PDA

View Full Version : choking feels like my throat is closing up

miss motown
10-01-09, 23:10
hi i havent posted for a while but i feel i just need some help on this one before i dash to a&e in a panic,well here goes ive had this discomfort at the back of my throat for a few days now its not that lump in the throat thing as ive had that a few times this is so different i feel like the back of my throat is closing up and im starting to panic i keep pulling at my throat to try and open it im starting to panic thinkin i might have a lump there and its goina close up i keep swallowing and now my mouth and throat feels so dry has anybody else experianced this im really panicking awww

Nechtan
10-01-09, 23:29
You have probably been told this before but it sounds very like Globus Hystericus. I have experienced the exact same symptoms and have become a serial throat puller but once I accepted that it was nothing more than this it went within a couple of days. It is hard to accept because it is a discomfort and feels like there is something wrong but it is probably what it is.

The dry throat and the sensation that your throat is constricted I have had at the same time but it has always gone. For a while I was getting it quite often for a few days at a time but I haven't had it in nearly a year now.

I hope this helps.

Nechtan

freakedout
10-01-09, 23:42
Hi,

Yes I get this, it is one of my symptoms of panic attacks and that was when I first used to get it, I thought I would choke and that my throat would close up and I would be unable to breath. It actually feels as though that is happening so it is difficult to calm down. Like you I would keep swallowing. It is awful, one of my scariest panic symptoms. I also get it when I am extremely anxious and it can seem to last for days, although it is intermittent, well I say it is intermittent because I do not think about it 24/7. It does pass but while it is there it is just awful, so I do sympathise.

Unfortunately I only have to read about this and I suddenly become aware of the sensation, I would recommend trying to divert your attention from it as much as possible. Easier said than done though.

Take care, and remember it WILL pass.

Freaky

connie1985
11-01-09, 05:08
I used to have the same thing 24/7 it started feeling like a lump but now Its more tight than anything! I used to feel sick with it because I was so worried that I would be sick but I never was, thank god!! I went to one session of hypnotherapy which REALLY helped me relax when I had it! The more I thought about it the worse it was so I decided to ignore it and it went away! I wouldn't wish this symptom on any1 but you will get thru it! Good luck pm me if u need anymore advice! Connie x

Nolan
12-01-09, 17:57
I've also had this problem the past week or so, something new to me, all this anxiety stuff but uh..
I find just slowing your breathing, helps a lot. It def calms me down, slowing my heartrate when I start freaking about it, which means less hyperventilating. It took me awhile to get used to but like most people here have already mentioned, it goes away eventually. You just hang in there, ya hear? :D
Good luck!

KelzBelz
12-01-09, 20:12
I also get this problem when i have attacks although i find it very frightening i find something to distract me from it, it does go away in time.
Good luck xx

TammyWammy66
01-07-09, 16:26
Hello there,
A few weeks ago I woke up with a very dry throat and mouth and the metallic taste/smell. I was told that this was from being on antibiotics but i have been off them for 1 week as of saturday. I still have the smell/taste and alot of time it will get so dry that it feels like my airway and throat are obstructed and right away I panic. I have gotten some mouth wash for dry mouth and yes it's expensive but it works well. I just wish i could get rid of this feeling and the smell/taste I don't think about it much anymore but i still get the feelings and the taste smell. I have asked my doc about this well actually 2 doc's and they both say they don't know what it is or how to get rid of it.The do tell me it's nothing to worry about and my throat will not go shut but i still panic everytime i smell/taste this or feel my throat is getting drier.
I hope your throat problems go away for you fast.
Take care and blesss you,
Tammywammy66

den68
01-07-09, 20:40
I used to get the lump in the throut feeling alot, so what i did was sip water that proved to me i could swallow, try to distract yourself if you can that helps. i also found sucking a sweet helped. Only get it occasionally now when having full blown panic
den 68