PDA

View Full Version : I don't know if i can

alihud
11-01-09, 17:20
Hey there,am trying to make some big descisions at the moment about my future.As alot of you know i have a florist shop but have been really struggling this past six months for various reasons and am now in the last year of my lease so by June i need to decide whether to carry on or not,my heart really isn't in it anymore and feel like i could do with a complete change as well as a need to earn more money.My first thought is too train to be anurse but am wondering if i'm actually up to the stress of it,of organising it all with the children and the dogs to think about and what if i don't actually like it once ive started doing it?Soon as i try to do anything my anxiety starts ad then all the self doubt comes in.I also think i am probably too old now,i'm 40 by the time i trained i would be 44,would i physically be able to cope?am also looking into trainig to be a counsellor and have actually applied for the course and am wonderig if this might be thebest way for me to go.I know i have to answer all this myself i just don't want the anxiety getting the better of me and stopping me from having a good future.I feel so confused.
Ali xx

sunshine-lady
11-01-09, 17:39
Hi to my fellow greyhound lover!

Sorry that are in such a turmoil at the moment. 40 is deffinatley not too old to make a carrer change. I think you would both a great nurse, or Counsellor as you have such a caring nature. Look what happened with your foster dog? You just couldn't part with her.

I think you need to listen to your heart and go for what you truely want.

Dianne

Graz
11-01-09, 17:54
I think you aught to be congratulated for running the florist- that takes an awful amount of time, effort, energy and courage, really well done :hugs:

Counselling might be the best option, as I would say nursing can be quite stressful- but go into it easy. If you're a good listener and can understand others' feelings, then I'd say go for it. :)

bottleblond
11-01-09, 18:21
Ali

I know things have been really difficult for you for this past while and i know how low it has made you feel. :flowers:

About the career choice, If you have a passion to become a nurse then you owe it to yourself to follow your dreams. Yes it will be difficult to juggle life, the kids and the dogs but at the end of your training, you would have a qualification that would stay with you forever. 44 is not old mate Lol, alot of women are leaving having a career now until after they have brought their families up so i'm sure you wouldn't be the only mature student.

Whatever you decide to do, make sure it is the right choice for YOU and will make you happy. You deserve it.

Lots of Love
Lisa
xxx

:bighug1:

suzy-sue
11-01-09, 20:10
SORRY YOU VE BEEN HAVING SUCH A DIFFICULT TIME ALI!40 IS NOT TOO OLD TO CHANGE CAREER !!AND WHATEVER YOU CHOOSE,IM SURE YOU"LL FIND AN AREA IN THE NEW ONE THAT WILL SUIT YOU.GOOD LUCK! SUE:flowers: XX

Worrier
12-01-09, 17:14
Ali,

I think you would be a great counsellor - you are kind, caring, supportive and a great personality.

Can I be your first patient when you get qualified?? LOL

Take care and do what you think is best for you mate.

Natalie

BasilCat
12-01-09, 18:16
Ali, I am 51 and am going to "An introduction to Counselling" course in the morning. I too have wondered if I am "too old" for a career change but they say "Its never too late to learn" dont they. The course is free and runs for 2 hours, 10 hours a week. I dont know what I will do or think at the end of it. I have to drive 12 miles to the course, something I couldnt have even thought of doing a year ago.

Also, I am wanting to do a Beauty Therapy Course at the near by college. Trouble is, Student Services gave me the wrong info last week and today I find out its going to cost twice as much. Also, They told me that the college sorted out placements in Beauty Salons. But this is wrong too. I would have to find my own. Not easy as I would not fancy being with young girls all day as I have got a "complex" about my age! So its finding somewhere locally where there arent all teenagers, girls in their 20s etc working there.

Anyway I wish you all the best with the Counselling and I will see what tomorrow brings - its only for 10 weeks on a Tuesday morning. At the end I will have to review the situation.

Shirley

karenb
13-01-09, 17:10
Ali

I know you have been having a hard time of it lately.

You are a lovely person. Whatever you decide to do regtarding your future you will be good at..... Go with your heart hun...
Lots of love to you. Karen :hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs: