PDA

View Full Version : Feeling Sick for a Few Weeks - Now infection

tt
01-07-05, 02:16
HI All,
I am worried at this time because I have been feeling awful
for the last two weeks. Two weeks ago, I started feeling awful from the top of my stomach under my breast bones to the pelvis bones, in my back. I have always been constipated and ruled that to anxiety. Last week I went to the gynacologist and he said it seemed my colon was swallen. This is still been on going - feeling sick to my stomach and constipated but going several times a day. Today the Doc checks my stomach and says it is my large intestine. I have a low fever so he is treating me for a infection of the bowel. He then adds How old are you,
I told him 37, he says it is more common with older people. Now
here is my worries - bowel cancer!
Even freaker - before going I could hear him say to me - this is not common but......and sure enough it was true. So when you think that came true what else can come true in my thinking. Us with the issues
we have and worries, it is alarming me.

Thanks for listening to me go on,
TT:)

Meg
01-07-05, 07:04
Hi TT,

Whilst many things can be put down to anxiety we can all get ill too and need to be able to distinguish a set of anxiety symptoms from a set of symptoms that mean something else. Constant pain and altered bowel habit is always somthing to get reviewed by your doctor.

Glad you're getting checked out now and meanwhile you can help the constipation by increasing your fruit/ veg / fibre and water intake .

I hope you have your tests quickly.

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

seh1980
01-07-05, 10:03
Good luck with the tests TT - hope all turns out well!! :D

"Life is too important to take seriously" Corky Siegal

kairen
01-07-05, 10:19
Good luck hope everything is ok,

take care

kairen x

tt
01-07-05, 13:17
Meg, thanks for you reply,
I haven't been scheduled for testing at all. Presently he is treating me for a bowel infection and says to come back if there is still a fever present and I have any abdominal pain. I am scared that there is something there and I should request testing. Do I wait and see next week how things go and dismiss it or go back next week and ask for further testing?

Meg
02-07-05, 22:05
I would suggest that you see how you go for a few days and give the antibiotics a chance to work, if there is no improvement then write down a time line/ diary of when you noticed things changing and how they have changed over time and take that with you.

With anxiety we do get a lot of gastrointestinal symptoms and it may be this, but if it persists it does needs investigation even if just to rule out anything else as IBS due to anxiety does not have a definative test.

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

tt
03-07-05, 15:31
Thanks Meg,