PDA

View Full Version : Hello all :)

NatteAsbak
04-01-09, 22:42
Firstly, I would like to thank anyone who takes their time to read this. It means alot to me, really. I recently stumbled upon this site and was overwhelmed by the absolute helpfulness and compassion from people who write here. Though I don't know any of you personally, I feel I should thank you. Just reading your posts and your responses, have been very comforting and educational. In turn, I would like to share my story with all of you. I'll try to keep it as short as possible, but if I know myself right, it'll probably turn out longer than what was intended. Bear with me:)

I was born in 1990 in a town called Soenderborg, in southern Denmark. My father, a german, was a chemistry teacher at a highscool. My mother was an art- and psychology teacher at the local folk school. I had the most loving and supportive parents you can imagine, and I always remember my childhood as being very happy. There was less to worry about - life was simple and well. A couple of weeks after my 3rd birthday, my father died from a blood clut - his third in a period of a few years. I don't remember much about him, nor his death, but he's always been a huge part of my mind.

Around the time I was 6, things started to go bad. My mother found another man and we moved to Copenhagen. He was a drug-addict. When he was off the heroin, he was the sweetest guy on earth, but whenever he was on, he became offensive and at times abusive. When I was about 9 years old, I began developing OCD. It started out small - just a few rituals a day and some occasional intrusive thoughts, but I never spoke of it, as I figured it would pass. Me and my mother moved away again, when I was 10, because my stepfathers abusive behavior escalated. I don't hate him, but I have sympathy for him. He was a very broken and tormented man.

After we moved to Vejle, I dropped out or was kicked out of virtually every school I went to. Not that I was a bully or a problem-child, but I always questioned the simple logic that most teachers there had, which they found rather provoking. When I moved to my third school, around the age of 12, my OCD got worse. Literally, my whole day was build up by rituals and repetition - compulsive blinking, swallowing, breathing, speaking etc. I peed my pants while at school and was harrased (or hated) by everyone, because they thought I was "weird". I felt like a prisoner sent away for life, and it was truly hell. My mother, who was my only friend, arranged for some counselling and I was given cipramil. After about three or four weeks, the OCD had pretty much passed. By the time I got to see a counsellor, she told me that it was an anxiety disorder, that manifested itself as OCD. Today, I have no doubt, that I would not have survived, had it not been for the medication and my mothers love, support and care.

When I was 15, I went to boarding school. It turned out to be paradise. Everyone accepted each other and though it's hard to believe, all the 90-something students that went there, were friends. I remember it as being a time of bliss - chatting in our rooms, the morning assembly's or strolling across the beautiful campus. It changed me - I was happy and confident again. The world was my oyster and I was ready to conquer all of life's obstacles. I met my first sweet-heart there, had many good friends and... I started smoking. :blush:

Well, I came back home after a year, feeling good about myself - so I stopped taking my medication. Nothing happened. I started high school and after about a year-or-so, I started feeling bad again. Low self-esteem and no motivation. Most of my friends from the boarding school (except those that were closest to me) went their separate ways and I found myself lonely. It got worse too - I couldn't stand the face, I saw in the mirror every morning, spend all of my time in front of the computer and slept through the day, only to stay up late.

This November, I was at a reunion-party with those from my boarding school. It was lots of fun, until someone asked me, if I wanted to "smoke a roach?". I said yes. I can honestly say, that I've never felt worse in my life! It was excruciating - laying in bed, I felt myself drifting away to places, way worse than what anyone can ever imagine!! Hopelessness and agony, my mind was in chaos.

When I woke up the next morning, something was changed. It was like walking around in a dream-world. I felt cut-off from reality, my mind seem drowsy and I had trouble concentrating. I felt like something in my head was "broken" or that a piece of my soul was missing. I started getting panic attacks - I was terrified that I was going crazy or psychotic, that I was dying or that the world was coming to an end. I starting crying and shivering uncontrollable and the derealization worsened, to the point, that I was afraid, my mind was going to cave in. My mother, yet again, supported me, nurtured me and held my hand when things were the hardest. We saw a therapist, who explained the the drugs had "awoken" my anxiety disorder. I went back on Cipramil and was prescribed with some benzodiazepines. This was 1½ weeks ago. I feel much better now, but I'm far from "okay". I'm seeing my doctor this Wednesday, with my mom, discussing the progress and the possibility of starting on some CBT.

I'm confident, that this will pass and I'll get over this. I have big plans with my life and I'm going to reach my goal, no matter what. It's a struggle, but I won't back down.

Thank you for letting me share and I will continue to stay on these boards!

Love:hugs:
Jarl, 18 years old.

sunshine-lady
04-01-09, 23:00
Hi Jarl and welcome to NMP.

Thank you for sharing your story with us, sounds like you have had a tough time, but sounds like you have a wonderfully supportive Mother.

I am sure you will like it here as there is some much advice, information and support. Chat is a great place to make new friends

xxxxx

Patty
05-01-09, 10:28
Hi Jarl, :)

:welcome: to NMP. It's great that you've joined. There is so much information & help here.

All the best :D

weeble40
07-01-09, 09:38
Hi and a big welcome to NMP its great to have you here, hope to see you in chat sometime,

Take care

Emma xxx

PUGLETMUM
07-01-09, 09:51
:D hi jarl -:welcome: thankyou for sharing your very interesting story, its no surprise really that you have developed these problems - but as you get older you will hopefully find like i have that they are part of who you are and actually you dont have to let this aspect of yourself ruin your life - there is life WITH anxiety - i know controversial as alot of ppl just want to be rid of it!

ive come to the cocnclusion though that the harder you try to rid yourself of it actually the worse it gets - everyone suffers anxiety, but worying about it only makes it worse in my opinion. so eventualy you may be able to come to accept it and live with it like myself and many others have. ive also had anxiety since i was a teen and i have also had an emotionly unstable childhood and have lost a parent - although i was much older at 20.

glad to hear you are feeling better than you were, take care jarl :hugs:

armanoo
07-01-09, 10:17
Hi jarl and welcome to the forums :yesyes: :welcome:

hope you will find the help and support you need :bighug1:

regards from jerusalem

dannic1
12-04-09, 02:52
Hi Jarl,

I noticed where you experienced the compulsive blinking, swallowing and breathing. I've had all three. Of late, I've been suffering again from the compulsive swallowing. I think I've had OCD from elementary school on - just different forms of it throughout my lifetime. Although I do see a psychologist for my anxiety/OCD issues, the swallowing problem gets better and then it gets seems to get worse again. About the only thing that really helps me, oddly enough, is to chew gum while out in public. I've somehow learned to relax my mind/throat when I have a piece of gum in my mouth. I have some sense of normalcy again. Sometimes I'm even okay without it. The compulsive swallowing seems to get better and then gets really bad sometimes. I don't know what it is about holidays, but sometimes they trigger the OCD really bad in me. I had this swallowing problem years ago in high school and then it just went away eventually on its own. It came back under stress again in 2005. I lived for many years free of the obsessive swallowing. Now it is very hard for me to want to go out a lot socially, even though I work full-time and have a family. I have other friends who have it, so I know it's a very real symptom of anxiety/OCD. I'm wondering if I'm doing myself an injustice by not trying medication? Did the cipramil take the compulsive swallowing away? I'm trying to eat a lot of fish/turkey and exercise to help it, along with the counseling. Just curious how the medication helped and did you have any side effects on it? I realize everyone is different - just wondering. My one friend recently started Zoloft, so am waiting to see how she does on the medication. Luckily I have a very strong faith in God, which helps to sustain me and get me through each day. I've conquored the OCD before, so I remain hopeful.

Blessings,

danni

kittykat
12-04-09, 16:01
Hi there and :welcome: to the site, lots of good advice and support here, the chatroom is very good as well, take care xx

Southern_Belle
12-04-09, 19:01
Hi Jarl,

Welcome to NMP. Many here will understand how you are feeling and will give their support.

Take care,

Laura