PDA

View Full Version : Can't sleep for worrying

fairyloveheart
08-01-09, 00:00
Thought I'd try and get an early night as feel so tired all the time, took some quiet life (never tried before) and had a horlicks and have just lay there for 3 hours worrying and crying. I can't cope with this anymore. I am waiting for some blood test results at the moment, but every twinge and funny feeling I worry is part of the bigger thing (prob a brain tumour - my biggest fear), I have my heart pounding away, seems most visible and throbbing in my temple, I feel like I am shaking. This is just a nightmare

Dominic1975
08-01-09, 00:15
sorry to hear your not coping well..... try not think about te test..... get a pad, write down your thoughts.... then tell yourself, they will be there in the morning it time now for sleep..... that has worked for me

fairyloveheart
08-01-09, 00:28
Ok, will try it..... thanks

JordanW92
08-01-09, 01:08
Hi, this thread just caught my eye, I'm feeling EXACTLY the same as you right now. I'm worried I have a brain tumour because I have a dull ache towards the back of my head and i'm feeling slightly sick. I can't sleep because of this and I regularly can see my pulse in my temple if I look in the mirror. What we are struggling to realise though, is that these symptoms are classic symptoms of anxiety. I know it's easier said than done but just try to distract yourself, maybe watching TV, (I've just been playing my guitar), read something that interests until you feel sleepy. I often fall asleep with music or the TV on. Seriously, I had this same worry a few years ago, and it eventually just went, the more you think about it the more it will haunt you. Distract your thoughts and think positive!

Trixie
08-01-09, 06:29
I know that with HA thoughts of ones health are totally out of proportion (I don't have it but worry about something else) but what is it that scares you so much about brain tumours?

Ryan
08-01-09, 06:59
I've got a different illness every day of the week in my imagination! drives be bloody nuts and brain tumour is usually right at the top of the list. Its always worse in the winter too... no idea why!

Just try and remember that it is FAR more likely your imagination running away with you and it happens to all of us!

crunchie01
08-01-09, 10:57
hi,
when i was struggling to sleep through worrying i took kalms sleep and i found they were really good, you relax and when you wake it feels like you have had a proper good sleep

fairyloveheart
08-01-09, 14:46
Hi All, thanks for your comments. Will get some Kalms....see if they work.

Trixie - It's the feeling of it being left undiagnosed for too long that is my biggest worry that I will just progressively get worse - and it will be too late when they eventually find it. I feel like if I had the diagnosis (not that I want one) but if they actually said to me...it is so and so.. whatever that may be..then I could try and deal with it in whatever what possible.

So far the doc has said, it is very strange, it's nothing to do with your sinuses, it's not migraines and as it didn't respond to Amitripyline or Gabapantin it isn't any nerve ot aytpical facial pain..... then they went on to say they only know about 50% of what there is to know about any pain or disorder and whatever I had was in the unknown. I can't go on without a diagnosis of anything.

The fact they have referred me to the pain clinic also feels like it is a closed door, in that they are satisfied it is nothing sinister (words of doc), I however am not satisfied. I think i should just ask to be referred for an MRI to put my mind at rest....but I have a feeling they will just say no.

Now my trouble is also that I am having trouble distinguishing from the symptoms of whatever is wrong (facial pain, nose pain, forehad pain) from other things and am bunging them all together, i.e. neck pain, throbbing heart beart, twinging big toe(!) etc.

I know that anxiety and stress can make things worse but I also know me and my body and I know that there is something wrong causing the pain intially.

I am sorry for being a whinger all the time.

Trixie
08-01-09, 16:01
Hi All, thanks for your comments. Will get some Kalms....see if they work.

Trixie - It's the feeling of it being left undiagnosed for too long that is my biggest worry that I will just progressively get worse - and it will be too late when they eventually find it. I feel like if I had the diagnosis (not that I want one) but if they actually said to me...it is so and so.. whatever that may be..then I could try and deal with it in whatever what possible.

So far the doc has said, it is very strange, it's nothing to do with your sinuses, it's not migraines and as it didn't respond to Amitripyline or Gabapantin it isn't any nerve ot aytpical facial pain..... then they went on to say they only know about 50% of what there is to know about any pain or disorder and whatever I had was in the unknown. I can't go on without a diagnosis of anything.

The fact they have referred me to the pain clinic also feels like it is a closed door, in that they are satisfied it is nothing sinister (words of doc), I however am not satisfied. I think i should just ask to be referred for an MRI to put my mind at rest....but I have a feeling they will just say no.

Now my trouble is also that I am having trouble distinguishing from the symptoms of whatever is wrong (facial pain, nose pain, forehad pain) from other things and am bunging them all together, i.e. neck pain, throbbing heart beart, twinging big toe(!) etc.

I know that anxiety and stress can make things worse but I also know me and my body and I know that there is something wrong causing the pain intially.

I am sorry for being a whinger all the time.

Will a clear MRI put your mind at rest?

AtmoLav
08-01-09, 16:43
I can't go on without a diagnosis of anything.

Fairy, please don't waste any cash on an MRI then....because that will come back clear and you still won't have a clear diagnosis. And if they refuse on the NHS then you're going to have to put it down and move on.

Quintessence
08-01-09, 16:54
I had some very strange symptoms in my face and forehead a few years ago - twinges and pains, not migraine. My instinct, unusually non-anxious, was that it was skeletal, and I went to a chiropractor. He clicked my neck, and the problem disappeared at once and has never recurred.

carla7777
08-01-09, 16:58
I am exactly the same. I am 31 years old and can't convince myself enough that there isn't anything wrong with me other than what is in my mind... I have often thought that there is some underlying serious illness behind all of my aches, pains, trembles and general fuzzy headed feeling. I am virtually convinced that there is nothing wrong with you too.. You just have to convince yourself of this which is alot easier said than done. Today i have felt panicky for most of the day and know it will pass later on tonight when i don't even realise it and sit to watch tv or something which distracts my mind from symptom after symptom... If you had an MRI scan done now then even in a couple of years or so you might find that the worries return anyway so the best thing to do is to talk about it on here, deep breaths, and distraction. We all go through really bad periods of worrying more than normal but this should pass.

fairyloveheart
08-01-09, 17:10
Will a clear MRI put your mind at rest?

I think so, yes....:winks:

fairyloveheart
08-01-09, 17:11
I had some very strange symptoms in my face and forehead a few years ago - twinges and pains, not migraine. My instinct, unusually non-anxious, was that it was skeletal, and I went to a chiropractor. He clicked my neck, and the problem disappeared at once and has never recurred.

Thanks for this, I went to a Head and Neck Physio, but they said they didn't think it was referred pain - had about 8 visits (cost me lots!) and the pain didn't go away!

Thanks though

fairyloveheart
08-01-09, 17:13
I am exactly the same. I am 31 years old and can't convince myself enough that there isn't anything wrong with me other than what is in my mind... I have often thought that there is some underlying serious illness behind all of my aches, pains, trembles and general fuzzy headed feeling. I am virtually convinced that there is nothing wrong with you too.. You just have to convince yourself of this which is alot easier said than done. Today i have felt panicky for most of the day and know it will pass later on tonight when i don't even realise it and sit to watch tv or something which distracts my mind from symptom after symptom... If you had an MRI scan done now then even in a couple of years or so you might find that the worries return anyway so the best thing to do is to talk about it on here, deep breaths, and distraction. We all go through really bad periods of worrying more than normal but this should pass.

The prob I have with it all, is that I didn't have any problems before the pain started, I wouldn't say I was an anxious person in other respects you see. Work doesn't worry me, I don't get stressed about that (only now that I feel ill and can't work up to my potential!)

The pain definately started at a time when I wasn't stressed atall, I was looking forward to a month of work for Christmas in fact....and then in started! That is why I am sure there is a cause, it has now all got added together with the dizziness and other symptoms (which I agree may be anxiety related)

Thank you for all your thoughts. It is horrible isn't it!

fairyloveheart
08-01-09, 17:16
Fairy, please don't waste any cash on an MRI then....because that will come back clear and you still won't have a clear diagnosis. And if they refuse on the NHS then you're going to have to put it down and move on.

Atmo, I just don't know how. I think I have to get the MRI done for peace of mind..... I am a rational person (believe it or not) in all other walks of life and genuinely feel there is a misdiagnosis somewhere along the line.

It says on lots of reputable websites that a CT scan does not show all brain tumours including pituitary tumours....

I think I am convincing myself I just need to go and get one done don't you...!

xxx:doh:

fairyloveheart
09-01-09, 11:35
My neck hurts and I feel so much pressure in my face and a frontal headache. I have read neck pain can be a symptom of a brain tumour and it is getting progressively worse. Am waiting for my test results for blood, they have come into the doctors but the gp hasn't looked at them yet so they said to call back after 2.

Trixie
09-01-09, 13:12
My neck hurts and I feel so much pressure in my face and a frontal headache. I have read neck pain can be a symptom of a brain tumour and it is getting progressively worse. Am waiting for my test results for blood, they have come into the doctors but the gp hasn't looked at them yet so they said to call back after 2.

What is the waiting time for a MRI where you live?

Pudding
09-01-09, 13:26
Fairy have only just seen your post and I have been through the same sort of pain and still get it from time to time, had it for about 15 years in total. Mine is atypical facial pain but most things don't get rid of it. It's nerve pain and it's the worst kind of paid there is in my experience. Anti depressants helped me a little as they switch off the pain messages from the brain (not the new sort though). I take Dosulepin (was Prothiaden) and it helps enormously though not completely. It's far worse when I stressed and anxious and it is also triggered by clenching and grinding my teeth and I wondered if maybe you do that in your sleep. Since I have relaxed towards the cause of it the symptoms have definitely lessened but like you I went on a long search through all sorts of channels and never really got an answer.

Don't know if this helps you at all but I hope it does. Try not to tense up too much because you will make it worse.

Love Fran

fairyloveheart
09-01-09, 13:57
What is the waiting time for a MRI where you live?
Not sure? I have a feeling I will have to pay.....Will go back to docs next week when I have the blood results :weep:

Trixie
09-01-09, 15:16
Fairy have only just seen your post and I have been through the same sort of pain and still get it from time to time, had it for about 15 years in total. Mine is atypical facial pain but most things don't get rid of it. It's nerve pain and it's the worst kind of paid there is in my experience. Anti depressants helped me a little as they switch off the pain messages from the brain (not the new sort though). I take Dosulepin (was Prothiaden) and it helps enormously though not completely. It's far worse when I stressed and anxious and it is also triggered by clenching and grinding my teeth and I wondered if maybe you do that in your sleep. Since I have relaxed towards the cause of it the symptoms have definitely lessened but like you I went on a long search through all sorts of channels and never really got an answer.

Don't know if this helps you at all but I hope it does. Try not to tense up too much because you will make it worse.

Love Fran

http://facial-neuralgia.org/conditions/atfp.html

I had Trigeminal Neuralgia a couple of years ago the pain was horrendous but the doctor put me on Tagamet it was brilliant. I hope I never get it again.:mad:

Pudding
09-01-09, 15:48
Trixie, oh my goodness! Thank you so much! I have just looked at that website and it's amazing, I couldn't find anything much about it at the time. Mine all started with dental problems but I never got any of the tests they talk about, I was just treated like a neurotic woman who was making it all up! Everything it says I can relate to in some way and although it's kind of late for me it's nice to know it's there if I ever needed it again. I will keep it in my favourites.

Trigeminal Neuralgia is awful, I know several people who have this, there is an op you can have to cut the nerve I think but that's a bit extreme unless your life is completely ruined by it. Thanks so much for this info.

Fran

fairyloveheart
09-01-09, 18:46
Got some bloods back, FBC ok, Renal, Ok, Glucose OK, but am still awaiting Thyroid TSH and B12..... I'm scared of Thyroid, but at least it should show me whether there is a pituitary tumour (i think)
x

fairyloveheart
12-01-09, 08:18
I'm so frightened, I can't go on like this anymore. The pain in my face is relentless and has been since yesterday afternoon.

Trixie
12-01-09, 17:57
Trixie, oh my goodness! Thank you so much! I have just looked at that website and it's amazing, I couldn't find anything much about it at the time. Mine all started with dental problems but I never got any of the tests they talk about, I was just treated like a neurotic woman who was making it all up! Everything it says I can relate to in some way and although it's kind of late for me it's nice to know it's there if I ever needed it again. I will keep it in my favourites.

Trigeminal Neuralgia is awful, I know several people who have this, there is an op you can have to cut the nerve I think but that's a bit extreme unless your life is completely ruined by it. Thanks so much for this info.

Fran

And of course there is this forum http://www.tna.org.uk/forum_public/index.php?f=27

Trixie
12-01-09, 17:58
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/2689093.stm