View Full Version : Trust the doctor?

Dazo
28-12-08, 09:46
Hi everyone, i am new here to this great forum.
I have been around for a while reading and i really hope you guys can help me out with my problems.

I have bad anxiety and health anxiety. The anxiety is around all the time in different levels and i am also really tensed. I have had it like this for about 2,5 years but this summer i got two panic attacks which have made things worse and has made me more scared.

I am extremely scared of MS and ALS. I cant let the feeling go that something is wrong with me.

I have seen numbers of doctors, three different neurlogists. Have had MRI twice, two lumbal punctions, EMG and ENG. Blood samples, and CT:s too.

THe doctors tells me it is alot of stress and anxiety causing my problems and that i dont have MS or ALS.

So: my problem. Muscle ache, dizzy, stiff muscles, weakness sometimes, buzzing and tingling, tremor at times,blurred vision, derealisation at times, stomache problems.

What do you think, is this anxiety or some of the things i fear? I have had it like this for a long time.

What can i do to trust the doctor? Is it anxiety or have they missed something, i am really scared.

I hope you can help me out here, i would really appreciate it.

/ Daniel

AnnieMags
28-12-08, 12:03
Hi Daniel and welcome - you will find a lot of people with your same fears and anxieties here and hopefully some help to put your mind at rest.

With the amount of tests that you have had, I would say trust the doctors and try to accept that you do not have MS or ALS. We all worry about doctors getting our tests wrong and missing something, but there is not just one doctor involved here, but several, reading your lab results and scans. They have said you are healthy - believe them! Contrary to what we may think, doctors don't misdiagnose that often, and certainly not when the diagnosis is based on specific tests that are very, very accurate, and with the results being interpreted by more than one doctor, looking specifically for a certain illness, I would say their conclusions are 100% safe. Rest assured you are healthy and have a happy new year. Best wishes to you, Annie

lorac
28-12-08, 12:31
Hi Daniel

Welcome to the site I think you will find alot of people on here who suffer from the very same symptoms, me being one of them. All the things you have listed I have had and still do have some of them, they are all symptoms of anxiety. I think your doctor is right and you should now accept that the symptoms are anxiety related, you have had alot of tests done and the doctors would know buy now if there was anything seriously wrong.

Once you accept that it is anxiety and nothing else then you can start working on putting things right. I used worry I had a hidden illness just like you but once I accepted it was anxiety and panic that was causing my problems I was able to then start working on them and my health is now improving.

I wish you well and I am sure you will get lots of support and good advice on this site.

Take care

Carol

itoldyouiwasill
28-12-08, 13:02
Hi everyone, i am new here to this great forum.
I have been around for a while reading and i really hope you guys can help me out with my problems.

I have bad anxiety and health anxiety. The anxiety is around all the time in different levels and i am also really tensed. I have had it like this for about 2,5 years but this summer i got two panic attacks which have made things worse and has made me more scared.

I am extremely scared of MS and ALS. I cant let the feeling go that something is wrong with me.

I have seen numbers of doctors, three different neurlogists. Have had MRI twice, two lumbal punctions, EMG and ENG. Blood samples, and CT:s too.

THe doctors tells me it is alot of stress and anxiety causing my problems and that i dont have MS or ALS.

So: my problem. Muscle ache, dizzy, stiff muscles, weakness sometimes, buzzing and tingling, tremor at times,blurred vision, derealisation at times, stomache problems.

What do you think, is this anxiety or some of the things i fear? I have had it like this for a long time.

What can i do to trust the doctor? Is it anxiety or have they missed something, i am really scared.

I hope you can help me out here, i would really appreciate it.

/ Daniel

Why on earth is it important what we think? We are just randoms off the internet...do you really think we can give you the reassurance you so crave if a huge number of doctors, neurologists and medical tests have failed to do so.

All of your symptoms/sensations are totally 100% indicative of an anxiety diagnosis. It is obvious that you do not have ALS/MND as you don't have the symtoms of that. Regarding MS, yes the physical symptoms of anxiety do mimic those of MS and that is because they effect the same nervous system...the thing is MS is an organic condition and you have been told by professionals you do not have an organic condition, whilst the physical symptoms of anxiety can at times be similar to those of MS they are actually totally different in that the causality is mental rather than organic.

Basically, you have to accept the diagnosis. Have you ever considered that as illogical as it sounds the pay off for not accepting the diagnosis is actually favourable to you? The only way forward is to take a leap of faith but you can only ever take that when you really want to...maybe on some level something is holding you back.

Boos Mum
28-12-08, 13:13
spinal taps don't lie, if MS bands are not present, you don't have MS.

Have you had your thyroid tested? That springs to mind, could be low, if that is normal I'd def go with anxiety.

Dazo
28-12-08, 13:31
Thank you everyone!! I really appreciate your answears.

Sometimes i really believe i dont have any of this but at the same time the anxiety scares me alot. THe symtoms scares me and i get frustrated and stressed about not getting relief from the stress.

I have work alot and i have strated to excersice more and i hope that will give result.

The doctors i have met is not new ones either, they are very experienced and they all told me to relax and if i have had ALS for example it would show up in a really bad way after 2,5 year.

I will try to keep your words too in my mind and i will work harder to let these thoughts go away. They have ruined alot already som i need to get my life back.

Thanks all, great forum.

Happy new year to everyone!!

lorac
28-12-08, 13:46
Hi Dazo

Happy New Year to you also and we are all glad to of been of help. Hope things improve for you soon.

Carol

Dazo
28-12-08, 15:40
Hi Dazo

Happy New Year to you also and we are all glad to of been of help. Hope things improve for you soon.

Carol

Thanks Carol! You are helping alot, i hope things improve as soon as possible, but i wont stress about it.:blush:

/ Daniel