PDA

View Full Version : Hi Everyone!

tonyd45
03-07-05, 05:59
Hello my name is Tony and i have suffered General Anxiety for about 35 years on and off (im 45 now),i know alot more about it than i used to which helps but im still not really living my life because of the fear which pervades everything.
Anyway hope to chat to you all eventually,bye for now

Tony d

Meg
03-07-05, 07:27
Welcome Tony

Glad you're learning. What sort of issues bother you the most ?

What sort of help have you had to date ?

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

Karen
03-07-05, 10:39
Hi Tony

Welcome to the forum.

Karen

It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it is not possible to find it elsewhere.

pinkscrumpy
03-07-05, 11:12
Hi Tony

A big warm welcome

[^][^][^]

MANDIE XX

denise84
03-07-05, 11:43
hi tony and welcome. hope you find this site very useful as i have xx. take care and feel free to pm me!

dmcgovern

Mcched
03-07-05, 12:21
Hi Tony

Welcome, you'll find lots of support on this site!!

Nikki

tony
03-07-05, 12:48
hello from another tony,hope this site helps you

metal,rock, and hardcore music is my life!

henri
03-07-05, 13:07
Hi Tony,
welcome to the site. i know what you mean about the fear, it's evil. i've just read a brilliant, brilliant book called 'The Power of Now' by ekhart tolle. it teaches you how to live in the present and how to get rid of the all-consuming fear. It helps you realise that fear is inextricably linked to issues concerning either the past or the future and is usually based on 'what ifs'. if you replace the what ifs with an acceptance of what is happening now, the fear will slowly dissipate.
probably haven't explained myself all that well, but hope you get the general gist!
henri

tonyd45
03-07-05, 13:54
Hi again and thanx for the lovely welcome.
I only really sought help a few years ago and up to that point had just thought there was something wrong with me,as i had never spoken to another man who had suffered similar symptoms,it was only when i started researching it on the net and through similar sites to this that i found out i wasnt alone or mad (well not totally lol).
My anxiety has been off and on,only kicking in during stressful periods in my life,where it becomes unmanageble.
I have been on meds at different times (beta-blockers and anti-depressants) and a couple of years ago i tryed CBT therapy which was nothing like i have read,other people i have heard were set challenges and taught coping mechanisms but this woman just listened and i talked and i know its a talking therapy but i thought there would be more and delving into the past i found totally overwhelming,it did uncover the roots of some of my phobias though but i got so overwhelmed and frightened i couldnt finish the last two sessions.
I had my first panic attack when i was 10 yrs old due to the stress of my mothers difficult marriage to my alcoholic and violent father,i became her shoulder to cry on and my shoulders werent strong enough and i had a breakdown,the child psychologist i was sent to at the time said i was doing it for attention,anyways at 15 i discovered alcohol and for the next 13 years my life became increasingly blurred,i stopped at 28 and since then i have been trying to live my life,with varying degrees of success.
I have a wonderful partner,Sophia who also has had a "difficult" life and is never judgemental or dismissive of my problems so unlike my ex-wife who thought i was weak and odd and liked to tell me this which helped lots lol ( not!!!),but anyway Sophia is very supportive and im lucky to have her,when things are tough we bolster each other up.
Anyway id better stop rambling on and im glad i found you guys.

Tony d

nomorepanic
03-07-05, 14:12
Hi Tony

Welcome aboard the forum.

Sorry to hear that you had a bad experience at CBT. It does sounds as though she wasn't doing 'real' CBT as that would have involved doing some tasks that pushed your boundaries.

There are other ways of getting help and on here we can give you the tools to do "self help" if you so choose to.

I hope we can be of some help so ask any questions you want to and we will try to offer support and advice.

I am glad that you have a supportive partner - that will help enormously.

Nicola

"Nearly all happiness comes into our lives through doors we don't even remember leaving open"

pips
03-07-05, 16:36
Hi Tony a Big warm welcome to the site.

Take care,

Love PIP'S X X

seh1980
03-07-05, 17:17
Welcome aboard!! :D

"Life is too important to take seriously" Corky Siegal

Meg
03-07-05, 18:36
You didn't have CBT you had counselling.

You can improve - glad you have support

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

sal
03-07-05, 22:30
Hi Tony

Welcome to the forum. As you can see there are so many of us that understand how you feel and we are all here to support each other through this.

Love Sal xx

Dont mess up the best things in your life, just because at present you are unsure who you are.