PDA

View Full Version : fear!!

denise84
04-07-05, 18:11
ever since i had a VERY detailed dream about a plane crashing near my house i get such a fear when a plane flys over my house and i feel i just cant bring myself to breath, and this happens alot as i live not to far away to a R.A.F base. does anyone else have this sort of fear? and whilst im posting anyway i just thought i would ask if maybe the symptoms im having has nothing to do with anxiety but depression as i have not long had a baby and wondered if that is the cause. although i have had these for nearly three years but it all started after i had my first child and then came back realy bad after i had my second which was in febuary.

dmcgovern

Piglet
06-07-05, 15:53
This is a funny one (not funny ha ha) but I too have had bad dreams concerning planes many times over many years.

I loathe flying fullstop but thats more of a fear that coincides with my fear of lifts ie: claustraphobia and because I don't have to do either on a regular basis, if ever, it doesn't really affect me overly much.

The dream one is a little different - we used to watch planes taking off at the airport when I was a kid and even then I used to watch with horrified fascination, at the whole process. I have often dreamt that while I was watching, the planes would crash etc etc. When 911 happened I was scared/shocked/saddened etc on about 10 different levels - the images were all like some terrible dream that coincided with mine (although mine were always genuine accident situations).

I have to say despite this incomprehensible happening and all my many years of dreams of planes crashing I can still retain some sort of perspective on it. I do realise that these things are incredibly rare (proper statistics show this) and the fact I have nightmares of this kind is only indicitive of my personal anxieties not of a very real danger. Thats the whole point of anxiety -- we are responding as if the threat is there and real when in actual fact so much of the time it isn't.

I see the scary stuff as a focus outlet for our anxiety which will obviously be different for different people. For instance I am not at all scared of spiders so I don't have bad dreams about them nor imagine scenarios involving them when I'm awake.

Remember Denise its just a scary thought not a real thing and take comfort from what Lucy's hubby has said.

Love Piglet

"Supposing a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?" said Piglet.
"Supposing it didn't," said Pooh after careful thought.

denise84
06-07-05, 16:09
yeah, thanx you guys for making me feel "safer", its helped alot.x.

dmcgovern