PDA

View Full Version : Work and Depression

signedoffwork
06-01-09, 18:54
OK, I had an informal chat today with one of the bosses at work today. I had to leave work early so I could go to a therapy session. These sessions are taking place in the afternoon simply because that's the only time I can get an appointment. My boss said to me that they now want a letter from the doctor saying that I need to have these sessions, that the sessions have to take place in the afternoon (even though I said to them at work because it's a NHS doctor I can hardly choose when I want the sessions!) and for how long these sessions are going to go on for (how long is a piece of string?) I have no issue with this, in fact I asked for a letter today and just got to wait and see if they can do one for me.

I was also told I'm going to have to go to the occupational therapist, I have no issue with this (I'm a little surprised because apart from those two weeks in September where I was signed off I haven't had any further days off). I was told I had to see them so they could try and help me, which, again I have no actual issue with. Well, the only issue I have is that my depression isn't directly related to work and I don't want Occupational Health to say that because it's not directly related to work then I shouldn't be given regular time off to see a therapist.

I guess my question is this: is this "normal" for them wanting all this info to put on my file? As I said, I have no issue giving it to them but I guess I just need to know where I stand on this.

Thanks in advance!

sunshine-lady
06-01-09, 19:58
I am afriad, I no longer work so really can't give you a construtive answer. However, someone posted a Gaurdian newspaper article about how the Government now want to help people with depression and anxiety to stay in the work place before things get too bad. I don't know if this is the case with your workplace, just a suggestion.

Smiley?
06-01-09, 20:36
With occi health, they probably just want to double check that there is nothing at work that is bothering you or making things worse. They can also give input on working hours and breaks to help with things like this. And basically, if occi health recommend something then your managers can't ignore it and must oblige.

It's only fair too that they have written proof of you going to therapy during work time - especially if they are still paying you for the time. For all they know you could just be wandering round the shops or going home early!!

I think it's good that your employer actually cares enough to do all this. I have just been off for the best part of 3 months and no such support is in place for me. That's the NHS - the caring profession - for you!!!

signedoffwork
06-01-09, 21:32
I have no probs with providing evidence that I'm going to these sessions because, hey, if I were in their position I'd be asking for it too!

What I do have concerns/issues about is why they're now making me see an occ therapist? I was signed off for work for two weeks back in September due to stress and upon my return I was offered nothing of the sort, in fact, I even searched for the occ therapist in our company so I could see them myself and discovered we didn't appear to have one. I was also being bullied for twelve months prior to going off on sick leave and they did nothing to help me through that... I'm now in therapy due to depression, so why act now all of a sudden?

I just so sick of it all. I'm sick of always feeling on edge, always thinking "they're out to get me", always being made to feel that the issues at work are because of me... grrrrrr....

I think I'm just being paranoid!!! :D

Smiley?
06-01-09, 21:48
In that case I don't know why it wasn't offered before. Maybe the facility of occi health has only just become available and that's why you couldn't find them yourself before?? Or maybe your manager didn't know about it and someone above them has reminded them that they should be actioning this kind of response.

I'm not trying to defend your bosses or anything, hell, I've got enough complaints about my own! Try not to feel on edge about it all, and paranoia is part of the territory (lol) just allow them to do their bit and once it's done if there's no work issues it's finished with.

signedoffwork
06-01-09, 21:57
I'm not trying to defend your bosses or anything, hell, I've got enough complaints about my own! Try not to feel on edge about it all, and paranoia is part of the territory (lol) just allow them to do their bit and once it's done if there's no work issues it's finished with.

You're completely right!!!! :yesyes:

And they're probably just covering themselves legally, just in case they think I'll take them to a tribunal!!!!! :D

OK, must chill out!!! :roflmao:

freakedout
09-01-09, 18:24
Hi signedoff work,

I have to agree with Smiley really, but I don't think your employer can dictate when you attend appointments. Obviously they have suggested afternoons but that may not always be possible. If you provide evidence that these appointments are necessary then they cannot prevent you from attending them whenever they are.

The Occupational Health department can be really useful, I always thought they would try to get me back to work before I was ready but they are more neutral and actually supported me more than I expected, they were also very selective in the information about my health that they actually gave my employer, they still have a duty to maintain your confidentiality. I always asked for copies of letters they sent to my employer, you might want to do this too, it may at least reassure you to know what is being said about you!! (Yep I was paranoid too).

Freaky

signedoffwork
20-01-09, 20:07
OK -- I'm being very co-operative at work with their request -- yet, they're still not happy and want more info. Yesterday I gave them a letter from the doctor (took ages to get it!) this is what the letter said:

To Whom It May Concern

This patient of mine has been suffering from severe depression and insomnia which have given her physical symptom. She is awaiting psychotherapy and continues to attend surgery for reviews but she will need ongoing management for this.

This has necessitated time off work but at this stage I'm unable to give any prognosis or the likelihood of further time off.

The situation may change as she receives further therapy...

My boss spoke to me again today saying they had a meeting about this yesterday and said that they need a letter from the doctor stating that I have to have the appointments when I have the appointments -- I said to them, given it's the NHS, I take the available appointments when I can and that I try to get them as late in the day as possible. I also pointed out that I do start work earlier on the days I need to leave early. I also stressed that sometimes the appointments are during work hours, other times they're not -- it just really depends on when they're available.

I also pointed out that my colleague, who works with me in my office, takes time off work every two weeks to see a doctor about back problems but she hasn't been asked to prove her illness or even asked to get a letter from her doctor saying she has to have the appointments when she does.

All my boss said, "Oh yeah, that's right she has appointments every two weeks..."

I did say that even though I'm being very co-operative with them that I feel it's a little unfair to expect me to provide further evidence (I even said the doctor won't write a further note regarding appointment times because he won't!) when others aren't even being asked to provide a letter from their doctor stating what their illness is that's requiring them time off work to attend doctor's appointments.

I'm feeling really rubbish because I'm on day two of taking citalopram and I feel like rubbish. I just don't know what else to do or think...

I'm clearly being harrassed here (I feel) and given that we're "going through a period of restructure" at work with a possibility of having to reapply for our own jobs at the end of the year they're going to use this against me. They said this is all going on my file -- yet my colleague who also going to regular appointments for back problems isn't having her illness going on file.

WHY ME?????????

freakedout
20-01-09, 23:26
Ji,

Is there a HR dept where you work? Have they been involved in these meetings with your boss? Or have you access to a union rep? You could do with some official advice really to support you with this situation.

Personally I think it seems wrong to treat you differently from another colleague. It certainly doesnt seem fair to expect you to provide evidence of appointments and not the other colleague. You may be able to pick up an appointment card from your GP surgery and just fill it in yourself when you have appointments. They often get appointment cards given by drug reps so I am sure you would be able to get one if your therapist doesnt use them.

I am sure this whole situation increases your stress levels dont let the B******D's get you down, you are not well and don't need this crap too.

Be strong, take care, you will get there.

Freaky

The Citalopram can sometimes make you feel worse before it makes you feel any better. I didn't have any unpleasant side effects with it initially, well except yawning a lot and feeling very tired!

signedoffwork
21-01-09, 07:35
I'm a member of the union but they're absolutely rubbish where I work. They're not doing anything about it. When I tell them what's going on they're like, "oh well..." I've tried getting in contact with the branch secretary and when I do finally get to speak with her (which is very rare because she says she's too busy) she's just as useless. They just will not get involved or give me any advice.

The HR department are apparently involved. The bosses informed the HR department (apparently) of me taking time off work even though they didn't for my colleague. They're claiming it's the HR department who are insisting on this extra info.

I'm having to take today off work because I just feel so rubbish because of the side effects, just sitting here typing is making me ache and I know they're probably going to kick up a stink.

I don't take that much time off, especially in comparison to my other colleagues and this year I was determined not to take any time off, but that hasn't worked.

Today is not a good day...

Dominic1975
21-01-09, 08:03
Hi

Sorry you are having such a rubbish time of it, depression and anxiety is an illness that employer difficulty in understanding and supporting..... I work for a large company as a manager, and i wanted to let you know it is standard practice to ask for a letter about appointment, especiallt around the times... Im sure you are a person that would do there best to book appointments out of office hours, but unfortunately you get a lot of people that use it to there advantage and will book them in the middle of the day.
I would normally engage occ health if a person has had a lot of time off, but we also do it if someone is struggling... This way we can support you to make sure you stay in work, rather than push you or the edge... We also want to make sure like you said that we dont do anything that could land us in court, where we may have acted unfairly
I do however here what you are saying about other colleagues... If you are been questioned about time out of the office, so should they
You meantion above HR have been contacted and engaged by your boss.. HR is there to work on behalf of the employer and employee... I would go direct to them and speak about your circumstances, they may make you feel a little more at ease with the situation
Hope you are feeling better soon....

signedoffwork
21-01-09, 08:07
Hi

Sorry you are having such a rubbish time of it, depression and anxiety is an illness that employer difficulty in understanding and supporting..... I work for a large company as a manager, and i wanted to let you know it is standard practice to ask for a letter about appointment, especiallt around the times... Im sure you are a person that would do there best to book appointments out of office hours, but unfortunately you get a lot of people that use it to there advantage and will book them in the middle of the day.
I would normally engage occ health if a person has had a lot of time off, but we also do it if someone is struggling... This way we can support you to make sure you stay in work, rather than push you or the edge... We also want to make sure like you said that we dont do anything that could land us in court, where we may have acted unfairly
I do however here what you are saying about other colleagues... If you are been questioned about time out of the office, so should they
You meantion above HR have been contacted and engaged by your boss.. HR is there to work on behalf of the employer and employee... I would go direct to them and speak about your circumstances, they may make you feel a little more at ease with the situation
Hope you are feeling better soon....

Thank you! That's not only made me cry (in a good way!) but has made me feel a lot better.

First thing tomorrow is I'm going to speak to HR. At the moment I'm feeling it's too much them against me and it needn't be that way.

Thanks again! You've really helped.