PDA

View Full Version : wish my panic attacks had been diagnosed before 5 years

laura888
08-01-09, 20:22
it all started with a really bad headache it was like preasure on the head. so my boyfriend took me to hosital done tests sent me home nothing wrong. went to doctors by this time legs like jelly, eyes blurry, racing heart, never ate for 4 weeks, had ecg test came back fine. had brain scan 1year later as headaches were still there then another 3 years later i see my new doc. who told me i was suffering from panic attacks 5years on i still get them not as often. but would just liked for a doctor to diagnosed it sooner then i always think it would never have got to the stage were i lost 5 years ov my life in and out ov hospital and doctors. and when you under stand a panic attack they are much esier to control. and a lot more less frighting.

Nechtan
08-01-09, 20:29
Hi,

Try not to let it occupy your thoughts too much as it will just get you more frustrated. I completely agree though. It took more than 2 years for me to realise that all the problems I had which I had been to the doctors about and been laughed off every time were down to anxiety- I had to actually tell my GP. And it is bad enough that so many go undiagnosed but even when GPs discover the problem they do not have the knowledge to deal with it. I've had nothing of note from my GP and nothing from community mental health. All I have learned I have done off my own back which is ridiculous.

As standard anxiety is something that GPs should look for as so many people have it- though I know it is hard to diagnose. All too often when diagnosis is correct you are told you have anxiety and that is that without being given an explanation of that that entail not even the reassurance that it is not going to harm you. Surely a little bit of literature on the cause and what is happening to us wouldn't be so hard to organise for patients.

All the best

Nechtan

laura888
11-01-09, 19:31
it takes to long for them to tell you what you are suffering from and them when they find out you suffer from panic attacks. they just push you to one side because they know nothing serious is going to happen to you. but they are wrong as they would know if they have one them selfs. that they would be much esier to control at the early stages of panic attacks than not knowing what is wrong with you and keep having them day after day when i found out it was panic attacks i was suffering from. and done some looking up and how they are caused. and how to control them it makes them alot easier for me when i do have them and would like to think it did the same for every one else to.