PDA

View Full Version : im going to dye - lung cancer

penniepie
13-01-09, 15:25
Im having the biggest panic attack of my life….Im not going to be around for my children or enjoy my life with my family.

I was watching a show on vermiculite and asbestos….and I remembered about 10 years ago my dad renovating out house and there being falling vermiculite everywhere!....i guess we didn’t know much about it and during the reno he cleaned it up and go rid of it I guess as fast as he could….While watching this show they mentioned exposure causing lung cancer 20-30 years down the road – even after one exposure….this is it…. L

Im sooo depressed – I don’t know what to do….I just got engaged, bought a home and now lung cancer is probably infesting me and my families lungs….

This type of cancer o of course I goggled it is directly related to the exposure and can not be detected by any tests until it is symptomatic and then that’s pretty much it prognosis isn’t good….i cant tell you all how depressed I am – its sooo sad L

Duckie
13-01-09, 15:36
I know I freak out about lung cancer and brain tumors. I get very irriated. Try to see if I have any symptoms that match or maybe i am ignoring it or maybe I did have something and I missed it.

I get scared too. Because I love my children and hubby, I want to be around for a long time. I also have heart problems so sometimes I can't sleep at night knowing that I could possibly have another surgery.

My heart doctor says I am doing good. But fear still lingers.

Like my Dad says worry when you cross that bridge. I hope I burn that bridge for it even comes.

Trixie
13-01-09, 16:10
I know I freak out about lung cancer and brain tumors. I get very irriated. Try to see if I have any symptoms that match or maybe i am ignoring it or maybe I did have something and I missed it.

I get scared too. Because I love my children and hubby, I want to be around for a long time. I also have heart problems so sometimes I can't sleep at night knowing that I could possibly have another surgery.

My heart doctor says I am doing good. But fear still lingers.

Like my Dad says worry when you cross that bridge. I hope I burn that bridge for it even comes.

Nearly all have us have been in contact with asbestos sometime or other. Ironing boards,oven mitts in school,chemistry classes, the list goes on.:blush:

penniepie
13-01-09, 16:13
i just read an article about a lady and her family all having cancer due to her home having it during her childhood...

I literally am crying at my desk - there is nothing i can do all i can think about is what is already in my lungs forming cancer for the next 20 years

god...

anxious
13-01-09, 16:34
please don't worry about this. Its people that worked with it (daily) that have problems.

penniepie
13-01-09, 16:50
im reading about single exposure risks :(

mf
13-01-09, 17:21
Hello Penniepie

I can imagine how anxious you are feeling and there may not be anything that i can say to make you feel less anxious. Several years ago my husband and i took down a ceiling in an old house and i am not convinced that there was not some asbestos there,and i have had moments of concern about it.. The fact is that i think that we are all probably exposed to something everyday without realising it, from what we breathe in and to the foods we eat, we really could drive ourselves mad worrying and thinking about it.. I have known people that have smoked heavily all their lives and lived well into their eighties and have not died of lung cancer or any lung related disease.. I suffer with terrible bouts of anxiety and did have had a fear of skin cancer developing due to the use of sunbeds many years ago, i literally did drive myself mad with anxiety and had to have treatment because i could not even sleep at night worrying about it.. I am ok now, i still suffer with anxiety but its not about the sunbed anymore. A counsellor said to me that we should only think about today and not worry about tomorrow,take each day as it comes as none of us knows what is going to happen to us in the future, i try to think of that when i am having a really bad anxiety episode and worrying about what if ( not easy to practise) but i try..

panicagain
13-01-09, 17:59
Hi,,,:hugs: I'm probably not one to help right now since i've been panicing pretty good for several days but you didn't mention having symptoms,,,Do you have any? I know of people that have had lung cancer so i know the symptoms but i'm not gonna list them here. Just wondering what your symptoms are if any:bighug1:

Trixie
13-01-09, 18:07
i just read an article about a lady and her family all having cancer due to her home having it during her childhood...

I literally am crying at my desk - there is nothing i can do all i can think about is what is already in my lungs forming cancer for the next 20 years

god...

I am going to be a bitch now. Why are you worrying about 20yrs into the future? Say by some remote chance you did have something in 20yrs time they will have found a cure for it. Anyway a lot can happen between now and then so stop worrying.

penniepie
13-01-09, 18:13
that is quite true - you never know what medicines or anything they may have in 20 years but its still sending me into a panic...

Trixie
13-01-09, 18:15
that is quite true - you never know what medicines or anything they may have in 20 years but its still sending me into a panic...

And for the next 20 yrs you will spend your time worrying and then at the end of the 20yrs not get it at all-what a waste.:blush:

Derek
13-01-09, 18:21
Thats so true and the only answer i have been able to come up with is why waste your life worrying about what probably, and most probably will NOT happen to you, we all well know its easier said than done, but for someone to actually say why the hell are you worring about that is the only way sometimes to break the chain ~ if you think back, like i often do, can you remember things you USED to worry about that was taken over by something else, that you no longer worry about?

I bet we all can if we try.

Which brings everything into perspective a bit ~ i can remember something i worried about for years when i was about 12 years old, it was very, very upsetting but proved to be nothing what so ever, many wasted tears & sleepless nights over nothing....

DM

penniepie
13-01-09, 18:25
that is true i guess....sometimes its hard to avoid...seeing those commericals on tv at night my heart starts to race ya know

penniepie
13-01-09, 18:53
im having trouble breathing :( im scared and panicing

mf
13-01-09, 19:49
when you are worrying or anxious about something in particular you can become fixated on it almost to the exclusion of thinking about anything else, when i was going through a health related anxiety i stopped buying magazines as there would often be some horror story of someone suffering with some illness and i would switch over the tv if anything came on that was related to sunbeds....

penniepie
15-01-09, 14:48
i need someone im a mess :(

Utility
15-01-09, 21:55
Hi

Please try to stop worrying about this.

The chances of such a thing happening are so remote it is not worth all the worry you are going through. Remember what set you off on this thought process in the first place - a TV programme that is made to be as dramatic as possible. How do they achieve this? By giving examples of worst case senarios. After all, did they say anything about the vast majority of people that had come into one off contact with such material and didn't develop anything in later years. No they didn't, because that would be boring TV.

Think with a positive attitude, eat a good balanced diet, drink plenty of water, do some exercise, and don't watch programmes like that. You will live a long and happy life.

penniepie
15-01-09, 22:00
Im actually feeling like my life is pretty much over...i just read an article about someone that has incureable asbestose related lung cancer from his dad removing an asbestose covered furnance - one shot one time 20 years ago. Im having horrible thoughts - just horrible...i dont know what to do guys

ams
15-01-09, 22:16
Step 1 is to stop reading. You're not going to make yourself feel better doing that. Prying yourself away from the computer may be hard, and it won't solve things right away, but if you don't, you'll get stuck reading more and more dire stuff that may never apply to you.

We all come into contact every day with things that cause cancer. As many people have stated, some smokers live a looong time, and people who have worked with carcinogens every day never get cancer. We don't totally know why this is, but worry about single exposure lung cancer developing 20 years from now will get you nowhere.

Step away from the computer. Talk to someone. Sometimes speaking these fears out loud to someone else helps us to realize how illogical they are.

NervousNellie
16-01-09, 00:20
Hi,

I have the answer that you need to hear....my husband is a building scientist. He has worked with asbestos, vermiculite, mold, etc. all of his life and he is considered to be one of the best building scientists in the USA. In order to have a SLIM chance of developing lung cancer from vermiculite, he said that you need to be directly (as in physically) in contact with it every single day of your life. And by being in contact, he means touching and working with it (such as removing it) on a DAILY basis. The chances of developing lung cancer from vermiculite, even if you are in constant contact with it, is extremely slim, but the manufacturers always put out a warning on these products just to cover their own butts. They pretty much consider it an occupational hazard.

So please rest assured that there is no way possible that you will ever have lung cancer from your minimal exposure to vermiculite. And this is coming from a scientist.....

NervousNellie
16-01-09, 00:40
Penniepie,

I just read all of the posts in this thread, which I didn't do before I replied. I don't know where you're reading all of this information, but there is absolutely NOT A CHANCE IN HELL, that someone could develop cancer from one-time exposure!!!!! That means everybody better hide from the sun because if it gets anywhere near our skin, even once, we're going to end up with skin cancer!!!

If you believe anything about one-time exposure to anything, the world better look out because we should all be dead by now....sorry to be so harsh, but I don't think I've ever heard of anything more ridiculous in my life!! You don't know the story behind the story with these folks. That person that you read about that ended up with lung cancer due to "one time exposure" to asbestos....do you think that they forgot to mention that he smoked 5 packs of cigarettes a day for the past 30 years and before he was exposed to asbestos he worked over a fryer in a restaurant for 20 years??? Maybe that had something to do with his "sudden" lung cancer after one-time asbestos exposure???? The media doesn't give you the whole story and they certainly cannot expose someone's previous medical history. Please don't believe a word that you read....it's all for entertainment purposes!!

penniepie
16-01-09, 17:12
wow nervous nelllie - you made me feel soooo much better! sooo much!
Thank you so much for sharing your story with me and the advice from your husband...you made me feel so much better. It feels good hearning about that from a professional that works with the asbestose and vermiculite

thank you again and again

penniepie
16-01-09, 17:13
i just really want to thank you guys all here i dont know what i would do without you guy...really...truely

NervousNellie
17-01-09, 04:43
You are so very welcome! I'm so glad that I knew someone that had the facts - there was no guessing on this one! :yesyes:

penniepie
20-01-09, 16:55
im starting to get tightness and shortness of breath :(

amandaj
20-01-09, 17:00
i get that daily its anxiety i know its hard to belive

NervousNellie
20-01-09, 17:05
It's just your anxiety....try to distract yourself and forget about it. I know it's hard, but if you can do it, you'll see for yourself that it will go away!! But you have to be truly distracted or it won't work....

amandaj
20-01-09, 17:12
mine never goes away regardless it wakes me in night but after ecgs etc i got to start believing i know its so diffcult if you want to talk anytime can always pm me

amanda

penniepie
21-01-09, 15:36
oh gosh today is a bad day - my chest feels very tight and my breathing is very hard today - i have had this in the last couple months :(