PDA

View Full Version : How does Agoraphobia start

kath135
30-12-08, 02:01
Went to the shops today in the car with hubby, before we got to the end of the road I had shooting pains in my left arm and chest, I refused to go back to the house and I managed to do the shopping despite the pain. On the way home as we approached the house the pain vanished!!!! How crazy is this aniexty. I can cope with the panic attacks to an extent but that has scared me. Is this how agoraphobia starts.

I went out again later this evening just to see if it happened again. I was fine but could'nt stop thinking about it.:unsure:

Notator
30-12-08, 02:10
First, congrats on not giving in to the panic... Not sure if that's how agoraphobia starts but I'm fairly sure that with that attitude that's how you beat it!

I've also suffered some feelings of agoraphobia, not keen on crowds/strange places/getting stuck/feeling vunerable.

One of the best pieces of help I got was my doc told me that instead of putting off the shopping till it built up, go every day to get just a few things... Less to remember, use the fast checkouts, become familiar with the place, get to know people there...

Of course, it could just be that you maybe had a lot on your mind, busy time of the year and you had a panic attack that just happened to be at the same time you were on your way out!

I am very sure that not giving in to whatever it was was the best thing to do though, takes strength to go through it instead of running for cover so well done!

kath135
30-12-08, 02:36
Thank you for your reply I'm going to go shopping again tomorrow and try not to think about too much. Thank you.:)

Notator
30-12-08, 02:39
If you crack the "how not to think about it" one do please post back and let me know how it's done won't you !!!!!!

weeble40
30-12-08, 03:11
Hi and a big welcome to NMP its great to have you here, hope to see you in chat sometime,

Take care

Emma xxx

lorac
30-12-08, 12:34
Hi

Welcome to the site I think you will get so good advice and support on here.

Take care

Carol

sunshine-lady
30-12-08, 19:56
Hi Kath
:welcome: to NMP, I'm sure you will like it here as there is so much advice and support.

chat is fun too:biggrin:

kellie
30-12-08, 20:26
:welcome: to NMP its lovely to have you here.
You will get lots of support/advice/reasurance and make some great friends along the way.