PDA

View Full Version : Tension in shoulder/neck again........

Hollytree
05-01-09, 21:55
Hey, has anybody here had neck/shoulder tension that seems to last for weeks!!! My doctor has said it's all tension, it's driving me crazy! I had a hot bath tonight in a vain attempt that it might help!

I'm taking ibuprofen as well. What i hate the most is with health anxiety my thoughts are running riot with "what it could be" but my doctor says the same thing.....anxiety!!

I'm starting to think that having anxiety is actually worse than having the many diseases that i think i have!!!!

Utility
05-01-09, 22:00
Hi

That's the thing, it's a cycle that can be tricky to get out of.

Tension in the shoulder and neck can last a while and I would recommend Yoga, done under proper instruction. I am sure it will help.

Hollytree
05-01-09, 22:07
Yeah thanks, i know your right, it just gets me down, with on-going symptoms that seem to last forever!

I find it hard to control my thoughts when i feel like this, i end up winding myself up with it all and then make myself feel worse because of it

How does anxiety affect other areas of your life? I find my employment difficult as i don't have a very understanding boss!! she only recognizes physical problems and not mental ones!! she has had me in tears because she has not understood what i am going through and how hard it is. I have tried to explain to her, but she's not interested! What do i do there?

xx

EmmaJane
05-01-09, 22:22
OMG!! this is one of my main problems, seems to of been with me for years. Be very aware of your shoulders, if you are holding them up, as I am doing now lol.. lower them. Hot water bottles help.

Try not to be worried about it or the tension will get worse.

It is very painful sometimes and does get you down - you are certainly not alone. PM me if you want a chat about this

Southern_Belle
05-01-09, 22:26
Hi Holly,

If you work at a computer it helps to take mini breaks and roll your head around and move your shoulders up and down. You can do this at your desk. If you don't have this type of position it still helps to break up the tension. If you are in a big company you might look to see if there are other positions you are trained for and apply for them since your supervisor is not sympathetic.

You are having physical pain no matter what is causing it and I would think your employer would try to be more helpful than not. I'm not up to date on your employment laws so can't be of help in that department. I do hope you feel better soon though.

Take care,

Laura

ps

Sometimes I find hot showers right on the neck and shoulder area help as do heating pads.

Utility
05-01-09, 22:57
Hi Hollytree,

The employer one can be difficult.

Do you have a human resources department where this can be talked over? Your employer would certainly have to recognise that this is a concern for you.
Are you in a union? They can have all sorts of support services that may be of help.

Southern Belle makes a good point about not sitting in front of a PC for too long. This can cause tension and muscle strain.

Hollytree
05-01-09, 23:18
Hey, thanks for your replies, it does makes sense what you all say. Its getting out of the habit of.. A : i do sit at the pc for far to long! and this makes my shoulders tense, and B : my anxiety!!

After all the years i have suffered with health anxiety i thought by now i would have found a solution to help me deal with it.

As for my employment, there is "Well Being" at work, which is supposed to help, but to be honest they have been crap! i went to see them twice and nothing helpful came from it. She told me that she would speak to my boss and those above her and explain not just my anxiety but how to deal wtih mental health in the work place, but nothing has been addressed. What really upset me was that my boss, poured sympathy out to a work colleage over her minor trip to hospital and with me i get a cold un-sympathic response! She looks at me as if i'm making it all up!!

I thought by now in 2009 that mental health wasn't a social stigma anymore!!
Unfortunately it appears that some still do treat u like u are a leper!

xx

*D*
07-01-09, 16:07
Hi Holly,

YES,YES, YES! This is my biggest problem, the tension in my neck & Shoulders is awful. The more stress I am under, the worst it gets. If it is realy bad it can make me dizzy, which only make the stress level worse. You are diffently not alone.

D

Hollytree
13-01-09, 00:40
Hi D, u and i sound very similar i get like that too, how do you deal with it? Because i find it really hard : (

xxx