PDA

View Full Version : driving on the motorway, abusive control, ptsd

sam_1
06-01-09, 02:38
hey guys,

i am writing on behalf of my mum as she doesnt have internet access but needs this site more than i do. She has suffered an abusive marriage where she was under constant control(i wont go into much detail im sure you can imagine), but escaped approx 8yrs ago and still experiences panic attacks at night and palpatations and is also scared of the motorway, coaches etc.
I was just wondering if anyone could relate so i can pass it on, as i think she is under the impression she is alone in this as the doctor has not been much help and only prescribed medication or counseling.
therefore wud be great if any one could also pass on their experiences of panic attacks/anxiety/ptsd/success from abusive relationships or ways they dealt with it.

Thank you,
this means alot

sam xxx

spaced
06-01-09, 08:23
hi sam
i'm sorry to hear your mum is still suffering from the past. i dont have any great words of wisdom for her but do i understand. i used to be in a violent relationship it can take a long time to recover. it takes time after been controled to rediscover who you are i remember putting some music on and not even knowing what sort of music i liked to listen i spent ages listening to different stuff to find out same goes for what do i like to wear, what do i like to watch on tv, what do i like to do, what makes me smile.
after struggling with things for awhile i deceided that he'd taken enough away from me already and i wasn't going to let him have my future that the best way to get back at him would be to be happy, so thats what i did sorted things out so myself and my daughter could have a better future one that i'm not letting anyone take away. i stayed on my own for 9 years after and now i'm in a new relationship and determind not to let the past spoil this one.

i'm not sure if any of that help please let your mum know that i wish her well for the future and she is not on her own.

Dublin_Man
06-01-09, 12:28
i avoid motorways as i wanna be in control , on a motorway if u get panic attack you cant turn around until u get to next exit , i had this , all i kept saying in my head was , i cant turn around for 7 more miles , worked my way into a fecking state and i hate motorways

if they a mile long u be on and off in no time so not as bad

but if theres a long one i get scared

its just feelinsg of not being in control and by the sounds of it when ur mother was married she didnt have control , its a fairly normal symptom