PDA

View Full Version : how do u get doctors to listen?

Deli
07-01-09, 21:53
ok, i keep reading threads how ppl have been reffered for MH assessment or CBT etc by their doctor, please can you tell me how you got your doctor to send you there cuz i jus keep gettin fobbed off with pills and i dont want pills i dont take them so therefore im not gettin better, n this is now leading to severe depression for me (not having nice thoughts)

thnx xx

cheekycharlie
07-01-09, 21:59
explain to your doc how you feel & was wondering if you could be refered to CBT. Maybe you could see another GP at the practise ( not sure if you keep seeing same one or not) or try a female doc, they seam to be more understanding. Sorry, no offence to fella's!

Deli
07-01-09, 22:08
im to scared to ask, or even spk to another GP i suppose i have got get the courage first :-( thnx for ur help x

shortstuff
07-01-09, 22:18
You need to find a GP who you feel you can work - my last GP literally told me to "Get on with it" when I was crippled with stress!!!! I am so pleased I changed practices.

My current GP put me in control of my treatment from my first appointment with him. A lot of the time I have been in no fit state to make decisions about meds and therapy and he has stepped in when I have needed him to. He was reluctant to refer me for CBT before Christmas as he thought it would be quicker for me to access it from work. However he said that the NHS has changed their referral system within the last 2 weeks to make it easier for people to be referred, assessed and access CBT on the NHS. He had the referral form ready when I arrived tonight - I should be seen within 4 weeks!

I would ask directly for a referral and if it is refused, ask for reasons and, if necessary ask to see the practice manager. You are entitled to appropriate treatment so don't give up until you get it!

(BTW - I sent and official letter of complaint into my PCT about my previous GP)

Good luck

Nic
x

Deli
07-01-09, 22:21
thnx for tht

is there any chance i can get CBT through the NHS without having to go to my GP because thats all i get is the Get on with it attitude or shove them pills down your neck so i can get to my next patient.

x

Utility
07-01-09, 22:52
Hi

It is usally a referal via your GP so try this avenue again but also have a look at the NHS Direct or NHS 24 website or give them a call. They might be able to point you in the right direction or offer alternative advice.

Notator
07-01-09, 23:52
Hi Deli, sounds like you have an unsympathetic doctor or one who is perhaps misguidely thinking that you don't need to be "in the system"...

I agree with the other posters - try to see a different doctor and try to remember that they work FOR YOU...not the other way round :-)

Another tactic if you get flustered at the surgery is to write down what you want to say beforehand - its stops you getting sidetracked... And if all else fails just hand over the written note and ask them to read it... That will also have the advantage of being added to your notes in all likelyhood.

Good luck!

bel25
08-01-09, 00:13
My doctor is a nice guy and seemed to understand what panic attacks were (it's a start compared to some doctors- trust me). I told him i had them and i wanted to be refered for CBT. He offered me pills (which i turned down- i've never taken them) and said he wanted to do a routine test to make sure nothing was wrong with me which is understandable but i had to wait a few days to do the test and then a further week to discuss the results- i don't think he realised how bad i felt. I actually made an emergency appointment in the meantime and i got a different doctor who made me feel like an idiot! I said i wanted to be refered and he said he wasn't able to (wish is bull! coz my other doctor gets me refered eventually) and then said it wasn't an emergency appointment! I did need to see doctor about my inhaler as well so discussed that but he was just awful about the anxiety! I went back to the other doctor and surprise surprise there was nothing wrong! So he put it down to anxiety and sent me away saying to come back in January if i was still feeling bad and he'd let me know when he got some leaflets about it for me. I actually got a friend to ring and she enquired with the receptionist about how to get referred and if i needed GP to refer me (unless you want to pay privateyou do) and explained how bad i was feeling, within half an hr i got a call off the doctor then wanting me to try some travel sickness type pills (i'd told him i'd been getting dizziness, detachment, light-headedness the first time i went to see him complaining of panic symptoms but this time he wanted to make sure i didn't have an ear infection or something) and again, i didn't! Since then i've been on the waiting list to see a therapist but i'm fine now. The speed at which the doctors deal with it is ridiculous! Now i'm about to get the help i don't need it! The annoying thing is that i knew from the start what it was but he insisted on doing tests and wasn't really listening. You must be persistent with them and explain how bad you feel and how badly you're coping.
good luck!
xxx

purplehaze
08-01-09, 03:19
REMEMEBER YOU CAN COMPLAIN ABOUT YOUR DOCTOR AND MORE PEOPLE SHOULD

THE DAYS WHEN THEY WHERE TREATED LIKE GOD'S IS PAST, IF THEY ARE NOT PROVIDING A GOOD SERVICE THEN REPORT THEM

Kazza699
08-01-09, 10:54
I'm off to my Doctor's this afternoon and for some reason am really nervous! I need a note as I'm still off work, but I need to discuss counselling possibly and meds. I need to be assertive otherwise the usual will happen - i'll come out with a sick note but I'll be no nearer improvement! Aaarrgghh! I'm getting worked up just thinking about it, which is daft I know. :wacko: