PDA

View Full Version : allergy paranoia

erialb1
04-01-09, 16:53
okay, this is going to sound to strange, but a few months ago i had a pizza with jelapinos as a topping, and as i was eating it my throat went funny and i thought it was gonna close up and i was having an allergic reaction, of course i wasnt though and nothing actually happened but since then i am SO PARANOID about eating absolutly everything which people have allergies towards like nuts, peppers, indian spices sorta stuff, onions, sea food, just anything typically people are commonly allergic too, i keep thinking my throat is going to close up when i eat those foods so i avoid them and have done for quite some time now, yet i've never had allergic reactions to any of those before, anyways the main problem right now its that i have a throat infection meaning i have to take anti biotics, now im so paranoid im gonna get an allergic reaction to the penacillin and die, i've had it before but i just keep thinking what if i've developed a reaction. i need some serious help, i've got an anxiety disorder anyways and ocd so i know its all part of this but im not taking anything for these two.. cos im paranoid about meds, so does anyone know what i can do to help myself to stop thinking this? its really affecting my life cos im constantly worrying about it and my mums been shouting at me to take my meds but i cant! what can i do?
sorry about the really long post, id really apprechiate a reply as i need some help desperatly

Blaire x

Angelai
04-01-09, 18:15
Hi Blaire, I'm sorry you're so stressed!

I have emetophobia/panic attacks/general anxiety and one of the things that happens to me sounds like what you're describing. I'll be eating (quite often crisps, but can be anything!) when all of a sudden I can't swallow. I mean really can't, I feel completely paralysed in my throat. I'll keep trying to swallow but my throat just won't. That sets my heart racing and I start to feel ill and even though I've had it so many times it still really scares me. Eventually, I'll be able to swallow (I've only had to spit my food out a couple of times, sorry if too much info!), but I have to 'do' something, twitch my body, move my arm or leg quickly, rub my leg (if I'm driving or sitting down) or, most effective, press my finger between my top lip and nose/put my hand over my mouth. Anything to 'break' what feels like a mind freeze. I've just read that back and it does sound crazy...

Anyway, it could be the same thing with you. Sorry I can't tell you exactly what it is, I suppose it's just another symptom :weep:

xx

erialb1
04-01-09, 18:57
thankyou for the reply that really helps :)

hope you get that sorted though!

xx

gtrgrl3369
05-01-09, 14:18
I dont think you sound crazy at all. I have been doing really great with anxiety and panic, but this is the one thing I cant get over either. I am so paranoid that I will have an allergic reaction to something that I have avoided eating alot of my favorites. I havent had an omlet in over a year because I am afraid of having a reaction to eggs. I eat other things with eggs in them but cant bring my self to actually eat one. My doctor told me to take an antihistimine beofre I eat if it would help me feel better but I am scared to take any meds for fear of the same thing. I have also spit my food out because of this fear. For some strange reason it doesnt cause an anxiety attack but I still have the fear of this. I do wish I could eat things like other people and enjoy them. My meds fear also needs to go. Take care honey and know that you are not alone in this.

Boos Mum
05-01-09, 22:21
this is so me :(

EmmaJane
05-01-09, 22:25
If I have read this right - it sounds to me, that you had a panic attack while you were eating and this has now made you anxious over this. Your throat will not close up as such - you will not stop breathing - a panic attack will not harm you. Its the thoughts that are now doing this to you. How about trying to eat something you are fearing, at home in your own time, maybe with someone with you. Try not to avoid it for to long, otherwise it will be harder to overcome.

Good luck

erialb1
05-01-09, 22:29
thankyou so much for all the replies everyone, really helps to know im not the only one! i thought i was being so silly.
gtrgrl its so strange that you have EXACTLY the same thing i do! i hate it, im going to the docters on wednesday though so hopefully il sort something
:) Blaire x

Southern_Belle
05-01-09, 22:38
Hi,

You must take your antibiotics for the infection to go away. I know I sound like a Mom but you don't have a choice unless you choose to get a shot. As for worrying about allergies you could always get tested. Over here they test either by a simple blood test or pricks on the back. I was tested (not knowing I actually had allergies, had to because son was so ill due to allergies) and was severely allergic to several foods, trees, mold, dust, etc.

When you are eating something try to read a book, look at tv or eat with a friend - anything to distract you from realizing that you are actually eating. This can be done, people eat all the time not realizing how much they have actually eaten while looking at a tv program and then go "oh my gosh, I just polished off a bag of crisps"! I'm thinking if you can start to eat without focusing on it so much eventually you will be able to eat anything. This is my wish for you anyways. Good luck!

Take care,

Laura

bab
06-01-09, 13:56
This Is Me - I Used To Carry Pitriton In Case I Had An Anaphylactic Shock And I Would Make Sure A Chemist Was Near In Case I Needed Adrenalin - Ure Not Alone -

fairyfloss
11-01-09, 21:22
hi there
i am new memberand reading your problem,just want to let you know that i am the same with meds.It reached a crisis point which is when i had to face my fear "full" on and had no choice but to take the medication that was prescribed to me! I know this may sound stupid but what i did to help me do it (and still do) was to snap the tablet in half sometimes a quarter and swallow it,i had anxiety for about hour because they usually say if you are going to be affected its within half hour or so? in my subconscience i probably think if the worse does happen,it will not be as bad as i have only took half the tablet(ironique i know lol) but what i am trying to say is what ever works for you to help improve your life.I told my doctor about my techniqe and he says if that works for me then thats what i need to do.whenever i got a prescription then the tablets would be in my cupboard for weeks and the thought of taking them was making me ill,but now, i take them the next day but still have to do "self talk"after i have took them.it does get better,honestly x if you need to PM me,please do,because if i can help you a little bit then thats a start. big hug x