PDA

View Full Version : Starting on Mirtazapine

sandman
12-01-09, 13:21
Hi all
I was previously on Citalapram and then Sertraline both of which gave me extremely itchy skin. This morning my doctor gave me Mirtazapine so hopefuly i will get on better with these.
Has anybody had any really good or bad experiences with this med.
I suffer from stress anxiety and depression and my previous tablets were just starting to lift my mood but i couldn't tolerate the itching any more. I will let you know how i get on after a couple of days.

jo61
12-01-09, 20:00
I've been on mirtazapine for years and swear by it . You will probably feel a bit groggy for the first week or so but for me it settled down. Let us know how you get on :hugs:

Kurukulla
13-01-09, 20:07
Hi there. This has been my best experience on antidepressants. It is a wonder drug in many ways. I've been on it two years and have slept like baby every single night I've taken it and that alone makes a big difference! It doesn't affect libido and it does work. The only thing is the weight gain. I think about food all the time and have gained a stone in two years. My GP has just switched me to prozac because the weight gain is affecting my health in other ways. Such a shame that it has to have this draw back as in every other way it's fine.

sandman
16-01-09, 22:40
Hi all.
I took the Mirtazapine and felt absolutely awful and dizzy almost straight away. This feeling stayed with me for the whole of the following day. I really can't afford to take time off work so i spoke to my doctor and she prescribed fluoxetine. It is still early days but at the moment they seem to be working okay.

ElizabethJane
16-01-09, 23:00
I took mirtazapine for just under a year. It worked well for me supplementing other meds that I am on. I experienced improved sleep and it helped my low mood and suicidal feelings. I had problems with weight gain however gaining a stone and a half. The first half srone dropped off almost immediately I stopped taking it. I had bad problems with withdrawal though and had two 'goes' at trying to come of of it. I experienced severe withdrawal syndrone and my experiences are documented on here. As an anti depressant it worked well in the the short term. Long term however it wasn't for me. If I experience another crisis my psychiatrist will try duloxetine. I hope it works for you.

freakedout
18-01-09, 00:42
Hi I started on 15mg Mirt then gradually had it increased to 45mg which is what I currently take. It has been the only antidepressant I have taken that has helped me sleep. You have to take it at night cos you start staggering around within an hour of taking it. It does give me an appetite too, although this does depend on my mood. I still feel depressed and sometimes very very depressed during which time I have no appetite. On better days I pick at food all day long. I have gained weight and lost a bit then gained again. I needed to gain weight though so am just about normal now (well my weight I mean!!!! - I dont think I will ever be NORMAL!!).

I hope it helps you.

Freaky