PDA

View Full Version : I'm still coughing

countrygirl
28-12-08, 22:03
2 weeks ago I got a virus that is sweeping my area - really bad cough and cold and flu symptoms. I saw the Dr after a week and she listened to my chest and said my lungs were fine and that the irritation and soreness in my lower throat and upper chest and feeling of tightness were consistent with the virus. At this time I had practically no voice and if I tried to speak I could not stop coughing - my nose had run constantly for the week and I had very painful face/sinuses.

My nose stopped running and the blocked sinuses improved greatly and my voice came back quite a lot but still could not talk for long or the coughing got worse. The awful tingling sore irritation went down to top of chest about 2 inches below bottom of throat and it feels awful - if I could put my hand down there and give a good scratch I am sure I would feel better:D but only thing I can do to relieve it for a few seconds is cough. I also feel as if its hard to breathe like I am breathing with a weight on me - but I can take a deep breath and I have a peak flow meter from long time ago that shows my peak flow is normal. My husband has had bad chest infection in past and once a touch of pneumonia and he says there is no way I have a bad infection as I am breathing far to easily and can run up the stairs okay!

I so want to run back to my Dr and get antibiotics in case this is because of an infection in my windpipe. But I also don't want to be my usual self and harass the Dr endlessly if its just viral and will clear up itself eventually.

My 85 yr old mother in law who also has this and has an awful cough isn't rushing to see the Dr but happy to see how it goes:shrug: Oh how I wish I was like her.

Just want to know if anyone else has this awful cough and if so what is it like and how long has it lasted?? It can't just be this area of Uk that it is sweeping though.

I have to say that I live in a small village and know loads of people with it but of course I panic if I am not better very quickly.

peter34uk
28-12-08, 22:17
It can last for more than a month so dont worry. Ive had it and the cough is the last to go.....particularly if your stressed about it.

Rest easy, it'll clear up!

belle
28-12-08, 22:28
THREE months my cough lasted. Don't worry too much.

Lissy43
28-12-08, 22:59
I had a cough a very long time last year.

The average length of time for a cough to linger around is about 3 weeks but I know with my children they last alot longer.

We have had the same virus, I would wait and see how you go. I had bronchitis last year and I just knew when I was ill enough to go to the GP, I felt awful and could hardly breath so your other half is right, you would just know.