PDA

View Full Version : Is anxiety herediatry

jandmsmum
06-01-09, 01:50
Hi
I have suffered anxiety and panic attacks for 14 years now. I am adopted and have discovered that my maternal grandmother died in a mental hospital, and I also know that my mother has mental illness such as agoraphobia. I have an 11month old daughter and am very worried that this seems to have blighted the women in my family.
My biggest fear is that she will develop some sort of mental illness as I dont want her to suffer as I have. I want her to achieve everything she can in life instead of fearing things like I do.
Does anyone have any thoughts on whether this could be herediatry. As far as I am aware the men in my family have not had any such problems. Be grateful for any feedback.

mlondon
06-01-09, 10:32
Hi

Well my mum has anxiety and so do her cousins and my aunty, but they are all to different degrees, there are also people in my family who are perfectly fine. It is hard to say what is caused by nature or nurture though. I think your daughter is at a great advance however as if she does develop anxiety which she may or may not do whether it is hereditary or not, she will have a very understanding mum who will be able to equipt her with coping mechanisms. In this day and age there is always help out there as well, unlike the passed. Either way, you can't worry about it, I am sure you are a great mum!

Eva May
06-01-09, 12:05
My mum, grandmother and to varying degrees my aunt and uncles and these are all on my mum's side. I suffer worse than any of them but I do think it's hereditary. That's why I've decided not to have kids. Firstly I don't think I could handle it and secondly I don't want to be the same as my mum was when I was little.

dianes
06-01-09, 20:07
I have been told that it is genetic, it is only since I had a breakdown 2yrs ago and developed panic disorder/agoraphobia that I have realised my late father suffered with it. Both my sisters had breakdowns and suffer anxiety.

I have been told that we are more susceptical to adrenaline that the 'normals', but with the right treatment and learning techniques you can cure from this and live a full filling life as I am learning now. Try not to worry about child, there is no guarentee that she will suffer with it and if she does who better than her Mum to teach her how to live with it.

:bighug1: :bighug1: to you

Diane
'Remember, your imagination is always much worse than the reality'

sunshine-lady
06-01-09, 21:03
I am sure it can be hereditary, but although I have it, my mum, late father and my brother don't have it. My brother is very well grounded and has a very sucessful career, but my sister did have severe anorexia. My Maturnal Grandmother was agroraphibic and was "bad with her nerves" and some of my cousins from my mothers side have anxiety and or Bipolar. But seeing as my Mum was 1 of 11 siblings I suppose there was a good chance that there would be someone with mental health issues along the line.

I also think that nuture plays a huge roll too, I am sure with your support and understanding your daughter will grow up to be a wonderful person who won't be judgemental of people with anxiety problems.

:bighug1:

Deli
07-01-09, 20:17
Hi

i think every1 has anxiety inside them to some degree but it's how we deal with situations in our life, some ppl are stronger minded than others. I have had anxiety and panic attacks for years and mine started from an episode that happened in my life before that i was always anxious at normal things ie. driving test, exams, interviews but since i got GAD i'm anxious 24/7. So I'm not sure if it's hereditory or just down to ppl and how they cope with life. However i do wish there was a miracle drug or operation or something because living with anxiety is one of the worse things EVA!!!!!