PDA

View Full Version : Diazepam addiction

markw
29-12-08, 21:14
I am taking Citalopram but feeling more anxious. Should I be concerned about becoming dependant on Diazepam if I take it for a few days to get through the heigthened anxiety?

Jan63
29-12-08, 21:17
I wouldn't have thought so Mark, my doctor gave me diazepam and said I could take them whilst the citalopram kicks in.:shrug:

markw
29-12-08, 21:37
I wouldn't have thought so Mark, my doctor gave me diazepam and said I could take them whilst the citalopram kicks in.:shrug:

Thanks for that. What dose were you prescribed of Citalopram? Did you find that anxiety was heightened?

decca
29-12-08, 21:43
Not at all Markw but please make sure you don't take them for more than a few weeks and try to keep on a low a dose as possible preferably taking them only as and when you really need them.
I expect your Doc. wants to see you again in a couple of weeks but if he hasn't said to please make sure you do go back and let him know exactly how you are getting on with the citalopram.
I've been taking 2mg Diaz. per day for nearly 12 months and I'm addicted to it,I've managed to cut down to 1mg per day but some days it's a struggle to not take more.

Best wishes,
Decca.

sunshine-lady
29-12-08, 21:44
Diazepam is great if only used for a short period Mark. You will not get dependent on it.

markw
29-12-08, 21:51
Thank you both. I wonder about my GP. He prescribed 10mg of Citalopram which I took for two weeks and was useless, and he wouldn't prescribe Diazepam as he said it can be addictive in 5 days. I had to see another GP while away for xmas and he said that he would never prescribe 10mg but 20mg initially and put me on 30mg + Diazepam for a few days. I have found that 30mg sends my anxiety through the roof!

decca
29-12-08, 22:20
I'm not experienced in taking Citalopram but reading some posts on here it seems it's best to start on a low dose and gradually work up and that 10mg is a good starting point for most.
Trouble is - Doctor's don't like it if you see another Doctor once they've started treating you do they.

Decca.

Boos Mum
29-12-08, 22:27
I truly think the drug isn't addictive per say but since it makes yoou feel better you want to take it

Like me and chocolate ice cream, I could stop but why

decca
29-12-08, 22:32
Well put that way , I'm addicted to Magnums - lol.

Decca.

Boos Mum
29-12-08, 22:38
Well put that way , I'm addicted to Magnums - lol.

Decca.

I have a masters in psy, I remember little after 2 kids :blush:

But 2 things are big revelations

1. Most anything isn't addictive because it truly is. Try to turn the computer off for a week, you can't I bet, does the computer MAKE you turn it own??? Nope, you want to, why? you get something out of it

2. Look up psychosis and schizophrenia, we all have symptoms, but not everyone is nuts :lol

decca
29-12-08, 22:52
2 Kids ! try 3 kids and 6 grandkids - lol . but I've been blessed by good ones.

Yea that's a good one Boo's and very true.

Decca.

Boos Mum
29-12-08, 22:56
2 Kids ! try 3 kids and 6 grandkids - lol . but I've been blessed by good ones.

Yea that's a good one Boo's and very true.

Decca.

well she's up every hour still at night, so I guess to have enough brain to even type I'm lucky

Thanks though, hope I made you smile :D

decca
29-12-08, 23:00
Yes you have thank you , I needed cheering up after watching the news today.

Decca.

Boos Mum
29-12-08, 23:11
Yes you have thank you , I needed cheering up after watching the news today.

Decca.

See thats why I don't own a TV :)

decca
29-12-08, 23:19
Ah well , it's another one of my addictions,lol.
Hows that for full circle, lol.
Best wishes
Decca.

pooh
30-12-08, 00:22
Oh dear I am prescribed 5 mgs per day of diazepam..but im not addicted cause i only take them when i need to so needless to say i have a small stockpile of the stuff lol I did take this dose for almost three months though and just stopped using it with no ill effects and dropped to as and wehn required. But I guess for some people its very different.

Pooh x

Notator
30-12-08, 02:03
I saw your comment about having "a stockpile of the stuff"... I do that too. I have Oxazepam for little ones and big yelllow Diazepam for the really bad ones. My Doctor limits me to 200mg per month and I save them up.. Little stashes everywhere, my studio, my car, ALWAYS have two or three with me...

I don't take them everyday, I don't think I'm physically addicted. But psychologically one of greatest fears in the world is that one day they will stop giving me them.

*Wonder what the shelf life is!*

<Eeyore is my hero>

Phill2
30-12-08, 04:40
Been taking them daily for years with no probs
If you need em take em
Phill :shades:

decca
30-12-08, 09:46
My Doc. actually said that they had no problem with me taking them every day so long as I don't go over 6mg per day,why 6mg I don't know I should have asked - is it the level at which addiction/tolerance clicks in ?

Decca.

Boos Mum
30-12-08, 10:14
*Wonder what the shelf life is!*

I had to chuck 4 boxes this year :weep:

My Doc. actually said that they had no problem with me taking them every day so long as I don't go over 6mg per day,why 6mg I don't know I should have asked - is it the level at which addiction/tolerance clicks in ?

Decca.

6mg is still a tame dose, they give 10-20 often enough.

1mg puts me to sleep or less

decca
30-12-08, 10:34
The expiry date on mine is 2011.

Decca.

Alabasterlyn
30-12-08, 11:27
The reason GP's prescribe benzos like Diazepam with SSRI's is that for some people one of the side effects can be an increase in anxiety symptoms. As far as I know this is just a temporary thing and taking a few benzos will help with that.

I have always felt that all benzos are addictive if taken every day. I know some people will disagree with me, however there is so much evidence to suggest they are addictive these days that I don't see how we can ignore it. I have taken benzos daily since 1980. My GP is always telling me I am addicted to them so I'm assuming he knows what he is talking about.

Jan63
30-12-08, 12:54
Thanks for that. What dose were you prescribed of Citalopram? Did you find that anxiety was heightened?
I was on 10mg for 4 days and then went up to 20mg and I think I did find I was more anxious to begin with for the first couple of weeks or so. I think I may be going up to 40mg when I see the doctor again though because she says anxiety responds better to higher doses.:unsure: