PDA

View Full Version : Panic and Wedding Cakes... :-(

orangeblossom
02-01-09, 00:38
I'm not sure if this is the correct place to post this , it is a phobia [emetaphobia - fear of being sick] and p/a as well ...

I have an appointment to sort out my wedding cake tomorrow and I am absolutely terrified. I have spent most of the day in bed worrying about it because I am scared that I am ill, or will get ill if I go out. I'm also terrified about spending time in a place in which I will be surrounded by food, and also being offered cake to try.

I know that this is supposed to be a really fun thing to do and lots of people would love to go and try cakes and choose a wedding cake, but, to be perfectly honest, I am just scared out of my wits!

My Mother is coming with me which is helpful, but she has a cold, and I am terrified that I will catch that as well!!!

I really don't know what to do to help myself not completely panic and run out of the shop screaming!!

Notator
02-01-09, 01:17
Aww... that's a toughie!!!
Panic attacks and their variants do seem to have a knack of knocking fun out of things that we should be able to enjoy don't they!

You could tell them that you have another appointment later to keep the time you are there short...

If smells affect you, have you tried the trick of putting a bit of Vicks vapour run under your nose? (all you'll smell is menthol!!!)

And if all else fails distract yourself by thinking about a photographer who suffers panic attacks and on one wedding had to use high shutter speeds to stop the shakes spoiling the photos!!! (I mention no names, ahum.)
;-)

orangeblossom
02-01-09, 10:35
Hi Notator - yikes! The photography sounds tough to me! Thank goodness you carried on though!

I'm sitting here completely panicking, its full on and not desperately enjoyable! Argh! This is despite the medication which usually works pretty well. I'm convinced I've got some sort of awful flu or something because I'm so tired - but, rationally, I'm pretty sure it has more to do with the fact that I didn't sleep all that much last night for fear!!!!

The Vicks idea is a really good one - I can't find any in the house, but I am sucking on a liquorice/aniseed sweet which I think is helping...

Damn! I really REALLY HATE this anxiety and phobia!!!!!!!!! I feel in utter despair! I want to enjoy getting my wedding cake SO much, and yet I'm genuinely and absolutely terrified and have essentially taken to my bed despite the fact that I will need to get out of it soon-ish.

The appt is at 11. At this point, I could cry :'-(

orangeblossom
02-01-09, 10:37
Btw - thank you so much for making me smile with your story about the shaking hands - :-)

ladybird64
02-01-09, 12:32
Hi Orange :)

I'm sorry you feel so stressed but I can understand why, I really hope that you managed to make it there and it wasn't as bad as you thought it would be.
Don't forget that you have been doing a lot lately and tiredness knocks the stuffing out of us!
Let us know how it went. :flowers:

Notator
02-01-09, 22:31
*wondering how it went.... ????*

orangeblossom
02-01-09, 23:53
Hi! Thanks for asking!

Well, I'm still alive(!) I sat in the car gripping the door handle all the way there (my Mother had to drive because I was in too much of a state), and the stress only increased when we got lost!! Eventually found our way to the shop and thankfully it was very open. I refused to eat any of their food because the shop didn't look very clean to me and I left after about 15mins because the lady wasn't all that friendly or helpful either!

All in all, I'm glad I went despite feeling horribly anxious and really panicking badly, but I was very disappointed with the shop!!!!

I've decided to make my own wedding cake and decorate it too(at least I know my kitchen is spotless) :-)

Notator
02-01-09, 23:57
LMAO....now WHY DIDNT YOU THINK OF THAT BEFORE !!!!!!!!!!
( why didn't I -? *kicks self*)

Thanks for the update !!!!

orangeblossom
03-01-09, 00:11
lol! My Mum did mention this to me - I think she was just a bit exasperated all in all!!

Ah well, it was a good lesson learned!!!!

Notator
03-01-09, 00:15
I'm sure there's a moral in this saga somewhere....
blowed if I can find it though!

orangeblossom
03-01-09, 00:18
HAhahaha!! You are right there!... I will mull on it over this weekend and get back to you!!