PDA

View Full Version : breast lump and losing my mind!

Vicki08
04-01-09, 13:35
Hey everyone - Happy New Year to you all!:D

I am wondering if you can maybe give me some advice on something.

When I was 16 I found a smallish hard round lump in my breast. It is very moveable and gets smaller after my period and bigger during my period.It doesnt hurt and I have no other symptoms with it.

I went to the nurse and she said everything was ok and because I was so young it was unlikely to be anything nasty. So off I went and got on with my life and forgot all about it.

I am now 25 and I have been diagnosed with Panic attacks and health anxiety.:weep:

The thing is, I cant stop thinking about the lump and whether the nurse got my diagnosis all wrong. I keep prodding it and spend so much time focusing on it.
I am stuck in bed at the moment with this horrible flu bug thats going round and as you can imagine, my mind is going to overdrive!! :scared15:

My questions today are:

1. Why am I suddenly so concerned by this lump when I have had it for so long and its never bothered me before?
2. Do you think this lump could be anything serious? I have had some blood tests that have come back clear (they were testing for loads of stuff)
3.Could the nurse have got it wrong?

I just dont know why I am so worried about it again. The other week I thought I had blood cancer and DVT, yesterday I thought I had some heart defect.....where does it all end?!! :shrug:

Any advice is appreciated and thank you for reading my post.:D

Vicki xx

sunshine-lady
04-01-09, 13:56
Hi Vicki

I really don't think the lump in your breast is anything sinister. You have had is for 9 years,if it was anything nasty it would have certainly have changed during that time. It sounds like something hormonal as you said it changes in size during and after your period.

I do think you should pop and see your GP though, even if it's just for piece of mind.

Take care xxx

june
04-01-09, 14:21
Hi Vicki08,
I agree pop in and see your doc - it will put your mind at rest on that issue:hugs:
NOW when it comes to panic
The thing is, I cant stop thinking about the lump and whether the nurse got my diagnosis all wrong. I keep prodding it "don't" and spend so much time focusing on it. This is where EVERYONE will say "focus on something else"
I am stuck in bed at the moment with this horrible flu bug thats going round and as you can imagine, my mind is going to overdrive!! :scared15: This is normal for panic sufferers - you worry about ?? well you name it and we will worry about it:ohmy: that sounds awful - i know - but it is like that. And we tell each other (and mean it ) don't worry you will be fine:ohmy:
This is the cycle of panic.
Have a read of "symptoms" main menu, left of screen.
Loads of help and advice:hugs:
Hope you feel better soon:hugs:
June

Vicki08
04-01-09, 16:21
Thank you both for your replies. :hugs:

I feel a bit better now. I will try and pluck up the courage to see the doc but I remember how scared I was when I was 16 and went to the nurse and this kind of puts me off. Stupid I know!!:wacko:

Thanks again x

monkeyness
04-01-09, 16:27
Hi - once you've been you'll feel a sense of relief and be glad you went. I recently have been to the docs three times about breat pain (no lumps just severe pain in left breast and swollen nipple) and he referred me to the breast clinic. I was so scared during the run up to my appointment I could hardly think about anything else. i was sure they were going to tell me something bad - and it was all fine! A large percentage of the time, it always is, but you have the right to go to the docs if you are worried about something, even for just piece of mind....so go for it, and hope you get over the flu soon!
Monkeyness xx

crunchie01
05-01-09, 10:31
hi

i too have these lumps very moveable get bigger and then get smaller and also quite sore sometimes aswell, i have 2 of these quite close together.
i had a scan and i was told they were fibroidonema i have had mine for over 4 years at least, i did go througha stage of worrying about them again but i did start to realise if they were anything sinister i wouldnt be here now. i have had the dr and practice nurse check them again when i do start worrying they check them tell me they are ok and then im settled again. if you are worried go back to your gp and they will try and reassure you,thats what they are there for. try not to worry i know thats easier said than done but im sure you are fine