PDA

View Full Version : How do I know the Cipralex is working?

MammaT
29-12-08, 20:47
That may seem like a bit of a stupid question but i'm on day 18 now and I still get nauseous and headachy but I'm feeling more anxious at times than I did before starting the meds. I am at uni and broke up on 19th Dec for a month for Christmas so things are a bit easier in life for me at the moment.

I got an extension for an essay that was due before the hols and it was granted so I've got an essay to do for Monday (not ideal as my 3 children are off for the hols too). I am panicking about that now!

I have forgotton to take the meds on a couple of days, I'm straight on 10mg, and the only difference to how I felt was that I didn't feel sick. I've also been really sleepy since starting the tablets and I could sleep for England almost every day.

I don't feel better in myself than before the tablets. I know they can take a while to work into the system but should I continue? Will I actually notice a difference soon (apart from the side effects going I hope).

I'm due to see the dr soon but I'd welcome any advice. I know different things work for different people but is there anyone else they have not worked for?

Thanks in advance!

Mamma T :shrug:

bab
30-12-08, 00:03
hi there

i think you should stick with them as its still early days - u should start to feel a difference after 4-6 weeks so stick with it my love

MammaT
30-12-08, 00:39
Thanks Bab - I suppose it's a long haul really but I did think there'd be improvement by now! Never mind I'll keep going.

mlondon
30-12-08, 12:00
I also found that when i missed one, i had difficulty with the next one i took. This is my first time on escitalopram but I did take Citalopram last year and that took 6 weeks to work.I'd say stick with it and good luck with the essay!

NearlyThere
01-01-09, 21:00
I have been taking Escitalopram (Cipralex) for nearly four years now, however on their own, they did not work for me. I kept going back to my Doctor because I didn't feel as though they were helping and each time I would come away being told to give the tablets more of a chance. In the end I had to really push the matter at which point I was prescribed my usual dose of Escitalopram (20mg) along with Mirtazapine (15mg). Not long after I started this combination, I started to feel a difference. So...all I would say is, trust your instincts, if you don't feel/think your medication is working after a reasonable time period, then go back to your GP and ask to try something different. I know that my GP had to refer me to see someone before he was able to precribe this combination and these doses and so I just think that sometimes Doctors need a 'little extra push'.

MammaT
01-01-09, 21:05
Thanks Nearlythere your experiences with these tablets is helpful to me. I do know it's early days for me on this medication but I just know that I don't feel any different at all in myself yet. I'm seeing the doctor next week so I'll explain and see what she says. I think she'll say to keep taking them for a while and, to be fair, I need to give them a proper chance.

Unfortunately for me I've been a bit side-swiped today by the news that my uncle has died suddenly. The meds are definitly not working today!