PDA

View Full Version : No way out?

ChrisS
30-06-05, 18:50
Hi all

This is my first posting so I will provide a bit of background.

I have suffered from anxiety for 13 years on and off….initially this took the form of distinct panic attacks (tight throat and feeling like I was struggling to take a full breath) more recently this has become a feeling of absolute terror of having panic attacks. In my everyday life this does not really occur and I am very lucky that I can get on with ‘normal’ life….this has been to some degree assisted by taking paroxatine.

However, when I am in a situation where either in reality or by circumstance I feel trapped I get very anxious and worry that if I have an attack it would be very difficult to continue and cope with the situation….at a wedding for example, or at the dentist.

This is increased considerably when I am thinking of going abroad (this is nothing to do with flying, which perversely I quite enjoy) I am terrified of the thought of having an attack whilst away from home…..to the extent that I can’t go or have to come back early…often this does not get to a specific attack but to a racing mind…what if I have an attack, where is the hospital, will they be able / willing to help, will I be able to get home, will I have a total breakdown and reach some state where I am incapacitated or too out of it to let on a plane?

So I guess what I would like to know is your experiences of similar / the same….I feel like this is something that I am essentially going to be saddled with for good, as a last vestige of more severe anxiety that I have suffered in the past, perhaps not the most distressing of the cases that we have on the site but still disrupting and terrifying when it occurs….I have been referred to the local hospital for CBT (2 years ago!!!) and am awaiting a course of therapy….I hope that this helps as I getting somewhat desperate…any ideas…

Hope that you are all on a ‘good’ day…

CHRIS

Meg
30-06-05, 19:08
I'm confused now if this is your first post

Hi all (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4004)

Anyway it doesn't matter. Welcome.

**I feel like this is something that I am essentially going to be saddled with for good**

Absolutely not forever BUT it does take time and effort to overcome.

**what if I have an attack, where is the hospital, will they be able / willing to help, will I be able to get home, will I have a total breakdown and reach some state where I am incapacitated or too out of it to let on a plane?**

I smiled wryly as I read these thoughts especially about travelling as I have had all of those and worked through them in varying degrees of distress.

You do have an agoraphobia pattern with limitations and avoidances and you can really get over it if you want to enough.

We're willing to help if you're willing to do..

Try this for hope :
Maxine's cbt progress. (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2308)

CBT can show great progress within single figures sessions - could you stretch to a few private ones maybe to get you on the way

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

seh1980
30-06-05, 20:40
Welcome aboard Chris!! Hope we can offer you some good support here :D

"Life is too important to take seriously" Corky Siegal

kairen
01-07-05, 09:48
Hi Chris

welcome to the site,

It is possible to get through this, believing is the first step,

take care

kairen x

leo05
01-07-05, 14:16
hi chris and welcome

hope you find this site useful

leanne

feel free to pm me anytime [8D]

ChrisS
01-07-05, 16:36
[quote]I'm confused now if this is your first post

Hi all (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4004)

Anyway it doesn't matter. Welcome.

......first posting to a forum, I did post a new members message

**what if I have an attack, where is the hospital, will they be able / willing to help, will I be able to get home, will I have a total breakdown and reach some state where I am incapacitated or too out of it to let on a plane?**

I smiled wryly as I read these thoughts especially about travelling as I have had all of those and worked through them in varying degrees of distress.

You do have an agoraphobia pattern with limitations and avoidances and you can really get over it if you want to enough.

We're willing to help if you're willing to do..

......Hi Meg

Thanks for your message, and your pointing out that people are willing to help....this is obviously very comforting.....how do I go about accessing help that exists?

Thanks

CHRIS

pips
01-07-05, 16:54
Hi Chris,

A BIG warm welcome to the site,

I feel the same as you. I hate feeling trapped like i can't get out of a situation. I also get petrified of being ill or having a P/A abroad. Like you say it's so scary huh.

There is a quote I say over in my head when i'm away which helps me though and that is: "HOME HAS NO MAGICAL POWERS TO KEEP YOU SAFE - YOUR SAFE PLACE LIES WITHIN YOURSELF"

Take care,

Love PIP'S X

Meg
02-07-05, 21:02
If you can stretch to a few sessions you need a CBT therapist - www.babcp.com

If not - if you post more about what your specific issues are we'll help you recognise what self help may be good for you.

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...