PDA

View Full Version : Mental Heath Assessment - what happens??

shortstuff
07-01-09, 21:16
My GP has referred me to the community mental health team for an assessment. Has anyone been for a MH assessment and would be prepared to tell me what happens / sort of things they ask etc. I'm freaking out a bit!!

Hereford Al
07-01-09, 22:41
Hi Shortstuff.
When I was first signed off from work back in July, I was going through such a hard time for the first few weeks that my GP referred me to the CMHT.

I was initially "interviewed" by the lady whom I still see on a regular basis, explained exactly what had happened and why I thought I was suffering so much (work stress!). This lasted for about an hour or so.

I was then given an appointment for a few days later to see their team Psychologist and this was a bit more personal questions about family stuff, bullied as a child at school, etc. I was then prescribed a medication that they thought would be appropriate (which felt alot better than my GP basically saying "Here are some pills, come back in 2 weeks") given my symptoms.

After this, I saw the case worker each week for the next month or so for updates and stuff, and I know that if I ever get really bad again (like I was in November when I had a massive relapse with my anxiety) then I can phone her up for a chat. I still see her every month or so and I find that talking to someone with expert knowledge in this type of thing is better than any medication - I always find I feel alot better once I have gotten all the stuff in my head out in the open properly.

In short, there is nothing to be worried about because everything you say is kept in confidence and nobody apart from your case worker and their team members will ever see your file.

Hope this helps,
Al

HeatherMc
07-01-09, 22:59
Hello

Don't be worrying the professional will ask you a series of questions in the form of an informal chat, they will ask if you are suicidal have thoughts of self harm, thoughts of harming others, what you eat ie do you eat enough, they will ask about your sleep patterns, whether you drink or smoke or take illicit substances, they will ask your family circumstances ie who you live with whether you have children etc, they will ask questions that will ascertain whether you are paranoid or delusional, they will ask about panic attacks or anxiety they will ask about your sociale activities, whether you have hobbies or interests, they will ask whether you work or have any financial worries.

this is not an interogation it is to build up a picture of how you are feeling and maybe any factors that could have triggered this the whole purpose is to assess you and help you sometimes to refer you to the appropriate person whom is suitable to your particular type of problem the person will not judge you - they have will have heard it all before the interview is completely confidential and the information will not be shared with anyone like any other medical consultation.

Most people in my experience are quite relieved and pleasantly surprised by their outcome ie they are not as sick as they think ie people experiencing symptoms especially for the first time may think it is something extremely sinister and may be worrying themselves sick when a professional can put things into perspective and offer treatment thus leading eventually to a positive outcome ventually.

Don't be worrying it will probably be a relief to get things of your chest.

Heather

Notator
07-01-09, 23:47
Hi Shortstuff,
Nothing to worry about! My experience echoes that of the previous posters...
You're not going to say anything that will shock or upset, they are professionals, just relax as much as you can and be as honest as you can be. If something is difficult for you to discuss, don't avoid it or hide it just tell them that you find it a difficult subject. As with a lot of things, the more that you can put in, the more you may get out!

They're there to try and help, not to judge...
Hope it goes ok for you!

shortstuff
08-01-09, 07:54
Thanks everyone! This has helped loads. I simply can't face anything new these days without having some idea of what will happen. Knowledge is power and all that :blush:

Anna C
08-01-09, 18:09
Hi,

I was referred in July and went for the assessment in September. I was terrified, but there is nothing to worry about, I was asked questions similar to those already mentioned.
Someone told me to be prepared and write down everything that I suffered with so I could tell them, but I forgot, although it didn't matter because she asked me everything I didn't mention that was relevant.

The person who assessed me is the person who is giving me therapy and so far she has been really good.

Good luck Anna xx

Howzat1980
14-04-10, 02:04
as an add on to this... shall i tell the 100% truth? the reason is ask is that my drinking increased when i started to go down hill and i don't want that to be the focus of the assessment..the drinking is part of how i feel not the issue..also..and i am scared to admit this but will anyway..i have started taking some substances..i dont know why i guess it makes time speed up so my workjng day goes quick, i can concentrate, i dont eat so i lose weight which makes me feel good and i dont sleep so its a vicious circle..in the morning i take more as i wont get through the day without falling asleep otherwise...again, this is not the problem..i have dealt with depression and self harm since i was 13 (this is the first time i remember cutting myself and i am 30 now, back then i didnt know what i was doing or why) i have been diagnosed with PMT abd deoression but i really dont think thats it... i am a very astute person and i know what people are thinking..its not paranoia although when people deny what i say it makes me wonder.. i dont know how to play the referal to the mental health hospital..i say play because i have always had to play the councillors...tell them more of what they want to hear..they ask questions and i actually dont know the answer.. so i make one up to make them feel like they are doing the right thing.. i know for sure that 80% of the year i am absolutely fine..i dont think there is anything seriously wrong woth me as i am still driving to work and doing a full 8 hoir day..i just need some help and the right help !! so...long winded i know.. but do i tell the truth the whole truth and nothing but the truth or risk them concentrating on my drinking and drugs??

oneofus
14-04-10, 08:07
Ok let's be honest, sorry if it hurts but "i am a very astute person and i know what people are thinking..its not paranoia although when people deny what i say it makes me wonder..". No you do not know what other people think you only think you know what they think. You need to conquer such fears, perhaps by finding a good friend and asking them bluntly if they do think what you think they think (sorry about all the thinks!).

Secondly, do be honest. Put it all on the table 110%. Drugs and alcohol are not a good combination, and they are not a support therapy. You're better off talking to someone, about anything and everything, even if it's online in the forums or chat room.

chrislot
14-04-10, 09:23
Many people with an attraction to substances, are in fact self medicating. This is your stress release. Research biochemical imbalances which can lead to addictions, under / over methylation, pyroluria and copper overload. Most of these conditions cause anxiety and depression. They do not have mainstream acceptance ,and it is really difficult to find a trained GP, who has even heard of these but personally I have had an amazing response ,after 15 hellish yrs, struggling. The Pfeiffer Research Institute, Ohio, have a lot of great info on their website. Best wishes, C

Redrainbow
14-04-10, 09:43
You have nothing to worry about,,,all they will do is someone will sit and ask you questions about yourself and the way you feel, you can have someone with you if you want too. And after that you will be on your way and they will get in touch with you. Really you have nothing to worry about,
Regards Redrainbow

Howzat1980
15-04-10, 00:23
i just want some help from someone i feel i can trust but there is just no one ... i cant stop crying just wish i didnt feel like this