PDA

View Full Version : Confessions of a near-recovered hypochondriac

Cyberchondriac
12-01-09, 13:32
Hello guys and girls,

Let me introduce myself. My name's Stephen and I'm a near-recovered hypochondriac and general anxiety sufferer. I've been a worrier all my life but my anxiety hit me hard in 2002, while I was at University.

My ex-girlfriend's mother passed away in the Summer of 2002. While she wasn't in the best shape, she was very young (only just 50, I believe.) To my mind, this was the trigger. From this moment on, I simply wasn't the same.

My first panic attack happened a few weeks later. I was walking back from my campus one Winter evening, when I came over strange. Then my heart started racing. At first I thought I was having a heart attack. This made me panic even more. I could barely breathe. I felt dizzy. I wanted to sit down on a nearby bench but at the same time I wanted to run, as fast and as far away as my legs could take me.

That was the first out of many to come.

As I mentioned, hypochondria was my anxiety of choice. Over the years, I 'had' a brain tumour, a multitude of other cancers, vCJD, MS, appendicitis, heart disease, epilepsy, TB... and when I say I 'had' these things, I don't mean I was thinking 'oh god, what if I have this...?' There were no 'ifs' about it. It felt like I had been DIAGNOSED with these things by the crazy little doctor in my head.

I learnt the hard way. After lots of tests and meetings with doctors and long, lonely nights on the internet learning that there were, indeed, others like me, I was pretty much forced to comes to terms with the fact that....... wait for it...

...I'M NOT ILL! :ohmy:

I'd say my anxiety was really bad until a couple of years ago. I've been getting better ever since. I attribute my recovery to a number of things, ranging from seemingly minimal (comedy shows, movies) to great support (from friends, including online.)

I think the biggest key is knowing that you're not alone, no matter how isolated you feel. That's why places like this are great. They bring us together.

So, I guess that was just my long-winded way of saying 'hey' :)

lorac
12-01-09, 13:37
Hi Stephen

Welcome to the site, great post and it's good to have you on board.

Take care

Carol

Patty
12-01-09, 13:44
Hi Stephen, :)

:welcome: to NMP. It's great that you've joined. There is so much information & help here.

I am so pleased to hear that you're feeling much better now. :yesyes:

I totally agree with you when you say:

I think the biggest key is knowing that you're not alone, no matter how isolated you feel. That's why places like this are great. They bring us together.

Best wishes :D

satjason
12-01-09, 14:23
hi stephen

everything youve said is very much what i am going through at the moment along with other things, its so good to see that you can get better.

all my best wishes jason

Dragon
12-01-09, 18:33
Hi Stephen,

You have hit the nail on the head with your post and as you mentioned knowing we are not alone is a massive boost during the difficult days.

Regards,

Dragon

weeble40
12-01-09, 18:34
Hi and a big welcome to NMP its great to have you here, hope to see you in chat sometime,

Take care

Emma xxx