PDA

View Full Version : Hallucinating on alcohol

LucyA
08-01-09, 21:05
Hi everyone,

I'm sorry to bring this up, I just kind of need to get it out of my system as I'm having a PA thinking about it.

One New Year's eve I got very drunk (although I have been that drunk many times before). I'd drunk half a bottle of vodka with my boyfriend and the last thing I remember was when the clock struck 12. Apparently after this he went upstairs but I went down to the kitchen to get some food. I remember vaguely being there and talking to lots of people...but I can't remember who. I apparently came back up a long time later wearing nothing on my bottom half (god knows why!). The funny thing is I know for a fact that my boyfriend and I were the only people in the house, but I was talking to 'people' downstairs. When My boyfriend didn't believe me (and i remember this bit) I thought he and 'everyone' downstairs were conspiring against me to kidnap me. Apparently I was inconsolable and wouldn't let him anywhere near me.

I woke up in the morning with me in the bed and him sleeping on the floor and remembered how utterly terrified I was the night before. Looking back on it the scariest part was when I thought for a moment that perhaps I was going mad. I know this is probably just a drunken thing, but surely hallucinating isn't right?

I've got a doctor's appointment this monday....do I mention it? He's pretty sceptical about stuff like this so I'm not sure. I do know that I'm staying well away from alcohol until I know what this was, and I will never drink that much again.
I was doing so well over Christmas; finally made it to the doctors after a year long fear, went on a plane for the first time and went in hundreds of shops but now I feel like I've taken a huge step back in having this panic attack. *Bleeping* anxiety!!

xxxx

LucyA
09-01-09, 13:50
Hi Tetley,

Thankyou so much for your reassurance :) Sometimes I think back to it and find it hard to rationalise and remember that it was just the drink doing it. When it happened I felt very similar to how I do when I have a panic attack, so I link the two and think I'm going mad or psychoti or something. I will definitely mention this to the doctor on monday as I don't want to become scared of alcohol!

Thanks again xxxx
:bighug1:

Nechtan
09-01-09, 14:18
I think these kind of episodes can happen even without the involvement of alcohol. I've not had anything as scary as your own but I have had the occassional time where I have thought I was up during the night and still unsure whether I was or not. Some people are more prone to it than others. But with alcohol, especially spirits, the mind blots alot out if we drink too much so then events are even more blurry. It could be something like sleep walking but dreaming too.

The doctor will put your mind at rest though.

All the best

Nechtan

sunshine-lady
09-01-09, 17:38
Hi Lucy,

Alcohol can certainly make you hallucinate. My Dad was an alcoholic (i'm not suggesting that you are at all) he used to hallucinate all of the time. He once thought the pattern on my Mums carpet was snakes so poured bleach over it. Another time he thought he had a horse in the back garden .... I could go on, but I think you will get the general idea. I'm sure if you don't drink to ecess in the future, this shouldnt happen again.

Take care xxxx