luck xxx

BasilCat
29-12-08, 11:26
Hi Peter, I will be thinking of you on Wednesday. I know just what you mean about being cool and I would find it better with the window wound down too. I must admit to nearly always carrying a drink with me too. How about having some music playing as well.
I will be driving down the M65 on Thursday to my parents past Colne and just over the border into Yorkshire - a trip of about 55 or 60 miles. I will let you know how I get on. Take care.
Shirley

BasilCat
29-12-08, 11:30
Hi Freaky, I must add here that I have only driven on the Motorway twice in the last year. Thursday will be my third attempt. I will have hubby by my side as I drive - I am not quite ready to do it on my own yet. But I have done well to do it at all really. I take it you are in the North West going by what you are saying. I am on the North West Coast above Liverpool.

Shirley

Meewah
29-12-08, 21:41
Hi

I had a "moment" on the motorway. I was coming back home from a friends only a few miles away. I was in the slow lane with all the family in the car, I felt lightheaded and unsafe to drive. I told my wife and she told me to pull over and she took over. I have drove plenty since and only mild dizzies usually when overtaking big wagons in the fast lane and sometimes when raining hard. I think like all anxiety give it the fear factor and it will be with you for quite a while. Get out there and keep driving.

I fly aircraft also, same for that, if I have a bad landing I brush it off and get back out there or your mind will snowball the event.

Mee

BasilCat
29-12-08, 22:46
Hi Mee, I quite agree, we need to get out and keep driving dont we , other wise our minds will snowball and exaggerate the event out of all proportion. Its a bit like getting back on a bike as soon as you have fallen off, isnt it.

Shirley

Meewah
29-12-08, 22:55
Shirley

Yes, Just take a safety pilot or your partner mainly for reassurance. Play some of your favourite calming music and head out in to the big blue yonder.

Mee

eternally optimistic
29-12-08, 22:56
Hi Peter,

I can relate to the "motorway driving thing".

I used to go down the slip road, during the school holidays with the kids and they used to have have to go into auto pilot whilst I hot sweated and flushed and breathed and ........

My heart used to feel like it was coming out through my body, I can tell you.

I recently drove back from Birmingham to North Somerset without any probs.

It has taken a while for me to get to this point, but Im quite comfortable now.

Dont be freaked out by this next thing Im gonna say but, I was involved in a very serious car accident 20 years ago and didnt drive for quite a few years after that. SOOOOO, if I can do it, YOU will too.

When you do the type of driving that bothers you, do it in the style that suits you, i.e. if you have to take 4 hours to do an 1 hour drive, then do it.
Whatever, dont pressurise yourself to get it right the first time.

GOOD LUCK.

BasilCat
30-12-08, 11:18
Hi Mee, Yes thats what I do if I have to drive to my parents 60 miles away - my husband comes along too. Plus I listen to music. We have a CD, Wave Music thats relaxing, like you would hear in the back ground of a classy bar. I must be "getting there" though or I would not have been able to take my daughter on a 60 mile round trip recently without another adult for support. That didnt involve motorways though. But still, it was 60 miles. So I was quite pleased with myself.

Shirley

alias_kev
30-12-08, 14:02
It might be good to look at some techniques you can use on the move (as it were) to control/limit the stress/panic build up. One of the problems with all these conditions is that our reaction to the condition starting often makes it worse and guarantees a severe event. Official Panic Attacks being the most extreme example. I went to a stress management course that included techniques. The best if you are actually driving would seem to be the following:

a) calming or happy music - depending on your nature.
b) have plenty of time, fuel, tyres & oil checked etc - so nothing real to worry about.
c) avoid "bad rehearsal" before the journey - your anticipation will be worse than the real thing.
d) calming techniques such as "square breathing" should be possible in the car on the move if necessary. Use the vehicle in front as the square. You can google this.
e) other stress management techniques if/when you can pull off the road. eg. positive images, progressive relaxation.

BasilCat
02-01-09, 10:18
Hi there, Re driving on the motorway I thought you may like to know that I drove on a motorway yesterday - twice!!! I said I was going to do it and I did!! The last 2 times I went on the motorway were almost a year ago (February) when it was dark and that seemed different. But finally, I did it again yesterday in day light.. I went 26 miles along the M65 and on to my parents in Yorkshire, a trip of nearly 53 miles. Hubby was in the car with me and the road was very quiet but as I said to hubby, it wasnt about the volume of traffic on the road (although it was nice that it was quiet) it was about how I was feeling when I was driving, traffic or no traffic. I wasnt 100% but I did well to do it. Plus, I drove back home too, this time in the dark down the M65!! So that was me pushing myself - I did it and I was so glad. The thing is, would I attempt it on my own? Am not sure yet.

Shirley