PDA

View Full Version : Should I be retested by MRI?

fairyloveheart
05-01-09, 15:34
Hi There
Have posted lots fof threads about my self diagnosed brain tumour/sinus tumour etc. I have had a ct scan of my brain and 2 of my sinuses.

I am still v worried I have a head tumour of some kind.

I am still having the facial pain symptoms, face ache/frontal headaches and now episodes of light headedness. Have had a few visual problems, just flashing lights in one eye.

The GP has referred me to the pain clinic but I am convinced there is a tumour there. This fear is further fuelled by me reading on lots of websites that:
Generally CT is preferred where bone details are of paramount importance (long bones, spine, skull), whilst MRI produces much better soft tissue details (brain, spinal cord etc)
CT scans are useful for examining body cavities (thorax, abdomen, pelvis) for calcium deposits, cysts, and abscesses. http://www.painclinic.org/i-cache/up.gif (http://www.painclinic.org/home-mriscans.htm#top)

So what should I do.....I could demand an nhs referral but am not sure that would work, so maybe I could pay...

AtmoLav
05-01-09, 17:36
Fairy.

If I may be so bold: you need to let this go now. NONE of those symptoms are consistent with a brain tumour, your doctor and your tests agree with that. You need to accept that it is tension causing this pain.

Seeking further re-assurance on here isn't going to help you in the long run: no amount of re-assurance has helped you so far, so I'm afraid acceptance is what you need to go through.

Take it easy,

Atmo

lorac
05-01-09, 18:13
Hi Fairyloveheart

I think Atmo is right you do need to accept that everything is ok and you have had all the tests done. It does seem that your problems could be down to tension and anxiety and I think once you learn to accept this you may start feeling better.

Have you ever tried reading any of Claire Weeks books, by reading these I learnt to accept my symptoms of anxiety and panic and once I had accepted I began to learn to deal with each one of them and started to feel much better.

I wish you luck

Carol

EmmaJane
05-01-09, 20:16
Hi,

I think you need to take you doctors word for ir and the fact you have had tests. I know that is so easy to say, than do, but it really is the best way forward. The more reassurance people get, the more they need and it really doesn't help in the long term.

I'm one of those people and starting to realise that.

Good luck x

fairyloveheart
05-01-09, 21:31
But if a CT scan doesn't show possible tumours.... ARGH!!! I can feel my hear beating in my neck, throbbing......is that normal....

I have read the Claire Weekes but didn't find it very useful.

I have just ordered a new book off Amazon, not got it yet though

marlou
05-01-09, 21:52
I agree, that you have no signs of a tumor, docs are very good at reading these symptoms and I have suffered everything on your list during my own personal brain tumor panics, please try to be reassured

sunshine-lady
05-01-09, 23:55
Hi, like other people have said i think you need to let this go and put your trust in the Drs. I know you feel that you may have a tumour or something, however the tests have proved that there is nothing untowards. There isn't anything physical wrong with you, it is anxiety that make you feel this way

Trixie
06-01-09, 08:39
I had my six monthly MRI yesterday and when I came out I could see my brain tumour on the monitor, if you had one I am sure they would have found it they stick out like a sore thumb.

Boos Mum
06-01-09, 22:57
i'd have an mri esp of your pituitary

Henry1234
07-01-09, 08:39
Hi

Might not be what everyone else says but I think you should get an MRI either on the NHS or privately

You are so worried and anxious and it is obvioulsy affecting your day to day life - if you have the MRI and can see it is all normal then you will know it is anxiety based etc etc etc

To the people who say no signs of a tumor etc well I had one and had NO headaches!!!!! - sometimes symptoms dont follow what google says

It is all very well for everyone to say no dont have it but if I was you - and dont forget I have gone through similar - then I definetly would push for it one way or another then you can get on with life(says me!!!)

Hope this helps

Mark

Boos Mum
07-01-09, 11:22
I had headaches but they are unrelated to my tumor mris are cheap these days and easy

fairyloveheart
17-01-09, 22:01
To anyone who has had an MRI
How scary is it in the tunnel????

Emaa
18-01-09, 01:12
I honestly don't think you have a brain tumour. Infact, I'm 100% positive you don't.

Honestly hon, worrying yourself like this isn't good for you. And anxiety can give you alot of nasty symptoms that will make you worse.

I know that getting reassurance helps anxiety, but it's only a temporary fix. You really need to seek help over this - And not testing for a tumour, but psychological help.

You're fine honestly. Try not to worry.xx

Adam Thompson
18-01-09, 06:14
you should trust the scan its very good apparantely.
im dreading this scenario myself as im to have an MRI next month.

and i really dont know if its gonna convince me if it shows nothing
lol.

Trixie
18-01-09, 07:06
As you know Fairy I have one every few months, first of all you lie on a bed with your head on this special rest then they put a plastic cage thing over your head (but not touching your face) to keep it still then they slide you in.

There is not a great deal of room inside (but then it is not like you need to dance or anything). They give you a panic button and earring plugs, we have the option of bring a music CD with us for them to play on their special CD player. The music is fed to you by earphones. The ladies (in my case) go into to the control room and start the procedure.

It is noisy but nothing unbearable. The machine I go into has a mirror inside so you can see the ladies and the machine.

Ten minutes from the end they inject a liquid into my arm (this is to show up things) and then that is it.

Henry1234
18-01-09, 08:50
Hi Trixie - I hav never had the liquid on my MRI's but have to when have yet another one on Tuesday - what is it like?

Thanks

Mark

Trixie
18-01-09, 09:53
Hi Trixie - I hav never had the liquid on my MRI's but have to when have yet another one on Tuesday - what is it like?

Thanks

Mark

What part of your body is being examined?

Trixie
18-01-09, 09:57
This is helpful info http://hcd2.bupa.co.uk/fact_sheets/html/MRI.html

Henry1234
18-01-09, 10:47
Thanks

Having Brian MRI/MRA - had pit tumor and hemorrage last year and had op to remove it so I guess like you do I have repeat MRI's - dont like them at best of times!!! but this time they have decided to do it with contrast

thanks again and sorry Fairy to have taken over your post

I still think you should have an MRI to settle your worries once and for all

Trixie
18-01-09, 11:18
Thanks

Having Brian MRI/MRA - had pit tumor and hemorrage last year and had op to remove it so I guess like you do I have repeat MRI's - dont like them at best of times!!! but this time they have decided to do it with contrast

thanks again and sorry Fairy to have taken over your post

I still think you should have an MRI to settle your worries once and for all

I have mine to check to see if by brain tumour is growing.

Henry1234
18-01-09, 16:25
Trixie - message me if you want to chat

Mark

fairyloveheart
24-01-09, 11:15
Ordered the MRI, waiting for the appointment.
Quick question - do I have to take all piercings out or would it just be the ones in my ears???

fairyloveheart
24-01-09, 11:18
If they are scanning you and then they inject you, is that because they have seen something????

Trixie
24-01-09, 11:24
If they are scanning you and then they inject you, is that because they have seen something????

No.

Trixie
24-01-09, 11:26
Ordered the MRI, waiting for the appointment.
Quick question - do I have to take all piercings out or would it just be the ones in my ears???

They will tell you what to remove. I never have to remove my ring as my arms are waist level and platinum is OK (so I was told) I am not sure about gold and silver though.

Boos Mum
24-01-09, 12:11
I took it all out

fairyloveheart
29-01-09, 22:24
Just to let you know, I had the MRI and it was fine! Nothing sinister, no tumours, yippee. I wasn't expecting to get the results today, the same day I had it, but I did, the consultant was there so told me, when he gave me the films and he will write a report to the GP. Thank you to all of you for your support xxxx

Dooges
29-01-09, 23:20
Thats great to hear.
I would be interested to know that after getting your good results, have your headaches started to get better ?