PDA

View Full Version : Afraid to sleep/nighmares

Duckie
13-01-09, 18:48
Ok so I get nighmares the most recently one I had was very real. I couldn't take it off.

Do you get anixety about going to sleep? Or afraid you are going to have a nightmare again? I was up all night after I had woken up from that dream.

I still remember how awful it was. I don't want to go into details but one of my children was involved. I saw it slow motion.

KelzBelz
13-01-09, 19:08
After my first panic attack i was petrified of going to sleep due to the fear of dying in my sleep (that fear stemmed from my first attack) and my son would wake up and find me dead (i was living in my own with my son at the time)
Even now with living with hubby i still have that fear everytime i have an attack i'm scared to sleep hubby usually has to stay awake to keep watch.
Like you nightmares usually trigger it again my nightmares usually focus on my family.
I hope you are able to sleep tonight, your not alone in this.
Take care hun xxx

feels_like_home
13-01-09, 22:25
I have been having a lot of nightmares recently. I am having a hard time shaking them when I wake up. This usually brings on panic and anxiety. I try to get up and do something right away. I took a dream course during university and I remember the professor telling us not to turn your head when you first wake up so you will remember your dreams better. I am now doing the opposite. I move right away in hopes I will soon forget the dream. Hope you get a better nights rest.
Michelle

Duckie
13-01-09, 23:12
I usually wake up Hubby when I get them. I bawl my eyes out. I feel like such a big baby. I am so sensitive when it comes to dreams. I don't like being alone either if I have had a nightmare so it's impossible for me to get up and do something.

I like to sleep with the light on, even if it's a little night light.

alias_kev
13-01-09, 23:39
Dreams (esp. bad ones) can be a strong force, the worst the dream the hardest it maybe to completely wake up and/or forget it.

If you are on any medication it may be intensifying the dreams, giving more nightmares or just letting your mind remember your normal dreams more. I wonder if the meds just make the dream more accessible to our waking mind so we report more bad dreams and have more trouble losing them.

Also when we are anxious or depressed our minds are often pretty good at identifying and latching onto negative things - even if they were in dreams - so thats another reason its hard.

If you have had a bad dream it may be a good idea to wake up fully and/or distract your brain for a bit. Walk about, read some of a book, watch a little TV. That way you don't keep replaying the dream to yourself transfering the worst bits from dream memory to full-time memory.

Hope that helps, just my thoughts since my dreams have been intensified a bit by my meds.

Duckie
14-01-09, 00:20
Dreams (esp. bad ones) can be a strong force, the worst the dream the hardest it maybe to completely wake up and/or forget it.

If you are on any medication it may be intensifying the dreams, giving more nightmares or just letting your mind remember your normal dreams more. I wonder if the meds just make the dream more accessible to our waking mind so we report more bad dreams and have more trouble losing them.

Also when we are anxious or depressed our minds are often pretty good at identifying and latching onto negative things - even if they were in dreams - so thats another reason its hard.

If you have had a bad dream it may be a good idea to wake up fully and/or distract your brain for a bit. Walk about, read some of a book, watch a little TV. That way you don't keep replaying the dream to yourself transfering the worst bits from dream memory to full-time memory.

Hope that helps, just my thoughts since my dreams have been intensified a bit by my meds.

I am a very visual person, since I have a hearing loss. So my eyes are everything to me. Pictures, photography, they speak to my mind. They can give me comfort or terror.

I hate that how much power it feel when I get nightmares.