PDA

View Full Version : The worries NEVER stop!

Socalneurotic
10-01-09, 07:05
I ahve been concerned the past few days of having low grade fever on and off, never higher than 99.6. My normal is about 98.3. Now tonight I have taken it many times, 3 different thermometers and it is between 96-96.5 I dont get it. I am gonna go take a nice hot shower but I juat had a talk with my 4 year old remindeing her how and why to call 911 since hubby is working now. LOL I am so paranoid!

countrygirl
10-01-09, 23:20
20 years ago I was in hospital for a week for observation! and had my temp taken first thing in morning then again at 7pm and without fail every morning my temp was low 96. and every evening at 7pm it was just above normal slightly. the nurses all said that it is normal for your temp to be slightly above normal in the evening. also alot depends on what your activity was just before you took temp - moving around in the half hour before taking it increases it - have you eaten or drunk anything as that takes half an hour to get your mouth back to normal.

The most reliable way to take your temp is with an ear thermometer as that is not subject to outside influences BUT unless your temp is dangerously low like 35 or below or very high its best to forget about it.

NervousNellie
11-01-09, 02:59
Sounds to me like your body is doing a fantastic job of fighting off a bug! I have a slight OCD about body temperature. My daughter started kindergarten this year and had NEVER been sick before that. Now she has been chronically ill since October - battling pneumonia, sinus infections, viruses, etc. So I am constantly checking her temperature. It's like an addiction for me! But maybe what I have to say may help you....

Your body temperature certainly will fluctuate throughout the day. A temperature of 99.6 is not an actual fever - it's considered a working fever and should not be medicated. It's not a fever until it hits 100.4. I know, that, for instance, in the morning my body temperature is around 97. In the late afternoon/early evening it can get as high as 99.5. This type of fluctuation is normal for me. My daughter's temperature can go up to 99.6. Usually this happens between 4 and 5pm - that's the time of day when body temperature spikes. Nobody knows why, but it's a proven fact.

You may have a slight cold or virus, but if you're feeling fine, don't worry about it. If your temperature gets to the point where your body needs medication to bring it down, you will know it. I just went through a nasty virus in October where my temperature was 103. I couldn't stay awake and I was so cold that I was shivering! Since I'm obsessed with taking temperatures, I was very surprised when I was able to tell that it was time for more Tylenol without even taking my temperature! It's funny.....I have severe HA and suffer from all kinds of symptoms. But when I'm actually sick with a cold or virus, it's completely different and unmistakable. So if you're feeling OK, don't worry about your temperature. And if you feel like you're coming down with something, make sure you drink plenty of fluids and get some rest and you'll kick this bug in no time!! I usually find that the best medicine for me is my 2 little girls!

Hope this helps and hope that you feel better soon!!