PDA

View Full Version : Home blood pressure/heat rate monitoring

Musicman
28-12-08, 23:09
Dear All,

I am wondering how many of us have home blood pressure/heart rate monitoring kits? I bought the £9.99 Lloyds one. I have been getting really erratic readings. One moment everything is fine, then the next, the pulse rate and pressure is up. I know given my HA buying a monitor was not the best idea in the world, but I wondered how many people with this particular monitor receive erratic readings?

Thanks

belle
28-12-08, 23:27
I have the Lloyds one.
Mine is pretty stable.

laineylouise
28-12-08, 23:32
I wish i could get one. Would put my mind at rest.

It could be a glitch, or other electrical equipment might be messing with the frequency. That happens.

The tv in our kitchen buzzes and fuzzes when the kettles on.

Utility
28-12-08, 23:32
Hi

I don't have one of these but I do know that your blood pressure and pulse rate can vary temporarily for all sorts of reasons and does not mean it is an indication of anything wrong. Even having these readings taken can make them fluctuate. Please try and put this away, I think it will only make you worry unnecessarily.

daniela
29-12-08, 04:29
I have one and mine is pretty stable too.

tayside lassie
29-12-08, 08:43
hiya .. ive had a lloyds monitor for the last 3 years i renew mine every year
as you need to get your monitor calibrated once a year its cheaper to buy a new one .
i agree with every one else if you have anxiety it will show on your readings
just follow the instruction book and stay calm ...

never take a reading when your feeling anxious cause your sure to get a high reading..

Boos Mum
29-12-08, 11:16
what kind of numbers? your gp should have one take yours in and compare

jue67
29-12-08, 11:16
My advice is dont, never! just my opinion.
i bought a top end one, got a different reading every time, i was put on bp meds, just the one and it was still different, i worried myself sick with it. I go to the Dr to have mine done and have been told its fine at 140 over 75 and thats on meds.
if i want mine done i go to the nurse, i hate going to the Dr so bearing this in mind its probably a little lower at home without the white coat thing.
My dad(step) had a stroke so thought when my pressure was due at dr that it would be up but it was fine.
my pulse is usually fast, im a constant worrier and overweight, but on a night when im laying and take it its fine, normal as is normal.

what do you think your gonna do when your bp is high or eratic, do you go to the gp or not, so are you actually acheiving anything by doing it. jmo.

hope your okay
jools

agent orange
29-12-08, 11:31
I agrre with jue67, i would not buy one. I did buy a lloyds one and i must have taken it about a zillion times the first day i bought it and the readings were different each time. I then got rid of it pronto and i now go to the chemist and get it taken every 3-4 months.
Your anxiety levels wil most probably rise. I did a similiar thing with the weighing scales, I was on and off like a yo yo.
Tony

Musicman
29-12-08, 11:45
Thanks for your kind messages. My BP can go from 100/60 to 180/100 in the space of pressing the button again. It is my pulse rate that is worrying me the most though. Again it fluxuates wildly. One moment it can be 79 (the lowest reading I get) and the next moment it can be 130. Again just moments apart.

Musicman
29-12-08, 11:50
Following on from my last post - what is the normal pulse rate? I am convincing myself that something is wrong with my heart. I am getting pains in my chest and back (undoubtedly, muscular) and I am convinced that I have a problem. I know that it is probably just pulled muscles and spasms as I have been to the Drs with chest pains and was told my heart was fine and that is was probably muscular.

Boos Mum
29-12-08, 12:29
Thanks for your kind messages. My BP can go from 100/60 to 180/100 in the space of pressing the button again. It is my pulse rate that is worrying me the most though. Again it fluxuates wildly. One moment it can be 79 (the lowest reading I get) and the next moment it can be 130. Again just moments apart.

100/60 is perfect! I doubt the 180/100 is accurate. That would be very high, what is it at the gp's normally?

take your pulse manually and check 79 again is perfect, 130 is high but I wonder if its the machine

if you went from 79 to 130 you'd feel it, trust me

Musicman
29-12-08, 12:42
That is what I would have thought. It is the pulse rate that is worrying me the most. When I went to the GP last time and had my bp checked I was told it was fine, after being high the time before. I have checked my pulse this morning and have got a reading of 79-100, all when sat, not moving, and in quick succession.

honeybee3939
29-12-08, 12:58
Hi

I bet its because you are anxious and are getting worked up before you put the monitor on. I was exactly the same when i first got the monitor. My pulse would go from anything between 65 and 119!:ohmy: I can tell when im anxious and when im not so i know when im going to get a high reading.

I find taking it in the evening is best when im relaxed. If you are finding it hard to relax try lying on the bed and listen to some music, or try reading a magazine while you are taking your BP anything to take your mind off it thats what i usually do. I found once i got used to taking my BP at home the readings where alot lower.

:hugs:
Andrea
xxxx

honeybee3939
29-12-08, 13:11
Just another thought too.

Dont take your BP if you have just eatten/had a hot bath, drank Alcohol or had a cigarette, these will all give higher readings. (alcohol will definatley make your pulse rate higher even the next morning).
:hugs:
Andrea
xxx

jobear
29-12-08, 14:21
hey all,

i also bought one, but im on meds for bp and im only 19! my doc said it will eventually get back to normal. but ive become that frightened of knowing how high it is i tend not to use it now. last time i did the bottom num was 94.. it has been 120 at its highest. if i use it and its high im usally panicky for about 3 days after. so i think its best NOT to use it if you have HA because you will only panic and make it go higher!

Jo x