PDA

View Full Version : Can you cry?

Sax
05-07-05, 06:51
Hi, just wanted to know if i am unusual that I don't seem to be able to cry. I so need to because it would relieve so many pent up emotions but I am just not able. Is this normal? Have I gone beyond crying? Do others feel the same?
I was asked by the dr if I was feeling weepy all the time and I replied no not at all but she didn't make any comment. Not sure if I should - when I have a good day it makes me think 'how stupid I am, and that maybe I'm not depressed at all' but then I get a low day and realise 'yes,maybe I am!'

Are others the same or does everyone else cry a lot?

seh1980
05-07-05, 10:25
I don't cry all the time but I can and do cry..:D

"Life is too important to take seriously" Corky Siegal

Peru83
05-07-05, 10:38
I don't cry all the time, Infact very rarely. I find I cry at things like films i.e Ghost and Titanic (they get me everytime), most of all though I cry at the NSPCC adverts - the one with Mylo standing in his cot crying, that has me in a very emotional state, also the cancer advert where the little boy is looking in the mirror and his mother apears behind him and tells him 'Don't forget your hanky'. I'm getting emotional just thinking about them. So I suppose what I am trying to say is my triggar for crying are sad movies and anything to do with children being abused, abandoned or being alone - I think this is because I think of my own children. Try and find what upsets you. What makes you emotional? What do you feel strongly about?

I hope this helps.

claire

"Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!"

clickaway
05-07-05, 10:54
Sax, I hit a few low points last winter when I degenerated into crying.

But it was hard, and often could only do so when speaking to someone - I live on my own. Maybe it was the relief of someone being there to comfort me that helped me get those tears out.

Cheers,

Ray

Don't wait around for other people to be happy for you. Any happiness you get you've got to make yourself.--Alice Walker

Piglet
05-07-05, 12:53
I used to bottle things up and then when I first started with anxiety I couldn't stop crying - I think I was crying for all the situations and things that had hurt me or frightened me during the preceding years that I shoulda cried about at the time.

After that I didn't cry again for ages - its the old feeling out of control thingy isn't it which scares you.

Recently I watched an incredibly sad film (didn't know it was sad when I got it) and I positively howled, along with my kids. At first I was scared but realised watching the others shamelessly crying, that this was a perfectly normal reaction to a moving situation (more abnormal not to cry actually) so I fully immersed myself and wept, ruining my make-up, hurting my throat and dripping with snot (nice). Most importantly I realised that it wasn't dangerous, I wasn't going to go shreiking off into the distance to planet 'tears', it is safe to cry and its a good release of pent up emotion and while I don't want to do it every minute of of every day I'm now beginning not to be scared of it.

Love Piglet

"Supposing a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?" said Piglet.
"Supposing it didn't," said Pooh after careful thought.

Sax
05-07-05, 12:59
Piglet,

What you are saying though is that it is abnormal not to be able to cry - nothing makes me want to cry! I feel I've gone way beyond crying and don't know how to anymore.
It makes me sad and confused that I don't seem to have an emotions!

zena
05-07-05, 13:03
I was the same as Piglet when I first got panics I tended to cry alot.

After that it was films but even when my Mum died I didn't cry that much....when I was on my own though that was different.

I've changed though..at the moment can cry over anything at the drop of a hat, but, am going through some stuff and gradually getting on top.

It's not a bad thing to cry lets the pent up feeling s you have go.

I have to agree with Piglet as I normally do.
Take care honey

with good wishes

Zena

Peru83
05-07-05, 13:21
Hi Sax,

I have searched the web for your problem and have come up with something that you might like to check out

http://www.healthboards.com/boards/archive/index.php/t-140739.html

Hope this helps

"Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!"

Piglet
05-07-05, 13:30
Ahh, mate you are not at all abnormal you're just at a stage where you can't cry and I've certainly been like that and I'm sure loads of us have felt the same. Go with the flow for now your emotions will sort themselves out in due course (we all feel numb at times).

Lots of love
Piglet

"Supposing a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?" said Piglet.
"Supposing it didn't," said Pooh after careful thought.

Karen
05-07-05, 13:41
Hi Sax

I also find it impossible to cry, no matter how low I am feeling or how much I feel like I need to cry.

I've tried everything, because I often feel like I need to release the emotion. I've tried watching sad movies, particularly ones that usually make me cry. But nothing works.

Think depression just affects some people like that.

Karen

It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it is not possible to find it elsewhere.

Donna
05-07-05, 15:21
I have found it hard to cry in the past too, i normally just watch a really sad film, like the green mile and that gets me blubbering.

Take care
Donna x

Meg
05-07-05, 15:54
When I was acute I so needed to cry and I couldn't and couldn't . Eventually it was a little act of kindness that started me off and I howled for England for a while and then it subsided.

If you're on meds it can supress all emotions

the lesser of two evils??? (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3354)
Feeling flat (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3039)

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

pips
05-07-05, 17:27
Hi Sax,

I get days when I over cry at times over nothing in paticular. I hate it when i get so weepy.

Take care,

Love PIP'S X X

mjh74
07-07-05, 10:28
Hi Sax,

My meds seem to have supressed the ability to cry though I have had one bought recently I feel pretty numb to most things. When I'm feeling really bad and could do with a good release I feel nothing. So you're not alone by any means!

Mark