PDA

View Full Version : Airplane ride: A reason to panic but not really. I survived!

Gryphoenix
02-01-09, 20:51
This is a bit of a success story but I just wanted to share some tips I learned on my most recent plane ride this week (and yesterday). I've been having problems with panic recently with stress from school, work, and cause my grandma's in the hospital (she's doing much better now though) so having to catch a plane ride so soon after this blip was just asking for it, I thought! It took me a month of preparation last time I took a trip and I hadn't panicked for months before then so I was in a restful period. And lately I haven't been exercising because I'd been so busy with work so my heart rate was freaking me out again (my initial and most frightening fear).

But I didn't panic!

I experienced a panicky feeling right both times before I went to the airplane. I was thinking of how much my heart would be racing when I gathered up my bags and they were so heavy, what if I got claustrophobic, my heart's beating fast now what if it gets faster, what if I get palpitations and my heart rate goes wonky and what if the altitude and pressure causes something or the other, etc. WHAT IF's were going through my brain like nuts.

Then I decided to just take it, and take whatever it chose to give me.

Within a few minutes, the panic was completely gone. Just all gone. I was even a little excited and it was a good excited. I was fine on the airplane, even when I got anxious thoughts I was okay and it didn't bother me too much.

I notice the difference this time than the others was that I believed in the fact that I was gonna be okay, and that I honestly, honestly, would accept whatever would happen. The times when I would get panicky is when I wasn't okay with what could happen even if I thought I was. Sometimes I'd be even a little angry and a little assertive, and 'talk' to my panic. And be like: "You think you can own me? I'm not taking any of this any longer!" Weirdly enough I've found myself to be strangely more assertive to other people these past days because of this. I do have a social anx of avoiding confrontations, but now there's a tiny little voice in the back of my mind that's like "Bring it!" Which scares me in a good way, lol.

I'm still learning with this idea and sometimes I really don't feel okay especially if I have a down day and it's all I can do to distract myself from feeling panicky.

orangeblossom
03-01-09, 00:24
Firstly - WELL DONE!!!!! That is just amazing!! I hope you are really, really proud of yourself!!

Thank you so much for sharing this with us too :-)

It is really quite extraordinary what we can achieve when we finally stand up to our p/a/phobias - it isn't the easiest thing to do, but my goodness it feels incredible when we do!

Well done again!

x x

Reggie
03-01-09, 01:00
Wow, that's fantastic, an amazing achievement. :yesyes:

kenboon
03-01-09, 09:45
What an acheivement :yesyes: I honestly dont think i could do that.

Well done :)

Ken

Meltdown
03-01-09, 12:41
Well done indeed!

Your "bring it on" attitude is exactly what is needed to beat panic! every little bit of progress I have made is down to facing situations which make me anxious and telling myself "OK, let's just see what happens"

Flying is still one of the things I need to beat, so well done!

rainstorm
04-01-09, 02:01
I still have troubles with flying myself! I have to take dramamine to knock myself into a state where I simply go "Meh...whatever, I'm going on a plane"....but to tackle it head-on without the aid of a med or anything, that takes some real skill!

Well done, well done indeed Gryphoenix. :)

Dominic1975
04-01-09, 02:12
yeah well done...... i had a panic attack on the way back from new york a few years back.... it wasnt great and avoided flying for sometime..... but like you i stood up to it and took a 3hr flight panic free..... couple of moments of anxiety but managed to control it

Gryphoenix
04-01-09, 05:42
Aw, thanks guys, you make me blush. :D

It was so hard, but it really did feel so good once you get through it. I think planes are hard cause you can't run away and you're forced to face it. 3 hours is awesome, I was really happy to get my one hour and twenty minutes in, lol. I did get bouts of anxiety but it wasn't anything like before.