PDA

View Full Version : Hi, I'm Alan

AlanL
30-12-08, 23:36
This may take a bit of writing because I have a long history of anxiety, although this is the first time I've joined a forum.

I've always been an anxious person - it's easy to spot in old photos by the worried look on my face! About 25 years ago, shortly after my daughter was born I had a severe bout of generalised anxiety. I went through a long process of learning to cope with the anxiety, developing coping strategies of the kind that are described on this site.

My GP was (and still is) brilliant and helped me enormously. I also adopted an unusual therapy I've not seen mentioned here - called the Alexander Technique. This is really meant for posture training, but it also helped me learn to feel and control my musculature and by improving my posture, this has given me numerous benefits over the years in terms of reducing stress. I learned various techniques for coping with the anxiety and symptoms and eventually it cleared up.

I thought I'd learned my lesson after that. I kept my workload to a manageable level, we had two more children and - with some minor exceptions over the year - no more serious anxiety attacks.

My wife and I have always had a good relationship and our kids are wonderful, but as they grew up, I realised that I seemed to have a lot of time on my hands. I took up a sideline which I saw as at least partly recreation, but was also really hard work (more than I realised).

Lately I've been brooding about the economic situation, imagining the worst, pretty much assuming that my wife and I will both lose our jobs (clearly it's entirely possible that one or both of us will do) and so on. At the same time, my workload has increased - partly my fault for not saying no enough, partly just circumstances. At Christmas the storm broke and I found myself in the Emergency GP clinic getting Diazepam so that I could sleep. My sleep pattern is disturbed but I can sleep some of the time with help from the pills.

I went to my GP and he put me on Citalopram. I'm still using the Diazepam to help me cope - 5mg at night, half that in the morning and again later in the day (5mg knocks me out and I've only got a limited supply of tablets). I think that's OK, but I'm not entirely sure. I can't keep this up for very long I know, but I'm told that I should be able to come off the stuff once the Citalopram kicks in in a couple of weeks' time (or sooner).

I don't seem to be able to break free of my mental focus on the condition itself and it's really nasty. I know it will clear once the Citalopram kicks in but until then I'm really struggling. Also my mood is very volatile - it swings without warning from wary and alert, to adrenaline pumping, to brooding (depressed?).

This is as coherent as I've been all day pretty much. Writing this all down has actually made me feel better for a bit. I hope I'll get a good night's sleep but I'm not certain of it. I do feel the need to sleep now however - which is good, provided I'm still sleepy after my head hits the pillow.

Veronica H
31-12-08, 09:26
:welcome: Alan. There is a brilliant book by Dr Claire Weekes called 'Self help for your nerves' published by Thorsons ISBN 978-0-7225-3155-6. This is available from the NMP Shop. I cannot recommend this enough as it really explains what is happening to us, and how we can recover. Her recordings can be downloaded free to your MP3 from the NMP Shop too. You will find comfort and support here.

Veronica

nelly74
31-12-08, 10:43
Alan,
I have complete empathy with you. I know how you feel as a fellow sufferer myself. I have a breakdown 2 years ago and thought I had conquered my anxiety, it too has returned this Xmas and I feel terrible. I was on Citalopram 2 years ago and found that they really helped (along with counselling and a holistic approach to my anxiety).
What I find worse to deal with is the constant feeling of anxiety which starts first thing in the morning. I am lucky that I am sleeping ok at the moment. If you want to talk anytime just pop me an email. Take care :)

sunshine-lady
31-12-08, 19:36
Hi Alan

:welcome: to NMP, I'm sure you will like it here as there is so much advice and support.

chat is fun too:biggrin:

belle
01-01-09, 15:11
Hi and welcome ;)

x

fifegal25
01-01-09, 18:50
hi alan am lorna am new here to joined on sunday.how are u?

Diane O'Brien
01-01-09, 20:01
Hello There Alan

:welcome: to this Site. I,m also on citalopram. I find it helps with my depression. All the best. Maybe I will speak to you on the Chat forum. Be kind to yourself and I hope the sleeping improves. Things will improve when the Citalopram kicks in. In the meantime keep in touch if writing helps u

Diane xxx

Missy69
01-01-09, 20:10
:yesyes: :yesyes: Welcome Alan and Happy New Year :yesyes: :yesyes:

Darling
01-01-09, 21:46
Hi Allan, I'm new too. I can't find away to introduce myself.
So He everyone too.

Cherbear
01-01-09, 22:41
Welcome to the site:hugs::hugs::hugs:xx

Southern_Belle
03-01-09, 16:28
Hi Alan,

Welcome to the site. You are right, it will take a couple of weeks for your meds to kick in. If I were you I would not try to figure out all of this on your own. Read the books that are suggested on here, talk to others and post questions. I sometimes think that we anxiety sufferers think too much and want answers to questions that may never come. As for me, I've had this since I was a child so I can't imagine why I have it, so I have let it go. For you it may be other questions. I would focus right now on how to relax, handle any panic and how to get some good sleep. The other stuff will come soon too. Again, welcome and you will get tons of support here.

Take care,

Laura

AlanL
03-01-09, 19:19
Sorry for not responding sooner and thanks to everyone for the helpful messages. I'm in a bad way because I'm depressed as well as anxious. The citalopram is the right treatment and I'm also on separate treatment to control the anxiety. I'm told it will get better and I'm getting the best of treatment.

weeble40
07-01-09, 09:33
Hi and a big welcome to NMP its great to have you here, hope to see you in chat sometime,

Take care

Emma xxx