PDA

View Full Version : Severe anxiety and panic

jhz
05-01-09, 17:19
Hi,
Just wondering if people can die from anxiety and painc? I wake up with my stomach tied in knots and start panicking and sometimes it seems to last almost all day. I cant eat b/c of no appetite and am losing weight fast. I don't see how you can keep surviving like this.
Thanks

tommy1982
05-01-09, 19:25
No one has ever died from anxiety or panic.

When I get anxious i dont want to eat, actually try and force food down when it happens, then i worry all day about not eatting.

Its extremely common to not want to eat when anxious hits, this can go on for weeks. However try eat, you will build up some safe foods, like bannas, yogurts, get something into you so you have energy to get over the anxiety.

But you will probally find yourself obsessing that your not eatting, its very common.

Its very very hard to starve (like if your having some food every couple of weeks and drinking water you will live) again dont try anything silly like that.

What I am saying is try eat when you can.

Dublin_Man
05-01-09, 19:48
welcome to the big bad world of anxiety

no u cant die , usually the anticipation is worse than the attack itself

its just a learnt behaviour , hard as it is , it can be unlearned like anything

if u always think negative then ur always gonna feel bed

try be positive u aint alone

bel25
05-01-09, 21:42
Tommy is right- no one has ever died from anxiety or a panic attack.
I have felt so sick that i didn't want to eat but after eating a bit you gradually feel better. If you don't eat it's a vicious circle- you're worried so you get anxiety and panic attacks, the panic attacks make you sick and therefore you loose your appetite, not eating heightens the anxiety and panic attack symptoms and makes you think there is something wrong with you (when you know there isn't) and you continue to worry. At the moment try eating things that you don't have to take time making so you aint making yourself really dizzy standing up but eat enough so that you get some energy- crisps, yogurts, fruit, nuts- anything that's easy to grab and eat. When you get your energy back you'll want to eat again and you will and then lots of the symptoms will disappear. I know it's hard but try and stay positive!
take care
xxx

Veronica H
05-01-09, 21:43
hi JHz
:welcome: to NMP. This will get better. There is a brilliant book by Dr Claire Weekes called 'Self help for your nerves' published by Thorsons ISBN 978-0-7225-3155-6. This is available from the NMP Shop. I cannot recommend this enough as it really explains what is happening to us, and how we can recover. Her recordings can be downloaded free to your MP3 from the NMP Shop too. Glad that you have found us. You will find comfort and support here.
Veronica

kenboon
06-01-09, 10:11
When i first started having panic attacks and severe anxiety, i was so scared that i was dieing as it does overwhelm you.
But to reasure you, no one has ever died from it.
It is very scary i know, but it will get better in time. 95% of it is down to confidence that you will be ok and not pass out ect. I can now fuction quite well, unless i get really stressed and then i get symptoms again. But now i know whats going on with my body and as to why symptoms occur and i just stick it out.

You will get there :)

All the best

Ken

panicagain
06-01-09, 10:18
So sorry your feeling bad:hugs:
If you "could" die from panic and anxiety i'm sure i'd have been gone long ago. i started the panic and anxiety when i was 15 and i'm still alive at almost 37. You'll be ok:yesyes: