PDA

View Full Version : Diazepam vs Lorazepam

freakedout
11-01-09, 00:23
Hi,

I am having a difficult time at the moment with anxiety among other things but have benefitted from taking Diazepam 5mg on an 'as and when needed' basis previously. The last time I asked my GP for a prescription he was quite firm when he said that my problems are 'long term' and that taking Diazepam can become a problem in itself and that it is not the answer. He did give me a prescription but I consider myself 'lectured' and to be honest a little upset that he may be reluctant to prescribe them in future. In many respects Diazepam is a lifeline and does help me face situations that otherwise would be out of the question.

I discussed this with my CPN and she told me that the Psychiatrists tend to prescribe Lorazepam and not Diazepam. The last time I saw the Psychiatrist he was open to prescribing something for the anxiety but I said I was OK with Diazepam.

As I am struggling at the mo, I have discussed this with my most splendid friend and am considering asking for Lorazepam to help me through the next couple of weeks if need be.

I would really like to hear of your experiences with these two drugs, or any suggestions at all.

Thanks,

Freaky

sunshine-lady
11-01-09, 00:41
Hi Freaky

I have experiance of both of these medications and to be honest they should only be used over a very short time. I have been taking Diazepam for many years and apparently they can have an adverse effect after a certain time. I am now down to 15mg per day and am slowly working to get off them altogether.

Diazepam works over a longer period than lorazepam. Lorazepam can 'hit' you almost straight away, but leaves your body quicker than Diazepam. To be honest you are better off not taking any benzodiazpines. like drinking, they only mask things for a short period. You maybe better off going to the roots and discovering what is making you so anxious. Has your GP suggested any other medication, counselling or CBT?

freakedout
11-01-09, 01:09
Hi Sunshine-lady,

Thanks for your reply, I am currently taking Mirtazapine 45mg and as I said Diazepam every now and then, but I am in the process of unearthing some dreadful things with my therapists and I dont see anyone again for two weeks, I just feel that I will not survive that long. I have 13 Diazepam tablets left but feel like I will need a few quick fixes until I am seen next. It would literally be a very short term thing to help me through this acute period. I feel like the only way I will manage is to sleep myself through it.

Can you become addicted in such a short time, ie 10-14 days?

Hope 2
11-01-09, 03:32
Hi Freaky

I think there is no harm in taking something short term to help you through.

I base this on the fact that I was given diazepam by my GP to take up to 3 times daily, I found I used them just now and then. This was for an acute anxiety episode, and was for one month only due to the risk of addiction.

As you said, short term, quick fix, should be fine.

I hope you find some respite in your time of terribleness.

Keep on keeping on Freaky
You will find your way
Julia

freakedout
11-01-09, 17:57
Thanks Hope,

I think I will take my diazepam and see how I feel in a few days.

Freaky

Sleepless999
11-01-09, 18:32
Both drugs do the same thing, but Diazepam has the longest half life of all benzos. Lorazepam on the other hand has a very short half life, which if taken for any length of time, can cause a mini-withdrawal every day which in itself will cause you extreme anxiety. Diazepam is the first choice for tapering off benzos. - it never stays an "as and when" drug for very long and you will soon become reliant on it - I have been withdrawing for 18 months and it has been hell - please try not to go there, you'll regret it in the end even though at first, it seems like a wonder drug.

freakedout
12-01-09, 09:37
Thanks Skippy for your advice.